Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 09:24 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 09:24

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Finance, Technology Management
Schools:Columbia, Stern, Darden, UNC, McCombs, MIT
 Q47  V36
Send PM
Intern
Intern
 Q47  V36
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
 Q50  V41
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: Calling all Darden Fall 2010 Applicants! [#permalink]
madbubbles wrote:
Hey all, Darden finally broke the silence. I am an international applicant and I received my interview invite on Dec 12th. :) But the mail has no special instructions for international interviews. So I have mailed the Darden adcom seeking info. I will update about their reply. Any other international applicants got the update ?

Congrats! :-D

Nope, I did not get an invite last week... :cry: I hope they send out more invites this week...
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Schools:Darden (R1), Ross (R1), Stern (R1), Fuqua (R1), Booth (R2)
Send PM
When should we domestic applicants give-up hope for an interview? If we don't hear anything before the admissions office closes for the holidays are we done?

I know the Darden website says invites can be extended until Jan. 28th...but I am getting more nervous by the day...
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 56 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
Concentration: General
Schools:Ross Class of 2012
 Q47  V40
Send PM
All we have to go on is Sara Nehar's word that invites will be sent out until January 28th and thus I would tell you not to give up now or even after the holidays as its counter too all information thats been officially released. No point in getting down unless you actually get word of something. Good luck Crashing.
Intern
Intern
 Q50  V41
Send PM
Crashing wrote:
When should we domestic applicants give-up hope for an interview? If we don't hear anything before the admissions office closes for the holidays are we done?

I know the Darden website says invites can be extended until Jan. 28th...but I am getting more nervous by the day...

Latest update from Sara Neher about international invites on her video blog in which she says process is alive till January end.
https://blogs.darden.virginia.edu/admissions/2009/12/14/international-applicant-interviews-and-the-week-on-wall-street-job-trek/
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [1]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Healthcare
Schools:R1: Kellogg WL, Haas WL, Fuqua, Darden R2: Wharton
 Q48  V44
GPA: 3.09
WE 1: Biotech Strategy
WE 2: Health Economics
Send PM
Kudos
dr2005 wrote:
Had my interview with a member of the AdCom this morning. All interviews are 100% blind, she knew nothing about me or my application. It started with her asking questions about my childhood, where I was from, what my family was like, etc. We progressed through undergrad and my career, but rather than focusing on "resume-type" accomplishments, we talked more about WHY I made certain decisions, and what matters to me.

We eventually got to "why MBA", but I was never directly asked "why Darden". I tried to weave a few pieces of "why Darden" into our conversation. Before I knew it 45 mins was up, she gave me the opportunity to ask questions....so we talked about job prospects for a bit. After an hour we were still chatting, but she had to cut it off.

Overall I think (hope) it went well, but with interviews like this its always hard to tell. I forgot to mention a few things that I'd hoped to work in. Oh well.

My advice to those still yet to interview:
- create a mini-list of items you for sure want to cover (interesting anecdotes), its easy to get caught up in the conversation, then before you know it you missed your chance to talk about that interesting undergrad EC (since you're already talking about your job)
- be ready to NOT talk about accomplishments, she almost seemed disinterested when I did. I guess it makes sense, there is no point to just regurgitate your resume during the interview - they already have it on file. Talk about something ELSE, something interesting/dynamic
- do your homework and be able to convey sincere interest in the program (I honestly think this is a big part of the interview...they try to gauge this)

She said her comments would be added to my overall application file, then it would undergo a final review and a decision would be made.

Thanks Dr. +1 Kudos

I had my interview yesterday and this advice is pretty much spot on. I didn't really mention any resume worthy accomplishments and she didn't seem like she was looking for them. I was able to mention one as we were walking out the door but it just naturally came from the conversation.

A few notes to add:

1) I think the interviews around now will be more adcom heavy, while later ones may be more likely to be with a student. Rough guess is that 60% of people had theirs with an adcom (I did)

2) I was asked to make sure we were on track timing wise. The clock was behind her so it wasn't too hard but just something to note. I didn't get a "five minutes left" bell or anything like that

3) A kid I spoke to during the day told me about his interview and it seemed that he got the standard leadership/team/weakness/etc questions. I do not think this is likely but I would have been quasi screwed if I had been asked those questions. My advice is just to review those type of questions on the off chance that you get them.

4) Dr's point about creating the list of things you want to touch on is key. You will most likely miss something if you don't

5) I found that coming up with a few central themes really helped tie in the "why" in a lot of my decisions.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
ACNguy wrote:
All we have to go on is Sara Nehar's word that invites will be sent out until January 28th and thus I would tell you not to give up now or even after the holidays as its counter too all information thats been officially released. No point in getting down unless you actually get word of something. Good luck Crashing.

word, i trust her
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
Got an invitation at around 11 am EST today. International applicant - Chile.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
Hi All,
I hold Indian citizenship but currently in US. I had received my call on dec 3rd and interviewed on Darden grounds yesterday. I met few applicants who were also international students. . Calls will slow down during the holiday season. So you can expect calls even in the mid of January
Intern
Intern
 Q47  V36
Send PM
Somrc

Hope your interview went well. Do you mind sharing your profile with us?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 64 [0]
Concentration: General Management, Finance
Schools:Darden Class of 2012
 Q49  V40
Send PM
Thanks for the debriefs dr2005 and duckpond.

I remember reading in the thread of last year, that when visiting on campus you will attend classes, you will be "cold called". I believe they were asked to share an embarrassing moment with the class.

Did you guys experience something similar this year?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Concentration: Strategy
Schools:Kellogg, Fuqua, Haas, Darden
Send PM
During my class visit the Prof put me on the spot with "2 truths and a lie". If you arent familiar with the game you come up with 3 interesting "facts" about yourself, 2 are real and 1 is made up. The class then had to vote which one was fake. Overall very laid back and certainly nothing to stress about.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Healthcare
Schools:R1: Kellogg WL, Haas WL, Fuqua, Darden R2: Wharton
 Q48  V44
GPA: 3.09
WE 1: Biotech Strategy
WE 2: Health Economics
Send PM
Augustus wrote:
Thanks for the debriefs dr2005 and duckpond.

I remember reading in the thread of last year, that when visiting on campus you will attend classes, you will be "cold called". I believe they were asked to share an embarrassing moment with the class.

Did you guys experience something similar this year?

Class was/is out of session so I didn't attend a class. I didn't hear anyone mention prospectives being cold called. The professor I had lunch with was a complete ball buster. Could see him doing something like that.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Whew! I just received an international invite to interview with Darden. :-D
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 765 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
Schools: Duke (Fuqua) - Class of 2012
Send PM
hserfoj wrote:
Whew! I just received an international invite to interview with Darden. :-D

congrats, I guess Darden is finally rolling out the international invites this week.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 64 [0]
Concentration: General Management, Finance
Schools:Darden Class of 2012
 Q49  V40
Send PM
Thanks Duckpond and Dr2005! It's appreciated
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Send PM
just saw the post with the invite for the chilean candidate.

i hear many schools are moving hard to recruit from frontier countries such as chile, ghana etc. that's pretty awesome frankly. kudos darden !
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Send PM
for those domestice applications that have not received interviews, are you all starting to get worried?
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  7   8   9   10   11   12   13  ...  64