Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 21:50 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 21:50

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 515 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos:
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, International Business
WE:Supply Chain Management (Energy and Utilities)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 742 [0]
Send PM
CEO
CEO
Send PM
[#permalink]
The middle of the GMAT distribution is near 650. Washington University takes the highest GMAT score.

Olin requires a TOEFL of 243 (Computer).

Students with a three year degree are required to have at least one additional year of education but are not required to receive a master's degree prior to admission to Olin.

Olin also has a relatively high acceptance rate compared to some other Near Elite schools such as Maryland, Purdue, and Rochester. However, the yield is similar to that of other Near Elite schools.

Hjort
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
Hjort wrote:
The middle of the GMAT distribution is near 650. Washington University takes the highest GMAT score.

Olin requires a TOEFL of 243 (Computer).

Students with a three year degree are required to have at least one additional year of education but are not required to receive a master's degree prior to admission to Olin.

Olin also has a relatively high acceptance rate compared to some other Near Elite schools such as Maryland, Purdue, and Rochester. However, the yield is similar to that of other Near Elite schools.

Hjort

Thanks Hjort. That was pretty helpful. Well Im yet to take my GMAT on 10th of Dec. Well I have a three year bachelors. Maybe I could go for some foundation course or something? I have tried to correspond with them. But havent got any reply till now.
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos:
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, International Business
WE:Supply Chain Management (Energy and Utilities)
[#permalink]
You need atleast 2-3 years of quality work experience too. Do you have it?
CEO
CEO
Send PM
[#permalink]
Guest has a point, but I suppose "need" is a relative term when it comes to admissions. Clearly Washington University has some familiarity with students with little work experience since it has traditionally accepted about five students per year through its 3+2 submatriculation program.

Hjort
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
Hjort wrote:
Guest has a point, but I suppose "need" is a relative term when it comes to admissions. Clearly Washington University has some familiarity with students with little work experience since it has traditionally accepted about five students per year through its 3+2 submatriculation program.

Hjort

Hi Hjort,

I must say thats pretty encouraging. I think I will apply then. There is no harm in simply applying. If they reject me, thats fine. :-D :wink:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 146 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Yes, getting in a top 30 school without a work expereince is possible but then you have to have an exemplary profile. For instance, apart from very good gpa and GMAT, you should have done some value adding part time work during your studies and decent community/extra curricular work. Part time work should be something which was a learning and growing experience. Contributing significantly in your family business is one example. It should not be trivial part time jobs which every kid does during his/her studies. The point is that B schools want that even if you are 22-23,your mental maturity is not less than those who have worked 3-4 years in the industry.
I know somebody who got into georgetown ( a top 30 school like olin), straight after her undergrad from califronian berkley. But then she had 780 GMAT and worked quite a bit during her undergrad.
To have an idea on kind of indian profiles who got into olin in recent years, my one friend's friend got into olin in 2003 with 670 GMAT and 4 years of work exp in hughes software..he was from IIT kanpur. Also, he got 50% scholarship.
Applying to a school requires lot of effort and resources in terms of putting together the application, the application fees and time. So, it's better to apply after honestly evaluating your profile.
Good luck
CEO
CEO
Send PM
[#permalink]
Crackgmat also makes some good points. To make the implicit explicit, I urge all readers to make a careful CBA before applying to any school. However, there are alternative interpretations of Crackgmat's examples. For instance, information regarding a student with a 680 and 4 years of nominal experience being accepted is interesting but it is unclear how this impacts a student with little work experience (now if the applicant had been rejected and had been informed that the but-for cause of the rejection was having less than 5 years of experience then we would have something to think about).

I strongly agree that an applicant with little work experience must have extraordinary compensating credentials.

Washington Univ:
"There is no minimum amount of work experience required; however, the middle 80% have between 3-8 years. At Olin we look at the entire package presented by the applicant--test results and work experience are both a part of the package. Every year we admit a handful of students who have little or no work experience, but who excel in all other areas of their application."
CEO
CEO
Send PM
[#permalink]
Another interesting aspect of Washington University is that it is located in a relatively inexpensive city. St. Louis has an estimated cost of living that is just below the national average and is thus far less expensive than many other major American cities such as Boston and New York.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Hi guys,

Kudos to Hjort for starting this b-school review forum it is very helpful. I am currently researching tier 1 and 2 schools and I saw that you mentioned Wash U . My main concern is that I am only 23 and by next fall when i am planning on applying i would have only 1 yr post-undgrad experience, but overall i have about 2-3 during my soph -senior yrs. I want to get into a top 20 school but i am afraid they will say i am too young and inexperienced. i am targeting UVA, UCh - GSB, UNC, Carnegie... thinking about OLin, OhioState, Emory, BostonUni. Do you guys have any schools in mind where I will have a chance. I haven't take the GMAT yet wll do in April. Any advice would be appreciated. thanx
CEO
CEO
Send PM
[#permalink]
CEO
CEO
Send PM
[#permalink]