Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 11:43 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 11:43

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
 Q48  V44
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Schools:Haas R2
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 144 [1]
Given Kudos: 10
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
Schools: Hong Kong University of Science and Technology (HKUST) - Class of 2010
Send PM
Re: Asian MBA's [#permalink]
Kudos
Nah, Think it sounds about right when looking at it from a pure statistical point of view.

However the sample sizes of the schools are not relative so number of nationalities isn't really an accurate comparison particularly when INSEAD is actually a dual campus school, so the Euro site attracts a lot of Europeans, who may never set foot in the Singapore campus.

INSEAD is an established top tier school, HKUST is a developing young school, so even from a 'image' perspective they are completley different as they are in different developmental phases still.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 217 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
togafoot wrote:
Nah, Think it sounds about right when looking at it from a pure statistical point of view.

However the sample sizes of the schools are not relative so number of nationalities isn't really an accurate comparison particularly when INSEAD is actually a dual campus school, so the Euro site attracts a lot of Europeans, who may never set foot in the Singapore campus.

INSEAD is an established top tier school, HKUST is a developing young school, so even from a 'image' perspective they are completley different as they are in different developmental phases still.

Hi Togafoot,

I wrote that post. Just wanted to point to your statement - "However the sample sizes of the schools are not relative so number of nationalities isn't really an accurate comparison particularly when INSEAD is actually a dual campus school, so the Euro site attracts a lot of Europeans, who may never set foot in the Singapore campus." That is completely not true at all - it's simply what many think, or hear from somewhere. It's just not like that - the 2 campuses are very similar in terms of nationality composition, and keep in mind they are not really 2 separate "institutions" as such. Nearly 70% of us switch, professors move around, curriculum etc is all same. The structure gives you a chance to experience both places. In fact, most of us will tell you that you really haven't experienced INSEAD if you haven't done both campuses. Typically most people try both campuses, and a larger % will eventually do the last term in Fonty (bigger campus) and do the graduation - it's simply more fun with all your classmates in one place. I think INSEAD can do a better job of this perception that people have - I wrote that as a FAQ long ago - appreciate if you take a look. https://onwardtomba.blogspot.com/2007/12 ... myths.html

(PS - forgive a bit of the harsh language in that post, it isn't directed :) )

From your posts, you seem to have gotten into the next school of your choice (sorry about Kellogg), and I hope you have a great time. Business school is a lot of fun (and stress ;) ) and I was in HK for a casual trip, it's an amazingly energetic place. Good luck!
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 144 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
Schools: Hong Kong University of Science and Technology (HKUST) - Class of 2010
Send PM
cheers,

I was actually considering INSEAD, language requirements were not an issue for me, however the 10 month length of course was the key factor in me not applying. I have to be able to have some sort of balance with family life because of my kids.

Anyway, the much larger class size at INSEAD (and its reputation) should ensure INSEAD gains more nationalities. HKUST does very well for international representation considering its class size. This years class so far of around 70 students represent 20 countries. As stated, INSEAD is in a different league to HKUST, i don`t think anyone can question that. I`m just glad to get into a school which appears to be heading somewhere and building momentum in a region i intend to stay in post-mba.

This years students internships include :-
3M
ABN Amro
AXA
Blackrock
Citibank
Deutsche Bank
HSBC
ING
Lehman Brothers
Methanex
Merrill Lynch
Softbank
TPG

(that was the data given to me).

Lastly, quantative measures used to compare most things are too mechanical in my opinion. Qualitative measures are just as important, but a re much more difficult to measure. In others words, What the result is only 50% of the story. How it was achieved and under what circumstances is the other 50% Unfortunately when doing a statistical comparison, all you get is half the answer. Unfortunately most people do not attend 2 schools to be able to effectively compare the qualitative capabilities of a school.
For what it`s worth, these measures influenced my decision to attend HKUST, in Vault.com, there were several reviews from students who did an exchange to HKUST from top US B-schools and all of them were saying the courses they attended were just as good as the ones from their school.

As an example, a Manager who achieves and exceeds the results that are needed but at the same time, destroys motivation, burns out his staff due to his negative approaches can`t really be seen as trully succesful because the long term issue of keeping highly skilled employers is being undermined and effectively reduces the competitveness of the company down the line. Leadership retention and development is a key strategic area for companies.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
 Q48  V44
Send PM
the most important factor that kept me from applying to Insead is the extremely high (in my mind) application fees and the exorbitant tuition (again in my mind). I guess this coming in the middle of this serious discussion is a little funny. I meant it to be that way though!!!!! Seriously, for me with my career goals post MBA, it just didn't make sense for me to spend so much money on a 10 month MBA. :wink:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 217 [0]
Send PM
700willdo wrote:
the most important factor that kept me from applying to Insead is the extremely high (in my mind) application fees and the exorbitant tuition (again in my mind). I guess this coming in the middle of this serious discussion is a little funny. I meant it to be that way though!!!!! Seriously, for me with my career goals post MBA, it just didn't make sense for me to spend so much money on a 10 month MBA. :wink:

700willdo - I agree with you on the fact that some applicants are dissuaded from applying to INSEAD due to the high school fee. This is one area where INSEAD could do a lot better (hopefully as we increase endowments in the next few years, there will be a lot more available as grants for needy students/scholarships etc.) and the school probably loses out some deserving and interested candidates to US schools (which usually are way, way better than European schools when it comes to endowment)
Intern
Intern
Send PM
necromonger wrote:
Nearly 70% of us switch, professors move around, curriculum etc is all same. The structure gives you a chance to experience both places. In fact, most of us will tell you that you really haven't experienced INSEAD if you haven't done both campuses. Typically most people try both campuses, and a larger % will eventually do the last term in Fonty (bigger campus) and do the graduation - it's simply more fun with all your classmates in one place.

necromonger,

Kudos. Thanks for the additional info here. Your blog post filled in a lot in my mind about how INSEAD operates, so I was really happy to read it. I have the same problem.. work and family balance will probably be out of whack if I go to INSEAD!

kr
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 217 [0]
Send PM
kruton wrote:
necromonger wrote:
Nearly 70% of us switch, professors move around, curriculum etc is all same. The structure gives you a chance to experience both places. In fact, most of us will tell you that you really haven't experienced INSEAD if you haven't done both campuses. Typically most people try both campuses, and a larger % will eventually do the last term in Fonty (bigger campus) and do the graduation - it's simply more fun with all your classmates in one place.

necromonger,

Kudos. Thanks for the additional info here. Your blog post filled in a lot in my mind about how INSEAD operates, so I was really happy to read it. I have the same problem.. work and family balance will probably be out of whack if I go to INSEAD!

kr

Kruton,

There are many "family people" at INSEAD - the way they manage is typically they socialize less than the others and are therefore able to spend time with their families. But I'm sure it's a hard balancing act - the first 3 terms especially are quite stressful, the 4th term gets stressful due to recruitment. The last term is better. But you have to go with the choice that you are most comfortable with, so good luck!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Concentration: Finance
Send PM
Why is there no mention about AIM Manila? doesnt it fall even into the regional elite category??...i have heard its a excellent school in Asia...kindly provide some comments...
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 765 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Duke (Fuqua) - Class of 2012
Send PM
I've always wondered is it better to get MBA from top Asian MBA granting schools or get a Chinese MBA-equivalent degree from Tsinghua or Beijing University?

Does anyone have any opinions and/or pros and cons regarding this?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 95 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Schools:Oxford
 Q44  V49
Send PM
asimov wrote:
I've always wondered is it better to get MBA from top Asian MBA granting schools or get a Chinese MBA-equivalent degree from Tsinghua or Beijing University?

Does anyone have any opinions and/or pros and cons regarding this?

if you want a job in asia, then definitely do INSEAD in singapore as a first choice. then probably programs like CEIBS and HKUST. however if you want to work in china strictly, then tsinghua and beijing university both open a lot of doors...probably a bit more so tsinghua than beijing university, but fairly similar.

i was accepted into the tsinghua/MIT joint international MBA program last yr (for fall 2009), but i didn't go cuz i talked to some friends of the family in china, who all say that if i want to do business there, i should aim for a big name north american or european school and then go to china. if you read my post in the INSEAD thread, this is also a major reason why i'm leaning towards oxford over INSEAD at the moment...simply because the brand name is worth so much in asia...
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Schools:Chicago Booth (Re-app), LBS, UCLA Anderson, Oxford Said, INSEAD (withdrawn)
 Q48  V41
GPA: 3.6 - Top public
WE 1: Investment Management
Send PM
DrSatisfaction wrote:
if you read my post in the INSEAD thread, this is also a major reason why i'm leaning towards oxford over INSEAD at the moment...simply because the brand name is worth so much in asia...

You sure Oxford has a bigger brand name than INSEAD in Asia with recruiters? I'm no expert on how Asian recruiting work, but this sounds synonymous to saying that Yale SOM has bigger brand name than Chicago, which is definitely not true in North America and Europe.
VP
VP
Send PM
I think Oxford is definitely a more recognized brand. I know I've never heard of INSEAD before applying for b-school. And I would choose Oxford over INSEAD just to experience the atmosphere surrounding the top British educational institute.

I don't know if Oxford has more pull for companies targeting MBA students. I can see how Oxford will have more pull for companies not familiar with MBA rankings. Kind of like people might think any ol' Aston Martin is faster than a Corvette ZR1.
VP
VP
Send PM
I got a GMASS e-mail from Tsinghua. It made me a bit curious.

I wrote a response to Student Ambassador link in the e-mail. The e-mail got bounced back. Checked their international website, it listed a variation of the e-mail address. This time it when through. I got a response from a student ambassador full of flagrant misspellings and grammatically errors. The response dodge many of the questions I asked, which were about employability of Tsinghua MBA graduates.

I've always held Tsinghua University with the highest regard. Frankly, I'm a bit disappointed at the quality from my interaction.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 95 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Schools:Oxford
 Q44  V49
Send PM
asimov wrote:
I got a GMASS e-mail from Tsinghua. It made me a bit curious.

I wrote a response to Student Ambassador link in the e-mail. The e-mail got bounced back. Checked their international website, it listed a variation of the e-mail address. This time it when through. I got a response from a student ambassador full of flagrant misspellings and grammatically errors. The response dodge many of the questions I asked, which were about employability of Tsinghua MBA graduates.

I've always held Tsinghua University with the highest regard. Frankly, I'm a bit disappointed at the quality from my interaction.

that's kinda odd, as i applied and got in last yr to their IMBA program, and the student they put me in touch had pretty good english skills (he was korean).
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
Thats surprising indeed. I applied for their IMBA program this year (btw i've been waitlisted). Their email response was pretty quick and i was put in touch with a student ambassador who provided excellent support and answered all my questions. FYI, he is an American.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 36 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Send PM
Hey hey!!

Well, I'm curious to know who's applied to an Asian MBA program, and where they're attending? Personally, I'll be attending Tsinghua SEM's IMBA program and would love to know anybody else who's decided to go there.
VP
VP
Send PM
adcxaway wrote:
Hey hey!!

Well, I'm curious to know who's applied to an Asian MBA program, and where they're attending? Personally, I'll be attending Tsinghua SEM's IMBA program and would love to know anybody else who's decided to go there.

Hi abcxaway, you can start a thread for Tsinghua students. It'll be more visible that way. Also, it can help bring attention to Tsinghua for recruiting purposes, next year.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4