Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 06:56 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 06:56

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Schools:HEC-Paris, Tepper-CMU, Berkley-Haas
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: General Management, International Business, Strategy
Schools:HEC Paris
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 50 [0]
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools:HEC,Paris
 Q49  V25 GMAT 2: 690  Q48  V37
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Send PM
Re: HEC Paris - Sep 2010 intake [#permalink]
Hi everyone,

Are you applying to HEC MBA?

Well I'm applying for Ms of Management which is different. I'm a little worried because this is the school's top program and the average last year of the admit's gmat was 740.

Right now I'm working on it. 5 days ago I scored 620 in the Platinium.. still have a week to work to achieve at least 700...

congrats to the admit (MBA / Ms Management) !!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Strategy
Schools:HEC,Paris(Student)
 Q45  V36
Send PM
Hi,
I am applying to HEC for the Sep 2010 intake before 2nd feb. any idea how many people already admitted?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
jsonali wrote:
Hi,
I am applying to HEC for the Sep 2010 intake before 2nd feb. any idea how many people already admitted?

Jsonali,

Our accepted LinkedIn group is about 35. I would extrapolate maybe up to 15 more individuals who have been accepted but didn't join the group. Anyway, I hope this gives you a rough estimate of the numbers already admitted.

Best of luck!
Intern
Intern
 Q45  V36
Send PM
Thanks a lot EggWhitesOnly.
Would you be able to tell me how many of them are Indian from IT background?
EggWhitesOnly wrote:
jsonali wrote:
Hi,

Jsonali,

Our accepted LinkedIn group is about 35. I would extrapolate maybe up to 15 more individuals who have been accepted but didn't join the group. Anyway, I hope this gives you a rough estimate of the numbers already admitted.

Best of luck!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Jsonali,

I don't think I can provide with you with exact numbers per "category" of student. The reason being, I simply don't know everyone's citizenship, background, or actual job responsibility. Therefore, just because someone appears to be of Indian ethnicity, I can't automatically qualify him or her as Indian IT. Perhaps they are actually American/Canadian/British. Maybe they work for an IT company in a completely non-IT-related capacity.

I would also urge you not to use that categorical bucket to limit your own chances of acceptance. Rather than think you are competing against a limited "quota," try to find ways to distinguish yourself as an exemplary candidate. Maybe your experiences are commonplace. Write about them in a way that isn't.

I didn't get into LBS because the quota of "my type" (scientist/biotech/female) was filled. It was simply that my essays weren't well-written and I did not choose my recommenders carefully. I put 200% more effort into the preparation of my HEC application.
Intern
Intern
 Q45  V36
Send PM
Thanks for your thoughtfulness EggWhitesOnly. I was not really trying to limit my chances of acceptance and i am putting in a lot of effort into my applications. But i know you meant well. I understand that you don't have the information and its my bad for asking such a question in haste! I know categories dont matter more than the essays else i wouldnt even be thinking of applying with a GMAT of 660 and a status of being unemployed.

EggWhitesOnly wrote:
Jsonali,

I don't think I can provide with you with exact numbers per "category" of student. The reason being, I simply don't know everyone's citizenship, background, or actual job responsibility. Therefore, just because someone appears to be of Indian ethnicity, I can't automatically qualify him or her as Indian IT. Perhaps they are actually American/Canadian/British. Maybe they work for an IT company in a completely non-IT-related capacity.

I would also urge you not to use that categorical bucket to limit your own chances of acceptance. Rather than think you are competing against a limited "quota," try to find ways to distinguish yourself as an exemplary candidate. Maybe your experiences are commonplace. Write about them in a way that isn't.

I didn't get into LBS because the quota of "my type" (scientist/biotech/female) was filled. It was simply that my essays weren't well-written and I did not choose my recommenders carefully. I put 200% more effort into the preparation of my HEC application.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: IB
Schools:INSEAD 2010, HEC 2010
 Q49  V38
Send PM
Gals and guys,

I applied for the Sept 2010 intake.
Did any of you applied for Jan 5th deadline and already received an answer from the Admission committee?
Thanks
mp
Intern
Intern
Send PM
I did - preselected for itw
Applied Jan 4th and already got an email today ! :shock:
Intern
Intern
Concentration: IB
Schools:INSEAD 2010, HEC 2010
 Q49  V38
Send PM
Congratulation 42!
Anyone else got the pre-selection?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Just a note to all prospective applicants:

HEC has recently raised its tuition from 42,104 Euros to 45,106 Euros. This was not stated clearly to those who received admissions in 2009, and current applicants should budget accordingly.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Schools:LBS, Oxford, Cambridge, HEC
Send PM
EggWhitesOnly wrote:
Just a note to all prospective applicants:

HEC has recently raised its tuition from 42,104 Euros to 45,106 Euros. This was not stated clearly to those who received admissions in 2009, and current applicants should budget accordingly.

Thanks for posting, EWO. I saw the same thing and have to admit that it's a bit 'cheeky' on the school's part. In the information packet sent by HEC upon admission, tuition is clear -- €42,100. Plus, the increase, which at ~€3,000 is about a 7% jump, is incongruous with the current 0.4% inflation rate in France.
Intern
Intern
 Q45  V36
Send PM
I had a small question - anyone who has been selected for interview can answer. I am finding the word limits really tight. Can anyone shed more light on how strict we should be about word limits? I guessed the rule of 10% applies in most cases but HEC limits at 250 are difficult and wanted to know if i am in trouble exceeding them by more than 10%.

As always, thanks for the help.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
I did not exceed the limit for my HEC essays...

not sure if that influenced anything though
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
Hey guys, I have also been admitted!!!!! Yeaahhhhhhhhhh!
See u soon!
Manager
Manager
Send PM
baky wrote:
Hey guys, I have also been admitted!!!!! Yeaahhhhhhhhhh!
See u soon!

Congrats baky, that's terrific! I remember you were working hard on your application last month.

Join the LinkedIn group! See you in Jouy-en-Josas!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Schools:LBS, Oxford, Cambridge, HEC
Send PM
Kudos
jsonali wrote:
I had a small question - anyone who has been selected for interview can answer. I am finding the word limits really tight. Can anyone shed more light on how strict we should be about word limits? I guessed the rule of 10% applies in most cases but HEC limits at 250 are difficult and wanted to know if i am in trouble exceeding them by more than 10%.

Jsonali, I can say that I did not go over the limits. And if you do, I think the rule of thumb would be more like 5% and not 10%. The logic behind not going over -- which you hear from admissions books, consultants and forums -- is that the word limit is a challenge to be met. If you do go over the limit, particularly if you go significantly over, you've effectively failed to meet that challenge. In the end, I think that the word limit represents a rule, not a suggestion.

What helped me on a 250-word essay was to get out everything I wanted to say, even if that took 400 words. Then, I looked for a core message and began taking out all words and thoughts that didn't add (significant) value to this message. I had to go over the essay several times to do this, but in the end it always worked. In a bind, keep in mind that contractions count as one word, so 'I'm' is one word, while 'I am' would obviously be two. It seems like a trivial thing, but if you're at 253 words, change a few instances of 'I am', 'I would' and others to a contraction and you've met HEC's (or any other program's) word limit challenge!
Intern
Intern
 Q45  V36
Send PM
Thanks a lot nyinbxl! Yeah, I am trying to go over my essays and cut the fat! :) thanks a ton for your thoughtful reply. the achievement essay is more like 290 words right now so lot of work.

nyinbxl wrote:
jsonali wrote:

Jsonali, I can say that I did not go over the limits. And if you do, I think the rule of thumb would be more like 5% and not 10%. The logic behind not going over -- which you hear from admissions books, consultants and forums -- is that the word limit is a challenge to be met. If you do go over the limit, particularly if you go significantly over, you've effectively failed to meet that challenge. In the end, I think that the word limit represents a rule, not a suggestion.

What helped me on a 250-word essay was to get out everything I wanted to say, even if that took 400 words. Then, I looked for a core message and began taking out all words and thoughts that didn't add (significant) value to this message. I had to go over the essay several times to do this, but in the end it always worked. In a bind, keep in mind that contractions count as one word, so 'I'm' is one word, while 'I am' would obviously be two. It seems like a trivial thing, but if you're at 253 words, change a few instances of 'I am', 'I would' and others to a contraction and you've met HEC's (or any other program's) word limit challenge!
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  20   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts