Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 06:54 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 06:54

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 233 [1]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Social Enterprise
Schools:The Duke MBA, Class of 2009
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Non-profit, GM
Schools:Ross, Darden, Yale SOM, Wharton, Kellogg (JD/MBA)
 Q44  V44
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 156 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Schools:Tuck
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 233 [0]
Concentration: Social Enterprise
Schools:The Duke MBA, Class of 2009
Send PM
Re: Dress Guidelines [#permalink]
yeah, it took me a while to come up with the mot juste when I was writing that.

refurb wrote:
Quote:
Women:
The neckline of your shirt should be high enough to keep your interviewer focused on your face.

That made me laugh... :)

Make sure the neckline is high enough so that your interviewer's face looks like this :lol: , not like :shock: or :? or :P or :oops: or :wink: .

Right?

RF
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 193 [0]
Concentration: Consulting, Marketing
Schools:Tuck, Ross (R1), Duke, Tepper, ISB (R2), Kenan Flagler (R2)
 Q49  V38
Send PM
refurb wrote:
Quote:
Women:
The neckline of your shirt should be high enough to keep your interviewer focused on your face.

That made me laugh... :)

Make sure the neckline is high enough so that your interviewer's face looks like this :lol: , not like :shock: or :? or :P or :oops: or :wink: .

Right?

RF

That made me laugh too :-D
I would add a few more interviewers face:
:yes :cool :yikes :band :drunk :bouncer :kiss :hair :rotate
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 393 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
bump!

I read somewhere that navy pinstripe or dark gray suits are the most recommended for men. Also, black is a big no-no...

:?: for gurus:

Why is black no good? :?
Any other colors that works for the interviews? :)
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
black is absolutely fine for a suit.

unless u are talking about a black shirt.......in which case that is a big no no no no.

I personally went for a navy blue suit, light blue shirt, maroon tie.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 39 [2]
Given Kudos: 16
Schools:F2010 - HBS (R1 - denied w/o interview ), INSEAD (R1 - admitted), Wharton (R1 - waitlisted & ding), Ivey (R2 - admitted w/ 60% tuition)
 Q47  V40 GMAT 2: 710  Q45  V42
GPA: 3.8
WE 1: 3.5yrs as a Strategy Consultant - Big 4
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Noodles wrote:
black is absolutely fine for a suit.

unless u are talking about a black shirt.......in which case that is a big no no no no.

I personally went for a navy blue suit, light blue shirt, maroon tie.

In general men should not wear black suits except for black tie affairs. For interviews - I would avoid cuff links and even pocket squares which constitute my daily routine.

Plain navy or charcoal suits are the most flexible in terms of choices for men.

The focus of the interview should be your competence not your flair for dressing or lack there of.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
Does anyone have advice on the quality of suit to buy? Personally, I can't tell the difference between a $2000 Armani suit and a "but 1, get 2 free" suit from Jos-A-Bank, but if it makes a difference in recruiting I'd be willing to splurge.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
 Q45  V41
Send PM
I wore a conservative black suit for my interviews :? , I've always felt black is very appropriate for interviews.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
ksjhawk wrote:
I wore a conservative black suit for my interviews :? , I've always felt black is very appropriate for interviews.

black is appropriate for interviews, dont worry.

in fact most things are appropriate unless u dress like a clown.

The focus should be on your delivery, your message and your competencies for your interview as sm332 said.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Concentration: International business, pharmaceutical, bio-tech
Schools:Cambridge/Judge '11
Send PM
In my opinion, black is for tax attorneys and funeral guests. :lol: Do wear at least a dark shade of gray.

I also don't think the price-tag of the suit matters. What matters is how it fits you. Shoulder seams on right places, arm length short enough to let the shirt glimpse but long enough not to look silly. No tight creases around the waist, a tight fit against the back of your neck. Pants have to be long enough to look good when you sit but short enough not to trail on the floor when you walk.

Better quality suits often also come with nice little details: trim seams, pretty lapel seams, stylish buttons etc. And pleas remember to remove the thread holding the jacket back hem slit together!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Schools:UCLA, Ross, Berkeley
 Q49  V42
WE 1: Information Technology
Send PM
ksjhawk wrote:

Black suits are normally reserved for non-professional scenarios but there's nothing wrong in a black suit. I would just say ensure you dress accordingly. If the interview is taking place in a casual environment like a cafe, don't land up in a black suit.

Also I find toning down the black suit with a somber (gray) tie helps bring down the "flash" quotient.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 72 [1]
Given Kudos: 12
Schools:Booth 2012
Send PM
Kudos
In terms of quality: as was mentioned, most important, by far, is fit. There's nothing more obvious and painful to look at than a really poor fitting suit. Keep in mind though that the tailor at saks is probably a lot better than the one at men's warehouse.

I would also caution against dressing too nicely. going too over the top is as bad as going too cheap. i don't think you want your interviewer to be too actively aware of what you're wearing.

I don't think black looks good professionally. It's not going to be a deal breaker of course, but if you're shopping for a suit now, just do yourself a favor and go charcoal. It's by far the most versatile and will work in any situation: Work, party, interview, funeral, with jeans, wedding, etc.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 393 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
For men, What's the deal with stripes? Do you want pinstripes, no-stripes, solid color? :?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 72 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Schools:Booth 2012
Send PM
Jivana wrote:
For men, What's the deal with stripes? Do you want pinstripes, no-stripes, solid color? :?

i think you need to be really careful on the pinstripes... could fall under the category of trying too hard.. if it's subtle, fine.. but i'd stay away from high-contrast pinstripes.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 39 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Schools:F2010 - HBS (R1 - denied w/o interview ), INSEAD (R1 - admitted), Wharton (R1 - waitlisted & ding), Ivey (R2 - admitted w/ 60% tuition)
 Q47  V40 GMAT 2: 710  Q45  V42
GPA: 3.8
WE 1: 3.5yrs as a Strategy Consultant - Big 4
Send PM
egy wrote:
In terms of quality: as was mentioned, most important, by far, is fit. There's nothing more obvious and painful to look at than a really poor fitting suit. Keep in mind though that the tailor at saks is probably a lot better than the one at men's warehouse.

I would also caution against dressing too nicely. going too over the top is as bad as going too cheap. i don't think you want your interviewer to be too actively aware of what you're wearing.

I don't think black looks good professionally. It's not going to be a deal breaker of course, but if you're shopping for a suit now, just do yourself a favor and go charcoal. It's by far the most versatile and will work in any situation: Work, party, interview, funeral, with jeans, wedding, etc.

well put ...
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Concentration: International business, pharmaceutical, bio-tech
Schools:Cambridge/Judge '11
Send PM
Jivana wrote:

I agree, subtle pinstripes work better than bold ones. Pinstripes give an image of edge and confidence, and when worn right a pinstripe suit looks very dashing indeed. :) However, if you can't pull it off comfortably, don't wear it. And don't overdo the tie so you roll on the flashy side.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 40 [0]
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club MBAbot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot