Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 10:34 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 10:34

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 302 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72855 [0]
Given Kudos: 18857
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 302 [0]
Send PM
Director
Director
Affiliations: Columbia, Wharton, LBS
Own Kudos [?]: 134 [0]
Concentration: Finance, Accounting, Marketing, Entrepreneurship
Schools:Harvard, Stanford, LBS, Columbia, Wharton, HEC Paris
Send PM
Re: Reading to improve verbal score [#permalink]
We assist a lot of non-native speakers around the world. Our Manhattan Review Turbocharge Your GMAT verbal book has a section for GMAT vocabulary. Our math book has a glossary of all math terms. Many of our non-US students have found them very useful. If you visit our Web site at https://www.ManhattanReview.com, you can download GMAT Sentence Correction Guide for free.

Sentence Correction - You don't need to learn a lot of vocabulary there. Just make sure you get the sentence structure elements right and know all the rules and error types. This is the area you can improve fastest without memorizing new words.

However, Critical Reasoning and Reading Comprehension are the two areas that require inherent skill sets and knowledge. There are limited shortcuts. You need to find the best way you can read fast and comprehend accurately. Locate a LSAT book and do the Critical Reasoning problems from there. They are harder than the GMAT. It will be a good practice. You need to read editorial columns of a top English newspaper on a daily basis to improve your Reading Comprehension.

Private tutoring will be helpful. We have seen our students improved over 1 month's period. Manhattan Review does have tutoring services that can be tailored to your individual needs and that are relatively inexpensive. It can be in-person or online. If you're interested, give us a call at the number in our sig below or just private message us.

If you're not looking for tutoring, our self-study package or our online library is also a good, inexpensive option for extra prep.

Hope this helps!

Manhattan Review US
US: +1-212-997-1660
UK: +44-20 3318 3131
Study with Friends - US$200 Shared Rewards!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1485 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
 Q50  V40
Send PM
nesta wrote:
Hi everybody,

As a non native english speaker, I think that it could be useful to read some english books. Consequently, I went to the library and chose books such as "Of mice and Men", "The old man and the sea", "The great Gastby" ect...

However, I do not know the strategy to use during my reading.

1) Try to understand all the words and spend lot of time on my dictionnary.
Advantage : I increase my vocabulary.
Drawback : I spend lot of time looking for the word in the dictionnary and so the reading becomes boring and long.

2) Try to guess the most difficult part
Advantage : The reading becomes more pleasant. Moreover, in the GMAT, I won't have a dictionnary so this method trains me for the G-day.
Drawback : I miss some words and I am not sure my guesses are correct.

Honestly, I do not know which is the best method. I really want to use the reading to improve my verbal score. I think it is a good way but I need to do it in a smart way.

Thank for your help.

I'm gonna recommend something different.

I suggest that you read articles about economics or science from your favorite magazines. Do so as if it were a GMAT passage, so follow whatever technique you use to read actively. My advice here would be that you read looking for the structure of the article, don't waste time trying to understand everything in the passage. You just need to get the general picture. Once you have read the article, extract the main idea and the purpose. Remember that, in principle, you read the passage to answer general questions.

Increasing your vocabulary will definitely help you so don't stop doing so. Write down the words you don't understand and phrases in which they are used to provide context. You might want to create flashcards and review them as frequently as possible.
Manhattan GMAT Student Services Associate
Own Kudos [?]: 25 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: International Relations
Send PM
Hi!

While I don't have as much experience in terms of non-native speakers working on reading comprehension, I would agree with mikeCoolBoy on this one. What we suggest for our students who want more practice than what they can get in the OG guides is to read scientific magazines. In the forum thread here: https://www.manhattangmat.com/forums/how ... t9175.html , Stacey Koprince, one of our instructors lists several good places to find articles that are similar in tone to the ones you'll find on the GMAT. These include:

https://magazine.uchicago.edu/ - particularly articles in the "Investigations" tab
https://harvardmagazine.com/
https://sciam.com/ (This can get a bit too casual for the GMAT, but it's probably worth including because so many people get freaked out by science passages on the GMAT.)

To this list, I have also heard our instructors add the Economist, though a subscription to that can be pricey.

While I think that for a non-native speaker, building vocabulary is important, I would also urge you not to focus on that too much. A lot of RC passages intentionally put in big words that you don't really need to know in order to answer the questions they ask. It is more important to be able to grasp the meaning, and to know how to dissect each passage so you can refer back to the correct part of the passage quickly when answering questions.

If you haven't already, you might also think about getting a book. I know another test prep company posted some options, and I'd like to add that we also carry a Reading Comprehension book (you can read the description here: https://www.manhattangmat.com/storeitems ... 25&catid=6 )

I hope you find this information helpful!

Best Wishes,
Caitlin Clay
Student Services Associate
Manhattan GMAT
GMAT Club Bot