Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 19:03 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 19:03

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72871 [27]
Given Kudos: 18857
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 670 [2]
Given Kudos: 12
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.9
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72871 [3]
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 110 [6]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: General Management , Strategy
 Q49  V41
Send PM
Re: GMAT Prep course reviews, discount, codes [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Heres my review on Knewton

The Positives :

1) Very helpful set of people. They reply back to all your queries with a lot of detail and you can expect most responses back within 24 hours. I have got responses on Sunday as well, at times.

2) Online learning works . Their site is adaptive, and it generally throws questions to you which it feels you are weaker on.

3) 50 pt guarantee should work for most. I improved my score by 60 points from 660 to 720. Also I had a balanced score as Knewton focuses equally on Quant and Verbal . I have read that a lopsided high score is inferior to a balanced score with the same total.

4) Although many people feel that Knewtons questions are a rip off of the Official material, this strategy works. They drill the Test Prep Makers strategies into your head, and you are far better off doing questions that are similiar to those that you will see on the exam. The SC in verbal were a breeze, as I could spot most errors with ease.

6) Their Quant Strategy and Verbal strategy sections are excellent. They do significantly improve your skills at choosing the correct answer, or atleast chosing between 2 answers , when you are in doubt.

7) Despite many complaining that Knewton Diagnostic isnt a valid interpretation of your actual ability , the truth is that my final scores are more in line with their tests than the Official Gmatprep. This is also because many GMATPrep problems are already tackled by most of us on this forum or in the Vebal and Quant guides, while practicing.

Again for the money back guarantee , they chose the highest of your two previous scores. Either the Offical GMAT or their diagnostic.. So if you score a 660 on their test and have scored 690 on your actual test , earlier , your money back guarantee is based on your baseline of 690.
They could have very easily selected to use the lower of both scores, or just use their diagnostic for the money back guarantee. The fact that they used thehigher score means that they are confident in their material and techniques, and the overall Knewton product. I feel very comfortable in recommending Knewton to any future candidate looking for a one- two month testprep.
8) Instructors on Knewton are top notch, and the live sessions are fabulous. I attend the classes twice. Once live and once I went through the archives. It definiately helped. On many ocassions the TA spent more than 20 minutes with me after class to take me through individual concepts.

9) The guys are value for money. The course isnt expensive, given the fact that they have been offering discounts on most courses off late.

10) Videos of most individual topics , where you are weak, are an excellent way to strengthen your concepts.

11) You cant rewind a live class, but at Knewton you can see atleast two archived lessons on each class, with different instructors, and also attend a live class in addition to that.

12) Last but noth the least, Knewton promises a live Pre MBA class, which will include a live case study discussion with a Harvard Business School professor. This Pre MBA program will be offered free with their already excellent GMAT training package, making it one of the unique combinations in comparison to other GMAT training programs.

Negatives

1) The Quant sections on Knewton tests are simpler than the actual GMAT. I was able to complete all tests with 5 minutes to spare, but on my actual GMAT I was in a tight spot , trying to rush through the last few questions in Quant. I have read that their GMAT Quant questions are being revised for their CAT's to have them be as tough as those seen in the actual CAT's

Overall Review

Can confidently recommend Knewton to any candidate looking at improving his test score. They deserve a 5/5 . But Ill give them a 4.5, because they can still improve on the Quant practice tests.

Again with their killer money back guarantee , there will be no reason to regret joining Knewton . I can vouch for their program's efficacy.

Originally posted by bhatiagp on 13 Sep 2009, 23:37.
Last edited by bhatiagp on 20 Sep 2009, 03:40, edited 2 times in total.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
I read all the reviews. RIght now, I am deciding between taking a GMAT course at Kaplan, Manhattan GMAT, or Testmasters. Any recommendations? Does anyone have any information on Testmasters GMAT course?
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72871 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
healthbiotech1 wrote:
I read all the reviews. RIght now, I am deciding between taking a GMAT course at Kaplan, Manhattan GMAT, or Testmasters. Any recommendations? Does anyone have any information on Testmasters GMAT course?

Have not hear of TestMasters for a long time. They still around? Anything good?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
TestMasters is still around. But I think they mostly only have classes in Los Angeles.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: IT
 Q48  V28
Send PM
bhatiagp wrote:
Heres my review on Knewton

The Positives :

1) Very helpful set of people. They reply back to all your queries with a lot of detail and you can expect most responses back within 24 hours. I have got responses on Sunday as well, at times.

2) Online learning works . Their site is adaptive, and it generally throws questions to you which it feels you are weaker on.

3) 50 pt guarantee should work for most. I improved my score by 60 points from 660 to 720. Also I had a balanced score as Knewton focuses equally on Quant and Verbal . I have read that a lopsided high score is inferior to a balanced score with the same total.

4) Although many people feel that Knewtons questions are a rip off of the Official material, this strategy works. They drill the Test Prep Makers strategies into your head, and you are far better off doing questions that are similiar to those that you will see on the exam. The SC in verbal were a breeze, as I could spot most errors with ease.

6) Their Quant Strategy and Verbal strategy sections are excellent. They do significantly improve your skills at choosing the correct answer, or atleast chosing between 2 answers , when you are in doubt.

7) Despite many complaining that Knewton Diagnostic isnt a valid interpretation of your actual ability , the truth is that my final scores are more in line with their tests than the Official Gmatprep. This is also because many GMATPrep problems are already tackled by most of us on this forum or in the Vebal and Quant guides, while practicing.

Again for the money back guarantee , they chose the highest of your two previous scores. Either the Offical GMAT or their diagnostic.. So if you score a 660 on their test and have scored 690 on your actual test , earlier , your money back guarantee is based on your baseline of 690.
They could have very easily selected to use the lower of both scores, or just use their diagnostic for the money back guarantee. The fact that they used thehigher score means that they are confident in their material and techniques, and the overall Knewton product. I feel very comfortable in recommending Knewton to any future candidate looking for a one- two month testprep.
8) Instructors on Knewton are top notch, and the live sessions are fabulous. I attend the classes twice. Once live and once I went through the archives. It definiately helped. On many ocassions the TA spent more than 20 minutes with me after class to take me through individual concepts.

9) The guys are value for money. The course isnt expensive, given the fact that they have been offering discounts on most courses off late.

10) Videos of most individual topics , where you are weak, are an excellent way to strengthen your concepts.

11) You cant rewind a live class, but at Knewton you can see atleast two archived lessons on each class, with different instructors, and also attend a live class in addition to that.

12) Last but noth the least, Knewton promises a live Pre MBA class, which will include a live case study discussion with a Harvard Business School professor. This Pre MBA program will be offered free with their already excellent GMAT training package, making it one of the unique combinations in comparison to other GMAT training programs.

Negatives

1) The Quant sections on Knewton tests are simpler than the actual GMAT. I was able to complete all tests with 5 minutes to spare, but on my actual GMAT I was in a tight spot , trying to rush through the last few questions in Quant. I have read that their GMAT Quant questions are being revised for their CAT's to have them be as tough as those seen in the actual CAT's

Overall Review

Can confidently recommend Knewton to any candidate looking at improving his test score. They deserve a 5/5 . But Ill give them a 4.5, because they can still improve on the Quant practice tests.

Again with their killer money back guarantee , there will be no reason to regret joining Knewton . I can vouch for their program's efficacy.

Very nice review. I am planning to retake and Knewton looks like a road to me...
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 80 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
I might try Knewton. I underperformed so badly on test day that it's left me with all sorts of doubts (80 points worse than my 2 GMATPreps...)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 35 [0]
Given Kudos: 26
Send PM
osbornecox wrote:
I might try Knewton. I underperformed so badly on test day that it's left me with all sorts of doubts (80 points worse than my 2 GMATPreps...)

I am sorry to hear about that. I thought the GMATPreps is a good indicator. I haven't taken the real test yet, still practicing. What do you think is the main different when you take the real test?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 80 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Hi wilbase, I think the following things affected me:

- Most importantly, when I practiced, I didn't do the AWA (just didn't consider it important). I underestimated the impact of expending 50 minutes of intellectual energy before the CAT.
- I was slightly dehydrated from an excrutiating soccer match in the sun two days earlier (I work in the Middle East and it gets very hot here, though right now it's pleasant).
- Cracked under pressure (I think I want this much more badly than I've wanted results in previous tests, in which I've usually done well).

So things to watch out for:
- practice PROPERLY
- stay well hydrated, fed, rested etc
- keep your cool!

I'm going to bounce back.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
osbornecox wrote:

- Most importantly, when I practiced, I didn't do the AWA (just didn't consider it important). I underestimated the impact of expending 50 minutes of intellectual energy before the CAT.
- I was slightly dehydrated from an excrutiating soccer match in the sun two days earlier (I work in the Middle East and it gets very hot here, though right now it's pleasant).
- Cracked under pressure (I think I want this much more badly than I've wanted results in previous tests, in which I've usually done well).

- practice PROPERLY
- keep your cool!

Great! I will be sure to practice properly. Thanks
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
wilbase wrote:
osbornecox wrote:

- practice PROPERLY
- keep your cool!

Great! I will be sure to practice properly. Thanks

I must mention that my preparation wasn't nearly as thorough as it could've/should've been. I used two books (McGraw Hill, Verbal and Math) which were enough to get me a double 710 on the GMATPreps with three weeks of practice, but no Official Guide, no Manhattan, nothing else... Come test day, I lacked DEPTH in my abilities and knowledge of the concepts, and I froze.

I intend on being much more thorough, with greater reservoirs of preparation. I've bought one more McGraw Hill book (low sample size but the reviews are poor!) which has four CAT tests in its DVD, as well as more test strategies; the OG Verbal and Quantitative; I'm considering getting Manhattan Number Properties, Inequalities and Sentence Correction; and considering trying Knewton. I refuse to improve by less than 100 points!
Manager
Manager
Send PM
osbornecox wrote:

I must mention that my preparation wasn't nearly as thorough as it could've/should've been. I used two books (McGraw Hill, Verbal and Math) which were enough to get me a double 710 on the GMATPreps with three weeks of practice, but no Official Guide, no Manhattan, nothing else... Come test day, I lacked DEPTH in my abilities and knowledge of the concepts, and I froze.

I intend on being much more thorough, with greater reservoirs of preparation. I've bought one more McGraw Hill book (low sample size but the reviews are poor!) which has four CAT tests in its DVD, as well as more test strategies; the OG Verbal and Quantitative; I'm considering getting Manhattan Number Properties, Inequalities and Sentence Correction; and considering trying Knewton. I refuse to improve by less than 100 points!

So, do you think the GMATPreps is a good indicator for your actually score? or was it way easier than the real test?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
One would think that there's some reliability to the GMATPrep, normally, it should be in a plus or minus 20 point range, so normally I'd test anywhere between a 690 and a 730. My 630 was unusually poor. I really won't know until I try testing myself again after this second barrage of studying. A bit hard when you have a girlfriend, but we'll see...
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 220 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
After throughly analysing the reviews, I have enrolled myself in Knewton. Let us see how far it goes and I hope I can write a success story here.
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72871 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
prasadrg wrote:
After throughly analysing the reviews, I have enrolled myself in Knewton. Let us see how far it goes and I hope I can write a success story here.

Please do - will be very valuable for everyone to read your feedback.
Hope you took advantage of the holiday offer with them (ends today) https://gmatclub.com/blog/2009/12/knewto ... gmat-class
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 115 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Schools:Mellon, USC, MIT, UCLA, NSCU
Send PM
I partially took a Manhattan GMAT course. I say partially because I didn't really avail myself mentally. I think that the materials are great but that one should do preliminary prep before enrolling in any course. It gives you a better idea of what you're dealing with content wise and also helps prepare you to be a better student, one who can truly take advantage of the knowledgebase of course instructors and tutors.
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Hi Guys,

I have gone through a chunk of OG (and some of GMATCubs practice questions) and scored 690 on the OG's diagnostic tests but want to get up to 720. I took the diagnostic test twice - once before practicing and once after the score did not change whatsoever :|

From reading the reviews it does not sound like Kaplan's in-class prep would be a good fit for me. I am not sure whether Kaplan Advanced would be any good? Or if I should just go with Knewton because of the good reviews they get even though it is online.

My questions:
- What good in-class GMAT prep course would you recommend for someone who wants to increase their score by 30-50 points? Kaplan Advanced or Manhattan Review or...?
- If no such in-class course exists, would you simply recommend Knewton or even doing more practice problems through the many books/GmatClub's practice problems that are available?

You help is much appreciated. Thanks!
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72871 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
tallmild wrote:
Hi Guys,

I have gone through a chunk of OG (and some of GMATCubs practice questions) and scored 690 on the OG's diagnostic tests but want to get up to 720. I took the diagnostic test twice - once before practicing and once after the score did not change whatsoever :|

From reading the reviews it does not sound like Kaplan's in-class prep would be a good fit for me. I am not sure whether Kaplan Advanced would be any good? Or if I should just go with Knewton because of the good reviews they get even though it is online.

My questions:
- What good in-class GMAT prep course would you recommend for someone who wants to increase their score by 30-50 points? Kaplan Advanced or Manhattan Review or...?
- If no such in-class course exists, would you simply recommend Knewton or even doing more practice problems through the many books/GmatClub's practice problems that are available?

You help is much appreciated. Thanks!

One advantage you have with Knewton is the 50-point money back guarantee (if you don't get 740, you get your money back). You will also get GMAT Club tests for free if you use our promo code to sign up (GC-Knewton-GMAT).

As to others, I have not taken any, so you have to rely on the feedback from reviews to make your selection.

Finally, consider browsing through this thread: should-i-retake-gmat-thread-retaking-gmat-strategies-83339.html
Do you really need to bump your score more?
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   3   4   5