Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 22:32 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 22:32

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
 Q50  V35
WE 1: 5- hr
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Schools:Chicago Booth - R2 / Kellogg - R2
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Schools:UCLA
Send PM
Re: Calling all Female MBA Applicants [#permalink]
lesdeux wrote:
Good morning, ladies -

Have any of you been pregnant during interview season? I'm struggling with what to wear that is business appropriate. I am almost 8 months pregnant and would like to avoid spending hundreds of dollars on a maternity suit that will be worn once (and I've yet to see a good looking one); but maybe I just need to bite the bullet and roll it into the cost of applying.

Your thoughts?

Thanks!

Hmmm...I have never interviewed pregnant but I did do several job interviews right after I had my baby and I was seriously fat! I ended up buying a new suit for those with the hopes that I could get it taken in later on. I have a great tailor and he said that as long as it is only 3-4 sizes too big it is definitely something that can be taken in.

The couple of times I needed nicer maternity wear I ended up borrowing something....I would probably try some second hand shops that sell maternity wear b/c that kind of stuff is typically rarely worn.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
I would vote for French nails, very decent look.

:P
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
Interview Wardrobe Choice - Women [#permalink]
Hi Guys (or ladies),
I'm new to the forum so I'm sorry if an answer/collective opinion is posted on this topic elsewhere...

I am starting to prepare for interviews and aside from the obvious question prep, as a woman one of the first things on my mind is "what to wear"... :) Clearly a suit of some type, but I would like to please gather some opinions here:
1) Pants or skirt?
2) What kind of shirt? Button down, sweater shell, or more interesting silk sheath (all are pretty conservative)
3) What color? I wear suits to work, so I have a selection of black, gray, dark gray pinstripe, tan, and navy pinstripe options...
4) Shoes? Heels, flats, or boots?

When I first think about it I lean toward a black suit with pants, blue/white checked nicely fitted button down, and patent leather pumps... Thoughts?

Thanks!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 114 [1]
Given Kudos: 13
Concentration: International Development, Social Enterprise
Schools:Wharton, Chicago, Columbia, NYU, Harvard, Stanford
 Q48  V47
GPA: 3.6 - Ivy
Send PM
Re: Interview Wardrobe Choice - Women [#permalink]
Kudos
Hi Sneaky,

Welcome to the forum, and congrats on the invite(s)!

You might find this thread to be helpful: business-attire-for-women-58705.html

Also this one, to a lesser extent re: clothing, but still: come join the ladies:
calling-all-female-mba-applicants-84636.html

Most of the interview apparel discussion relates to the menfolk on these boards... I have not found it especially helpful, alas. There's also been a fair amount of debate about how appropriate a black suit is in interview situations -- some say it's only appropriate at funerals -- but this is probably not make-or-break in any situation and certainly not for school admissions interviews. Besides, you're in better shape than I am (only one suit! - black) because you have a whole selection from which to choose. Wear what fits you and looks professional. What you describe sounds good to me.

Good luck!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Schools:R2: MIT (ding), Stanford (WL w/int), Wharton (WL w/ int), Emory (admitted!)
 Q48  V41
Send PM
Great thread! :-)
Please add me to the list.
R2: Wharton, GSB, Sloan, McCombs, Goizueta

Waiting impatiently for news!
Intern
Intern
Schools:H/S/W/Tuck/Booth
GPA: 3.7
WE 1: 6 years Consulting
Send PM
Hi, Please add me to the list as well. I've applied to H/S/W/Tuck Round 2 for Fall 2010, the wait is nerve-wracking!

Anyone applying to the schools above from the bay area? It would be nice to meetup...
Intern
Intern
 Q49  V42
Send PM
I'm also from the Bay Area. I applied to H/W/Columbia/Stern during Round 2.

The wait is excruciating. I keep second guessing myself - there's no way to play it cool during this process.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 233 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Social Enterprise
Schools:The Duke MBA, Class of 2009
Send PM
A woman I work with is quite pregnant, and here is how she's handling it:

1. Wear a work dress and throw a nice jacket over it. The dress she wore today is probably something she'll be able to wear post-pregnancy due to an empire waste and flowy fit. I think the jacket is something she already had. She didn't button it, of course.

2. Find a good pair of pants and then match it with a jacket you already have for a "sport jacket" look.

I don't know if these are dressy enough options, but I think they'd be ok for a biz casual interview, such as those at Duke.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 42 [0]
Given Kudos: 17
Send PM
Thought I'd bump this given WSJ's article today

Women MBAs still lag in pay

Interesting to note how much might the result of being less forceful in negotiating pay and bonuses (which was the result of another study) and not lobbying for positions in order to allow for having children.
Current Student
Schools:Kellogg, Ross, Stern-withdrew, Fuqua
Send PM
Please add me to the roll coll. I applied R2 to Kellogg (interviewed)/Ross (interviewed)/Duke (interviewed) and Stern. Btw-the wait is excruciating. I too have second guessed myself, but refuse to give into the anxiety!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 178 [0]
Given Kudos: 36
Send PM
I just updated the front-page list. Feel free to let us know how your apps are progressing as well - this way admits to same schools would know of each-other. I am currently waiting on results from Wharton and Emory (both expected around late March, early April).
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Concentration: International business, pharmaceutical, bio-tech
Schools:Cambridge/Judge '11
Send PM
I'm admitted to Hult and Katz, safety schools. Interviews for Cambridge and Oxford next week. Anyone applied for Oxbridge?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 61 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Concentration: Finance & Entreprenuerial Management
Schools:Wharton Class of 2012 w/ fellowship
GPA: 3.4 - Top 5 UG
Send PM
bump...how are things fairing for the women? how are you dealing with the wait?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Concentration: International business, pharmaceutical, bio-tech
Schools:Cambridge/Judge '11
Send PM
I got admitted to both Cambridge and Oxford. Visited both schools. It was really interesting, and both cities were beautiful. Now I have to choose....

How are you ladies doing with your applications? Please share. :)
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 42 [0]
Given Kudos: 17
Send PM
I'm about 99% sure I'll be attending Ross and am more or less working on the assumption that it's where I'll end up. Booth releases R2 (and R1 waitlist) decisions next week, so the only thing I haven't gotten to yet is shopping around for the non-federal portion of my loans. Otherwise, I've more or less moved into sorting out logistical details type stuff related to quitting work and getting set up in Ann Arbor.

I'm done in about 5 weeks and I can hardly believe it!
Current Student
Schools:UCLA
Send PM
Rejected by Berkeley and most likely Stanford--which is OK, they were definitely reaches--I am definitely "non-traditional" and am only working part-time right now :shock: which doesnt really jive with the expectations of those schools.

Accepted with $ at UCSD.

Interviews and waiting at both UCLA and USC....would love to go to UCLA (its definitely my first choice) however, went up to LA and toured schools/daycare for my kids and was totally turned off. And perhaps this belongs in the venting thread--I am losing sleep over the fact that I cant stand the elementary/preschools I saw in LA (both private and public). Can I say that it is harder to find a good kindergarten than get into an MBA? (one that is safe, but non-snotty, but yet reasonably priced and oh, might actually teach my kids something so that they might learn to read by the time they are in high school)

Im not sure what I will do if I get into UCLA...(it might actually be a huge relief if I get rejected.)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Schools:Chicago Booth c/o 2012
Send PM
dcdevil wrote:
Rejected by Berkeley and most likely Stanford--which is OK, they were definitely reaches--I am definitely "non-traditional" and am only working part-time right now :shock: which doesnt really jive with the expectations of those schools.

Accepted with $ at UCSD.

Interviews and waiting at both UCLA and USC....would love to go to UCLA (its definitely my first choice) however, went up to LA and toured schools/daycare for my kids and was totally turned off. And perhaps this belongs in the venting thread--I am losing sleep over the fact that I cant stand the elementary/preschools I saw in LA (both private and public). Can I say that it is harder to find a good kindergarten than get into an MBA? (one that is safe, but non-snotty, but yet reasonably priced and oh, might actually teach my kids something so that they might learn to read by the time they are in high school)

Im not sure what I will do if I get into UCLA...(it might actually be a huge relief if I get rejected.)

Have you looked at the UCLA Lab School? (https://www.labschool.ucla.edu/) No personal experience, but I've heard good things from others.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9