Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 11:49 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 11:49

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel

In/Dinged/WL ? (For fall 2010 applicants only)

91% [32]
2% [1]
5% [2]
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
 Q45  V41
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
 Q50  V45
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Strategic Management/Corp Innovation:Healthcare/Biotech/Pharma
Schools:Indiana Kelley/Class of 2012/Full tuition $$
WE 1: Healthcare/Biomedical Research
Send PM
Re: Calling all Indiana Kelley Fall 2010 Applicants [#permalink]
Hello Everyone,

Itz been a tad quiet on this forum... Anyone got $$$ awards? How're they shaping up?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Concentration: Strategy, SUpply Chain & Logistics, IB
Schools:CMU, Ross, Kellogg, Case, OSU, Stanford, Kelley
 Q48  V41
GPA: 3.9
Send PM
yaayyyy !!
just got my interview invite (R2 applicant) :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Supply Management
Schools:Kelley
Send PM
The only school applied to - EMBA, Summer '10, Accepted.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
Hi all. Any thoughts on a Kelley vs. Mendoza decision? After visiting, I was really impressed with Kelley's facilities and program. Mendoza is said to have quite an extensive alumni base. Looking at corporate finance post-grad. Thanks for any feedback.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Guys, itz getting to quiet here. Any more admits news? Campus visit news? $$ news? Kelley vs another school news? something? Anything?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
USF1 wrote:
Case2010 wrote:
I got my packet today!!

Posted from my mobile device

What was in the package?

USF1, sorry I am just getting back you now. The packet was a binder with a bunch of info: campus, moving, apt rentals, orientation, fall classes etc. I applied through CGSM so I am yet to get a $$ offer. They'd award CGSM membership and fellowship in March and then I'd be notified if I am offerd the fellowship.

Have you heard anything?....
Manager
Manager
Send PM
biz2012 wrote:
Hi all. Any thoughts on a Kelley vs. Mendoza decision? After visiting, I was really impressed with Kelley's facilities and program. Mendoza is said to have quite an extensive alumni base. Looking at corporate finance post-grad. Thanks for any feedback.

biz2012, I visited Kelley and was also very impressed with the facilities but in addition to that, the program strength and what appears to be a dedication-to-excellence culture there was that impressed me the most. I have not been to Mendoza (didnt apply there) but arent they ranked a tad lower than Kelley (at least on BW)? In addition to the extensive alumni base, what else struck you abou the Mendoza program? What are thier specific strengths (is any). List what you consider the strong points of the 2 programs here and we'd walk over them together. What are you looking for from a top tier program? The point-by-point juxtaposition will be helpful not just to you but to all of us....
Manager
Manager
Send PM
KitKat wrote:
I also visited recently and was super impressed.

I will compare with my other visits: Kellogg (deny), Cornell (deny), Duke (deny), Carnegie (waitlist), UNC (admit), Haas (did not apply).

At one extreme, Kellogg students seemed to be overly focused on their clubs and activities outside the classroom. At the other extreme, Duke and Carnegie students both seemed exhausted and overwhelmed by their school work. Indiana was the perfect mix--down to earth students that seemed like they could have fun, but at the same time were outwardly excited about their courses. I attended two different classes and the IU profs were up there with any of the best that I've experienced at other schools (e.g. Bob Frank @ Cornell).

The IU Integrated Core is very appealing (to me, atleast), and their academies seem like great resources to help drum up internship opportunities after year 1. Many of the 1st years were in suits and having their first intern interviews when I was there, and a Target recruiter cruised past our group on the building tour.

Also, about the building...I think in my visits only Duke stands out as having more impressive facilities (Kellogg/Haas/UNC tie for 3rd, Carnegie 6th, Cornell pretty distant 7th).

That said, I liked the immediate area surrounding IU better than that of Fuqua. IU just had such a great community feel and a beautiful campus, and Kirkwood Ave is literally right across the street so that you can walk from B-school to bars/restaurants/shops/book stores/dunkin donuts.

IU location seems like a downer, but they are actually in a great spot in the country if you're interested in marketing or brand management at one of the many consumer goods or retail companies located in the midwest (Minneapolis, Chicago, Ohio).

I was really falling in love with the place, but then on my last night there I got an admit to UNC. So, now I almost dread the decision if I'm lucky enough to have a choice.

Anyway, definitely give IU a serious look. Try to make the drive down to Bloomington if you're in Chicago for a Kellogg visit. I think you'd be surprised at how your IU visit stacks up. Purdue is also on the way between CHI and Bloomington.

Hello KitKat,

Thank you for the detailed comparison! Having been to Kellogg (interviewed R2, waiting; mite get dinged :roll: ) and Kelley, I agree with your comments and thanks for your observations about the other places some of us haven't been to. A combination of the Core, the academies, the Kelley brand amongnst MBA circles and thier career services are promising per internships and jobs etc. I was there too when some yr1's internship interviews were ongoing...I was told that some students will come out of thier interviews and tell the next students the questions they were asked. Sounds like if team spirit is for you, Kelley might be a good option....

The students I met, in addition to making me feel mega underqualified AND super proud to have gotten in so I can get to rub minds with such top talents, were a balanced group as you pointed out. When I pointed out the talent of the student body, one of them used the term "quiet confidence": almost everyone was "a leader of consequence" (OK, thatz me quoting Duke. btw, they dinged me lol. So I was happy with your comparisons Kelley vs Duke.... :lol: ha ha) before coming to campus but are humble to work together. You get my drift...

So you think you gonna go to UNC? Have you heard back from Kelley? Do you know much about Olin? What do you wanna do post MBA?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Case2010 wrote:
biz2012 wrote:

biz2012, I visited Kelley and was also very impressed with the facilities but in addition to that, the program strength and what appears to be a dedication-to-excellence culture there was that impressed me the most. I have not been to Mendoza (didnt apply there) but arent they ranked a tad lower than Kelley (at least on BW)? In addition to the extensive alumni base, what else struck you abou the Mendoza program? What are thier specific strengths (is any). List what you consider the strong points of the 2 programs here and we'd walk over them together. What are you looking for from a top tier program? The point-by-point juxtaposition will be helpful not just to you but to all of us....

Case2010,

Thanks for your feedback. My visit to Mendoza didn't offer many surprises. In terms of strengths, it's apparent that an emphasis in ethics is interwoven throughout the Mendoza curriculum. Also, I'd consider the alumni network one of the program's biggest strengths. There definitely seems to be the feeling around the school that the program is on the "up and up" and that its administrators, faculty, and students are looking for ways to facilitate its improvement.

Kelley, to me, was very strong (albeit a bit under the radar if you ask me). The academies aspect of the program seems to offer quite a competitive advantage for "career switchers" like myself. Also, the faculty seemed very passionate about not only their respective fields, but about the Kelley program as a whole. Kelley students seemed extremely driven, but not at the expense of their fellow classmates. Additionally, the facilities at Kelley (in my opinion) are fantastic.

In speaking with alumni, current students, and faculty of both programs, as well as the financial packages, I'm definitely leaning toward Kelley. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something. Are you thinking seriously about Kelley?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
biz2012 wrote:
Case2010 wrote:
biz2012 wrote:

Case2010,

Thanks for your feedback. My visit to Mendoza didn't offer many surprises. In terms of strengths, it's apparent that an emphasis in ethics is interwoven throughout the Mendoza curriculum. Also, I'd consider the alumni network one of the program's biggest strengths. There definitely seems to be the feeling around the school that the program is on the "up and up" and that its administrators, faculty, and students are looking for ways to facilitate its improvement.

Kelley, to me, was very strong (albeit a bit under the radar if you ask me). The academies aspect of the program seems to offer quite a competitive advantage for "career switchers" like myself. Also, the faculty seemed very passionate about not only their respective fields, but about the Kelley program as a whole. Kelley students seemed extremely driven, but not at the expense of their fellow classmates. Additionally, the facilities at Kelley (in my opinion) are fantastic.

In speaking with alumni, current students, and faculty of both programs, as well as the financial packages, I'm definitely leaning toward Kelley. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something. Are you thinking seriously about Kelley?

Hello biz2012,

Sorry am just getting back to you now. Yes, I am seriously considering Kelley! I agree with all the observations you made. I am in the process of comparing two schools and I was wanted to see if there was anything negative that stood out to you. So it was very kuul that all you pointed out were all positive :) A few excerpts from your post:
a)very strong program (albeit a bit under the radar if you ask me): ditto
b)The academies aspect of the program seems to offer quite a competitive advantage for "career switchers" like myself. Ditto. Am a career switcher too.
c)Kelley students seemed extremely driven, but not at the expense of their fellow classmates: double ditto(a very strong plus for them)!
d)the facilities at Kelley (in my opinion) are fantastic: ditto squared! :lol:

Per your comparisons, here are my two cents: Choose the school that best "fits" you. That having been said, I'd say that if it comes down to a school thatz is 'on the "up and up"' vs one thats already proven to be on the "up" (again this is all relative, what I mean is if to YOU, Kelley is already on the "up" and Mendoza is still 'on the "up and up"'), then I'd suggest you go with the one thatz already there. In a race of 100 meters, ALL THINGS BEING CONSTANT, I'd team up with the guy 20 meters ahead. So you have to figure out which school is "up front" for YOU and team up with them. Am not sure the above makes sense but hopefully you get my drift....lol...

Let us know what you decide. Any other school you considering?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Waitlisted at Kenan-Flagler. I'm not really sure how to handle it, though. I did enjoy my visit there, but the fact that I was waitlisted leads me to believe that, even if I were to be admitted, Kenan-Flagler would not offer the combo of the fellowship (half) and GA that Kelley offered. I understand both programs have strong regional brands but, assuming post-graduate location is not an issue, anyone have a take on comparison of program caliber (also considering the above financial situation)? Thanks.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
I second all those thoughts on Kelley being great for career changers and the faculty/staff being very passionate about the students.

I'm trying to decide now between Kelley with $$ and McCombs w/o money. I'm interested in strategy consulting post MBA and feel that McCombs has a stronger presence with recruiters, but Kelley still places quite well in that field. Anyone have thoughs on the two programs?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Times2012 wrote:
I'm trying to decide now between Kelley with $$ and McCombs w/o money. I'm interested in strategy consulting post MBA and feel that McCombs has a stronger presence with recruiters, but Kelley still places quite well in that field. Anyone have thoughs on the two programs?

Times2012, I did not apply McCombs so I don't know much to make a heavyweight comparison. However, everyone I know who went to undergrad in Texas got very good jobs (admittedly, they were all in engineering/Info sys) so I think the TX market is very strong. That having been said, the 2 schools send grads around the country so if you are not bent on settling in TX, there might be no much difference. I think they are comparable in program strength altho BW ranks Kelley a bit higher. But it depends on where you think you "fit" more. Did you visit both?

However, I am interested in what you said about strategy consulting. I also interested in it (potentially from a healthcare/biotech angle) and was wondering if you could share more. You noted that Kelley places quite well in that field. Could you please elaborate?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
biz2012 wrote:
Waitlisted at Kenan-Flagler. I'm not really sure how to handle it, though. I did enjoy my visit there, but the fact that I was waitlisted leads me to believe that, even if I were to be admitted, Kenan-Flagler would not offer the combo of the fellowship (half) and GA that Kelley offered. I understand both programs have strong regional brands but, assuming post-graduate location is not an issue, anyone have a take on comparison of program caliber (also considering the above financial situation)? Thanks.

Altho BW ranks Kelley higher, I think the strengths are comparable. It depends on whether one of them is especially better in your intended post-MBA field and your "fit". If all things are constant, then I'd say go with where you got more $$ or where'd cost you less $$.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
 Q50  V45
Send PM
So where would you go if you got equal $$ from UNC and IU? Is UNC a no brainer? I've been to both and honestly I'm more impressed with IU. But, UNC is so strong in sustainability, which is the direction I really want to go in.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
KitKat wrote:
So where would you go if you got equal $$ from UNC and IU? Is UNC a no brainer? I've been to both and honestly I'm more impressed with IU. But, UNC is so strong in sustainability, which is the direction I really want to go in.

Are the Kelley and Kenan-Flagler brands comparable? In your opinion, where would be a better "fit" for you?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
I am a current MBA student, and chose Kelley over NYU Stern, mainly due to Kelley's lower cost. Since I started at Kelley, I've been blown away by the school's resources and the quality of the instruction, and I now know this was absolutely the right choice for me - regardless of any trivial differences in perceived reputational rank, etc. I did the whole ivy league undergrad thing, and I think Kelley's professors are on par with that, if not better. The biggest surprise for me was the quality of fellow students - a really accomplished group. Some bloggers here have characterized the academies as portals for career changes - I think this assessment is spot on, it gives Kelley a competitive advantage over other schools. As far as the earlier comment about various schools being "on the up": in addition to expected and ongoing quality enhancements, I personally believe all Kelley programs will see a boost from the renovation of the undergraduate school (the graduate center is actually physically connected to the undergrad school). Construction begins this year, and if you look at the building plans (which can be found on the web), Kelley as a whole will be an incredible complex, and should garner considerable attention.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts