Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 14:21 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 14:21

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 303 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship, Health Care
Schools:Wharton
 Q50  V44
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 71 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Concentration: Finance, International Business
Schools:Kellogg Class of 2011
Current Student
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 254 [0]
Given Kudos: 17
Concentration: Health Enterprise Management, Marketing, Strategy, Finance, Analytical Consulting, Economics
Send PM
Re: FAFSA Strategies [#permalink]
maverick2011 wrote:
EFC does matter. The financial aid office is going to compare your EFC to the expected cost of attending their school for 2009-2010. Let's say your EFC is $15K per year and the cost of attendance is $75K. Then the school will allow you to make up that $60K difference with scholarships, loans, and to a lesser extent, grants. The lower your EFC is, the more money you are eligible for.

That's not quite true. Regardless of what your EFC is, you can still borrow full cost of attendance (less scholarships and grants) with Stafford and GradPLUS loans. So in your example above, assuming the person got no scholarships, they could get $20.5k in Stafford loans and $54.5k in GradPLUS loans.

The EFC is used as an index so that schools can quickly assess the relative financial need of applicants for determining who qualifies for need-based aid.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 7305 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Schools: UCSD ($) , UCLA, USC ($), Stanford
Send PM
zoinnk wrote:
chineseburned wrote:
Sorry for the silly question but is there any benefit in applying for FAFSA if the combination of scholarship and savings may get you through the 2 years?

More money is never a bad thing...You can always decide to turn it down later once you've seen your aid package.

I see. Thanks.
My only concern with filing (and not using) is that this is an inquiry on your credit report that will affect negatively your score in the short term and will stay on your report for 2 years.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 254 [0]
Concentration: Health Enterprise Management, Marketing, Strategy, Finance, Analytical Consulting, Economics
Send PM
Filing a FAFSA isn't a credit inquiry because you're not applying for a loan yet. After you file the FAFSA and your school determines your financial aid package, then you apply for loans - at which point the inquiry will show up on your credit history.
Current Student
Jerz wrote:
That's not quite true. Regardless of what your EFC is, you can still borrow full cost of attendance (less scholarships and grants) with Stafford and GradPLUS loans. So in your example above, assuming the person got no scholarships, they could get $20.5k in Stafford loans and $54.5k in GradPLUS loans.

The EFC is used as an index so that schools can quickly assess the relative financial need of applicants for determining who qualifies for need-based aid.

I see. Thanks for the clarification. I guess I misunderstood the financial aid officer at Kellogg. I've never been able to find this information (how they use EFC) on the schools' websites.

EDIT: I think I remember what she was saying now...basically, just what you said: they subtract the EFC from the cost of attendance to determine your "need". Your "need" is used to determine eligibility for need-based aid and, in Kellogg's case, merit/need-based scholarships. But you can take out a loan for the full cost minus scholarships and grants.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 222 [0]
Given Kudos: 31
Concentration: Healthcare, Strategy, MC
Schools:Kellogg '11
Send PM
Finally filed the FAFSA. Woo.

Yes, it was a bit later than ideal. But better later than never :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Send PM
How little do you have to make to qualify for subsidized Stafford loans? I qualified and I am almost positive it was a mistake by the school....
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 39 [0]
Concentration: Management Consulting, Social Enterprise, Environmental Sustainability, International Business
Schools:Fuqua '11
 Q48  V47
Send PM
Just sent mine away(with $0 expected family contribution, woohoo. Being a volunteer has its perks sometimes). Since I placed 3 schools on my 'schools you are considering attending' list, I'm curious how will they base their aid package since the 2 (especially Wharton vs Duke) have a much different expected cost of living.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 107 [0]
Schools:Kellogg '10
 Q46  V47
Send PM
getmeouttahere wrote:
How little do you have to make to qualify for subsidized Stafford loans? I qualified and I am almost positive it was a mistake by the school....

This issue popped up for a few of us at Kellogg who thought we made above the subsidized limit but still qualify, so I'm not really sure how it works.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 178 [0]
Given Kudos: 36
Send PM
I ran the FAFSA estimator today and it allowed me to set a custom annual school expense (80G) instead of the predefined 20G. I also experimented with drastically different income and savings amounts and there was barely any difference in the loan amounts. In any case It showed I would be given access to the maximum size of subsidized and unsubsidized Staffort loans.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Schools:Cornell, Haas, USC, Tepper
Send PM
This is helpful. Thanks!
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72871 [1]
Given Kudos: 18857
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Us Department of Education posted a Video on how to fill out the FAFSA Application: https://www.ed.gov/blog/2010/01/tips-for ... the-fafsa/
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Send PM
Just curious, is there such thing as a "deadline" for R2 applicants to file the FAFSA? Or do we first find out where we are accepted and then file the FAFSA to determine financial eligibility? Thanks!
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 68 [0]
Given Kudos: 21
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
Schools:Fuqua Class of 2012
 Q50  V42
Send PM
Anyone have any advice for FAFSA when you have been accepted at an R1 school on your list but are waiting to hear (probably until end of March) from some R2 schools? I see general mention of filling out these things early, even before February, but kinda hard when you don't know where you're going.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 42 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
You can add multiple schools (up to 10)-I just turned mine in today. Added the school that I will likely be going to, but also the school that waitlisted me and the one that I applied to in Round 2.

Ross gave me a 3/1 deadline and I won't hear from Booth or Sloan until after that, so I just went ahead and added their names.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 138 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Schools:Duke 2012
Send PM
When I was at Duke last year, they said to fill it out right away after you fill out your taxes even if it's before decisions are out. I assume that holds true for all schools. When you fill it out, it's easy to pick multiple schools like the person above said.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 175 [1]
Given Kudos: 20
Concentration: Management Consulting
Schools: Ross 2012
 Q50  V44
WE 1: 5 Years at Fortune 50 Company in Manufacturing
Send PM
Kudos
This is from my understanding. People are welcome to contridict me if they would like. But:

1) the deadlines is a deadlines, but it's a soft deadline.

2) for graduate programs it really doesn't matter (and definitely not for MBA/LAW/MED Program) when we file since we will qualify only for the grad plus and other loans. We don't qualify for grants (apparently we're not impoverish enough).

3) most schools that do need the fafsa only require it to be filled out before you submit it to the school financial aid department, which coincides with a mid-may time frame I believe.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: Finance
Schools:HBS 2012
 Q49  V42
Send PM
I just submitted mine but then remembered I hadn't contributed the 5k for 2009 to my Roth yet. Should it be legit to amend my FAFSA to reflect this (and maybe make my 2010 contribution now too)?
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5