Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 10:24 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 10:24

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 10035 [0]
Given Kudos: 361
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Other
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2011
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V40
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
MBA Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 99 [0]
Concentration: Finance, Marketing, Strategy, Entrepreneurship
Schools:University of Chicago, Columbia, Wharton, Stanford, Harvard, Cornell, NYU, Duke, Indiana
Send PM
Re: Top Entrepreneurship Schools? [#permalink]
Among the top business schools, Chicago Booth, Harvard, Stanford, Wharton and Haas have great entrepreneurship programs. Booth in particular, I can personally attest to from my own MBA with one of my concentrations in entrepreneurship. Among top 20 schools, Indiana Kelley, Austin McCombs and Babson College have great programs as well.

Obviously, you will find good entrepreneurship programs at many top schools. In this economy, as the jobs outlook remains uncertain, an increasing number of applicants are thinking of starting their own concern. Yesterday's Wall Street Journal even had an article of this trend continuing for years to come https://bit.ly/cctuaO Go to the best program you can get in at - the brand reputation and network will stand you in good stead all through your career. But if you have to choose between multiple top ones, pick the one that has more connections with the industry you are planning to focus on.

Good to know you are planning ahead for the Fall 2011 application season. Feel free to drop us a line at mbaconsult@mymbaadmit.com to discuss your application further when you are ready. Check out our Volume Discounts and Application Packages tailored to your admission needs.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
What about MIT?
Schools:University of Chicago, Columbia, Wharton, Stanford, Harvard, Cornell, NYU, Duke, Indiana
Send PM
wes00002 wrote:
What about MIT?

MIT is another top school with a strong entrepreneurship program. Again, depending on what you plan to focus your venture in, you will find that different programs meet your needs better.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Cool. I was thinking tech oriented (video advertising).

I haven't found information regarding differing industry specializations by school. Where could I go to find out that type of info?
Send PM
wes00002 wrote:
Cool. I was thinking tech oriented (video advertising).

I haven't found information regarding differing industry specializations by school. Where could I go to find out that type of info?

Start researching the schools in greater detail by talking to alumni and admissions. Obviously, geography and economy plays a part.
Affiliations: Founder, Amerasia Consulting Group
Own Kudos [?]: 268 [0]
Given Kudos: 264
Send PM
Expert Reply
Yes, I view MIT as a Haas East or Haas as a Sloan West. GSB and UCLA Anderson have great Entrepreneurship program as well. (Disclosure: I went to Anderson) IMHO, Wharton and HBS are underrated as entrepreneurial schools given the strengths of their other programs.
I think another program that flies under the radar with respect to entrepreneurship is Tepper. They have an extremely strong cross pollination between the b-school and other schools at Carnegie Mellon.
To dial it in, I would focus on what you want to do with your entrepreneurship play.
So, as an example:
- MIT, Haas, Tepper, GSB, Anderson - IT entrepreneurship
- Yale, Haas, GSB - Social entrepreneurship

Above all, given the choices between entrepreneurial programs, in today's job/macro environment, go with the school that is in the area of greatest career opportunity and network. For example, this would mean a Haas or GSB and then graduating into the Valley startup culture. Babson and Sloan would be the east coast manifestation of this.
Respectfully,
Paul Lanzillotti
wes00002 wrote:
What about MIT?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thank you for the tip.

I have no data to back this up, but judging by the brand of MIT, it would think their entrepreneurship program would be more technical... Do you know if that is the case?

Do you have any information about the differences between the top school entrepreneurship programs from a curriculum stand point? Or do you know of a resource that has information about top school entrepreneurship curriculum gathered together in one place???

________________________________________________________________________________
In God we trust. All others bring data! :)
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Computer Science
Send PM
For entrepreneurship, you can't wrong with an Stanford, Wharton, or MIT. Especially Stanford and MIT if you are IT related. Stanford is in the heart of Silicon Valley, and many, many good entrepreneurs have passed through Stanford.
GMAT Club Bot