Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 01:02 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 01:02

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 43 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
Schools:Tuck - Class of 2012
 Q49  V47
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [1]
Given Kudos: 5
Schools:Ross R2, Duke R2
 Q48  V44
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [1]
Given Kudos: 9
Concentration: HSM
Schools:Fuqua Class of 2012
Send PM
Re: Calling All Duke Fall 2010 Applicants! (MERGED) [#permalink]
Kudos
Re: the grading policy - a friend who's a Fuqua alum from a few years back pointed me towards this video he had a hand in. Good for a quick laugh:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1xLV23t1rLY

(note: I visited Darden and thought it was great, so I try to look at this more as a general stand against "gunning")
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 43 [0]
Schools:Tuck - Class of 2012
 Q49  V47
Send PM
SJM2 wrote:
You're right -- it's just a different way to look at it. What I can tell you, though, is that the grade disclosure policy does nothing to raise the competitive stakes here. There is no pervasive sense of competitiveness here at all. In fact, those who have been more well equipped in certain classes -- to follow your analogy above -- have often hosted help sessions for their classmates. And as for the electives (you're right, Fuqua has one of the most flexible curricula in the country), I'm not aware of anyone who's stacking the deck in their favor by taking classes that come easy to them. Generally, people take what interests them and what could prove applicable in their careers. Some students might be taking a lighter workload this term, but that's to give them time for the job search -- something that, fortunately, Fuqua allows us to do. It's all part of the culture here. I don't know if the admissions team sniffs out the cutthroat egomaniacs before they can ever get in here, but whatever it is, the collaborative, supportive environment remains strong despite the grade policy.

Thanks a lot for the thoughtful reply, this is all great to hear. Best of luck in recruiting this year!
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 123 [0]
Given Kudos: 3439
Send PM
SJM2 wrote:
A couple of you have been concerned about the tie or no tie deal. All I can say there is that the school truly wants you to be comfortable, so dress according to that and only that. You're not going to impress anyone if you wear a tie (and you might come off a little stiff), and you're certainly not going to disappoint anyone if you go without one.

Good luck!

Seconded. I went with a suit, no tie. There were a handful of people who went suit jacket but non-matching pants and one or two who had no jacket. No one thought anybody looked out of place.

Plus if you're on either end of the spectrum you can always make a joke about it. If you feel over-dressed for business casual, tell your interviewer that he/she would love to see your business formal attire. It's like a 13 piece suit. Or if you feel under-dressed, say you were the only one that actually read the e-mail instructions (like someone's interviewer told them in an ED/R1 IV earlier in this thread). You can use any situation to your favor, I think, as long as you don't take it too seriously.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Healthcare
Schools:R1: Kellogg WL, Haas WL, Fuqua, Darden R2: Wharton
 Q48  V44
GPA: 3.09
WE 1: Biotech Strategy
WE 2: Health Economics
Send PM
JohnnyBravo wrote:
bonethugnhominy wrote:
So.. are most people showing up in a suit & tie?

I wore a nice suit, but ditched the tie in an effort to not completely disregard their instructions re: attire.

My exact move.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Schools:Ross R2, Duke R2
 Q48  V44
Send PM
Sooo.........two weeks to decision time? Eeps!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Schools:Wharton, Kellogg(Accept), Haas, Fuqua, McCombs, Columbia, USC
 Q51  V39
GPA: 3.33
WE 1: 4 Years High Tech
WE 2: Marketing Management Role at Non-Profit
WE 3: 2 Year International based internet startup.
Send PM
Hello my friends, I have something that need an opinion or two.

I had an Saturday interview at a hub in CA. My interview was strictly 30 min + 5 min for Q&A.
My interviewer started to look at the clock at close to 30 min. I later learned from someone else who interviewed with another alum at the same hub his was close to 1 hour. What can I take from this?
Anyone else who interviewed at the SF hub? 30 min felt really short for me and I had a lot more to say. :(

I am not sure if they did have a strict time limit, and if so why another person interviewed close to an hour. If there is no time limit, then I guess I the person didn't feel me at all. Yikes! Should I ask for another one?

million thanks.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [1]
Schools:Columbia, Wharton, HBS
 Q49  V42
Send PM
Kudos
goldenspaceship wrote:
Hello my friends, I have something that need an opinion or two.

I had an Saturday interview at a hub in CA. My interview was strictly 30 min + 5 min for Q&A.
My interviewer started to look at the clock at close to 30 min. I later learned from someone else who interviewed with another alum at the same hub his was close to 1 hour. What can I take from this?
Anyone else who interviewed at the SF hub? 30 min felt really short for me and I had a lot more to say. :(

I am not sure if they did have a strict time limit, and if so why another person interviewed close to an hour. If there is no time limit, then I guess I the person didn't feel me at all. Yikes! Should I ask for another one?

million thanks.

I dont think you will get another interview even if you ask for one. Given a chance, I'm sure there's something that all of us could do better in an interview. Just reflect on what you can do better and crack the next one.

On a separate note, interviewers are just trying to determine fit and see if you'll do well at Duke. If they figured it out in 30 minutes, you probably did a good job -- i hope you took the rest of the time to ask "intelligent" questions to show how much you <3 Duke. Good luck!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Schools:Columbia, Wharton, HBS
 Q49  V42
Send PM
JohnnyBravo wrote:

Double eeeeps!
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 123 [0]
Given Kudos: 3439
Send PM
lbiggs wrote:
JohnnyBravo wrote:

Double eeeeps!

Triple eeps for this guy. There's a rumor going around that Duke's policy school might be releasing their acceptance/waitlist decisions tomorrow afternoon. Not getting one of those would make waiting for Fuqua bittersweet. :?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [4]
Given Kudos: 9
Concentration: HSM
Send PM
Kudos
@ACNguy - Finally got a hold of someone in the financial aid office after going through the school's main line - really nice guy, apologized about technical difficulties with their VM system. Anyway, he said that filling out the form with your personal email address and leaving the Duke ID field blank will work just fine.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
 Q42  V42
GPA: 3.3
WE 1: Public Accounting - 2 yrs
WE 2: PE Fund Accounting - 3 yrs
Send PM
How certain are we that decisions will go out next Friday, March 5? It seemed to me in R1 that Duke was planning to wait until the actual deadline, but had their hand forced because a few emails for the admitted student site leaked out the Friday before.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
 Q42  V42
GPA: 3.3
WE 1: Public Accounting - 2 yrs
WE 2: PE Fund Accounting - 3 yrs
Send PM
kidd38s wrote:
@ACNguy - Finally got a hold of someone in the financial aid office after going through the school's main line - really nice guy, apologized about technical difficulties with their VM system. Anyway, he said that filling out the form with your personal email address and leaving the Duke ID field blank will work just fine.

Thanks for checking this out. +1
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 56 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
Concentration: General
Schools:Ross Class of 2012
 Q47  V40
Send PM
kidd38s wrote:

+1 to you. Submitted my second Fuqua Financial Aid request form, now with my personal email included.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Schools:Duke
 Q44  V42
Send PM
kidd38s wrote:

+1 Thanks! This information is very helpful to everyone planning to attend!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Schools:Chicago, Yale, UCLA, Duke (Withdrawn), Stanford, Berkeley
Send PM
I recently went to Durham for my interview. The campus, as well as the students I met & interviewed with, were all awesome. This was one visit that really did a good job at selling the school.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Please add me to roll call for Rd 2. Just about a week to go...
Thanks!
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Schools: MIT (Sloan) - Class of 2012
Send PM
coakleym wrote:
lbiggs wrote:
JohnnyBravo wrote:

Double eeeeps!

Triple eeps for this guy. There's a rumor going around that Duke's policy school might be releasing their acceptance/waitlist decisions tomorrow afternoon. Not getting one of those would make waiting for Fuqua bittersweet. :?

I don't know if these means anything and may be unrelated, but my girlfriend applied to the Sanford Public Policy School and got her admit last week.

Just an FYI ... I wouldn't look to deeply into it.
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  45   46   47   48   49   50   51  ...  65   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts