Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 20:40 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 20:40

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: Corporate Finance
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Schools:USC(CGSM), NYU(Int), Texas(CGSM), Ross(CGSM), LBS(Int), Kellogg(Int,JDMBA)
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1682 [1]
Given Kudos: 210
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Schools:USC(CGSM), NYU(Int), Texas(CGSM), Ross(CGSM), LBS(Int), Kellogg(Int,JDMBA)
Send PM
Re: The London Business School 2010 thread [#permalink]
Thanks for the insight.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1264 [0]
Given Kudos: 32
Send PM
Frontline wrote:
Just had a flashback: my interviewer explicitly said at the start that it is "absolutely not a make-or-break", the interview is just part of the set of "inputs" that the adcom would consider holistically. In my mind, the interview had a much more crucial role in the application. I guess it all comes back again to the essays, the strengths of the profile and its fit within the forming class (in other words, a good deal of luck in the latter).
Any thoughts on this?

hi frontline, I was told the same by my interviewer... but i feel that the interview is more than a data point... the interview is a make-or-break between close calls.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1264 [0]
Send PM
JoeMahmah wrote:
Thanks for the insight.

now i know where i can find a gym partner :-D
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
Concentration: General MBA
 Q49  V44
GPA: 3.6
Send PM
I hope that the simple act of walking everywhere should help us lose and retain the weight. Right now I'm sitting all day - in the car, in my office, on my couch at home. Yes, I work out 4-5 times a week, but that short spur of activity is not enough to overcome the otherwise sedentary lifestyle. I'm really looking forward to donning a backpack and walking to school again, even if through fog and rain!

And it's awesome to know the gym is free...

By the way, London is home to a very famous marathon. You have to win a lottery to participate in full marathon just like with NYC, but I don't think it's a requirement for the half.

boeinz wrote:
JoeMahmah wrote:
Thanks for the insight.

Manager
Manager
Send PM
Boeinz and snowintx, half marathon here we come! I love this positive attitude we have of not accepting the possibility of not being accepted! :)

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Corporate Finance
Send PM
exactly! :-D wait, didn't we get the final acceptance!?

count me in any marathon/walk/hike/climb/park-jogging!

JoeMahmah wrote:
Boeinz and snowintx, half marathon here we come! I love this positive attitude we have of not accepting the possibility of not being accepted! :)

Manager
Manager
 Q49  V44
Send PM
How about this.... Oh thee Gods of Admissions! If you get me into LBS, I promise to run a half-marathon while in London!
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1682 [1]
Given Kudos: 210
Send PM
Kudos
A few folks in the running club are training to run paris marathon.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Schools:LBS
 Q46  V34
Send PM
boeinz wrote:
JoeMahmah wrote:
Thanks for the insight.

ditto (if I get in!)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1264 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
JoeMahmah wrote:

great stuff!

getting anxious....
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 15
Schools:LBS R3
Send PM
leave a mark :lol: Applied for R3. hoping for good news 8-)

p.s. count me in for whatever club. I think I put on more than 20 lbs :roll: (if lbs takes me.)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Kudos
Hey all,

I just spent a couple hours browsing this thread, and found it very helpful.

Thinking of applying for R4, even though its a long shot, because the timing in my life would just be too perfect if I somehow got in. My experience is a little less than most, but also a little different, so I thought I would put it out there see if you have any advice

M/25/750/GPA3.5 Top Canadian School/Mechanical Engineer/Canadian

Spent first 2.5 years out of school working for an Environmental Contracting company. Designed a couple Water Treatment Plants, eventually got promoted and was the manager of a smaller group (managed 15 people, a few million dollars worth of equipment, my group had yearly revenue of about $5M)

Left my job when an opportunity arose to be a Professional Race Car driver with Factory support from Volkswagen. Have spent the last 12 months, working full time on racing, this includes raising sponsorship money each season (I need to find around 50K in sponsors per season), organizing events for sponsors, attending events on behalf of VW, managing and marketing my "brand" as an athlete, working as coach and instructor for young drivers. Anyway, its been a fabulous experience, I've got to meet some high up execs with VW, learned a lot about Marketing/Sponsorship/The Car Business which was all new to me. Hopefully LBS would view this experience favorably as well.

Unfortunately, the long term career prospects in car racing if you're not an F1 driver aren't very lucrative (and I am already too old at 25 to every be in F1).

Anyway, my deal with Volkswagen ends in August, and I am looking to do a career switcheroo (at this point, my 2.5 years experience as a Mech Engineer told me its not what I want to do, I am way more interested in the Management and Finance side of business). From Calgary, so ideally I would like to pursue a future in the Energy sector, I'm especially interested in Exploration and Exploitation in the Oil Business.

Any advice would be appreciated!
Manager
Manager
 Q49  V44
Send PM
Hey bladez19,

I think your profile is unique, very interesting, and you have good numbers and solid education. I think LBS will love you, although you are a little on the young side. (I'm the same age, so don't take offense - it's just that European schools on average take somewhat older applicants) So my two cents is definitely try for the 4th round, and if it doesn't work out, repeat the application next year. LBS seems to be nice to its re-applicants, based on threads here at Gmatclub.

Now, I don't know how good LBS is with Oil Business. Have you looked at McCombs? It's been rubbing elbows with the oil industry here in Texas for as long as it's been in existence... Their application deadline for international applicants was Jan 15th though, so it's more an idea for next year if you don't end up applying in this one.

Best of luck to you, whatever you decide!

bladez19 wrote:
Hey all,

Thinking of applying for R4, even though its a long shot, because the timing in my life would just be too perfect if I somehow got in. My experience is a little less than most, but also a little different, so I thought I would put it out there see if you have any advice

Spent first 2.5 years out of school working for an Environmental Contracting company. Designed a couple Water Treatment Plants, eventually got promoted and was the manager of a smaller group (managed 15 people, a few million dollars worth of equipment, my group had yearly revenue of about $5M)

Left my job when an opportunity arose to be a Professional Race Car driver with Factory support from Volkswagen. Have spent the last 12 months, working full time on racing, this includes raising sponsorship money each season (I need to find around 50K in sponsors per season), organizing events for sponsors, attending events on behalf of VW, managing and marketing my "brand" as an athlete, working as coach and instructor for young drivers. Anyway, its been a fabulous experience, I've got to meet some high up execs with VW, learned a lot about Marketing/Sponsorship/The Car Business which was all new to me. Hopefully LBS would view this experience favorably as well.

Unfortunately, the long term career prospects in car racing if you're not an F1 driver aren't very lucrative (and I am already too old at 25 to every be in F1).

Anyway, my deal with Volkswagen ends in August, and I am looking to do a career switcheroo (at this point, my 2.5 years experience as a Mech Engineer told me its not what I want to do, I am way more interested in the Management and Finance side of business). From Calgary, so ideally I would like to pursue a future in the Energy sector, I'm especially interested in Exploration and Exploitation in the Oil Business.

Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 33 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
What an interesting profile, you definitely have the differentiation bonus!

LBS is not bad when it comes to the energy sector. Just recently saw many postings from Schlumberger, also Shell / BP recruited for summer interns, and all the remaining big oil companies recruit as well. Maybe get in touch with someone from the LBS Energy Club to find out more if you'd like. But I agree, give R4 a try!

bladez19 wrote:
Hey all,

Manager
Manager
Send PM
Bladez19, get that app in the door right now!!! People with your type of experience are exactly the type of people I would love to learn from in business school. Your story is somewhat similar to mine in terms of the diverse career choices and experiences, so I am probably biased. With your stats, management experience of 15 employees, and unique story, any school would be lucky to have you. Put together some killer essays with very clear career goals and you are a lock in my opinion.
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 15
Schools:LBS R3
Send PM
wow, I think you've got a great chance. Do apply for R4. The impression I've got is that LBS loves diversity and your profile will definitely stand out. All the best :-D

bladez19 wrote:
Hey all,

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Concentration: MBA
Schools:LBS, LBS, LBS
 Q49  V41
Send PM
Hey All,

A current Student I spoke with during my Interview Prep told me he'd been able to secure an internship and was working part-time with a British Energy Major for his 2nd year project. He seemed positive about getting into the Oil/Gas Sector...

So I feel that LBS is a great launching pad, and all the students / ex-students I spoke to said that the LBS brand is very powerful and should get you in the door wherever you want.

Cheers,
Pranay
p.s.@blade: I really liked your profile, and I wish you all the best in your app process!
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  47   48   49   50   51   52   53  ...  66   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts