Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 10:03 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 10:03

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Schools:USC(CGSM), NYU(Int), Texas(CGSM), Ross(CGSM), LBS(Int), Kellogg(Int,JDMBA)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Schools:Chicago Booth Class of 2012
WE 1: Big 4
WE 2: BB IB
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 25 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Schools:Michigan - Ross Class of 2012
 Q42  V39
GPA: 3.41
WE 1: Marketing within Financial Services
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Re: Calling all Fall 2010 Consortium Applicants (merged) [#permalink]
2012mbahopeful wrote:
Waitlisted at Tuck...(sigh)

"Thank you for applying to the Tuck School of Business at Dartmouth. After much thought and careful consideration, the admissions committee has decided to place your name on the waiting list for admission to the Tuck Class of 2012. Since Tuck puts very few people on the waitlist, you should view this as a positive response to your application."

I wonder how many is "very few"...not sure how to feel about this.

Got the same email. It's better than a denial, and I have yet to hear from Darden and NYU, so I'm assuming I still have hope based off today's news.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi there,

I'm a regular lurker, but wanted to jump in on something. Darden doesn't require an interview outside of the Consortium interview. I'm in a Darden with the fellowship and didn't have another interview, but I think the fact that they want to meet you is an awesome sign. I get the feeling that most Consortium interviews are relaxed, so they probably just want to get more specific.

Good luck!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hmm I don't quite know how to post replies so that they appear underneath the original post. Sorry! :-/

I'm also waitlisted at Tuck. I really appreciate schools that have decision release dates. At least you can plan accordingly. I haven't heard one word from NYU. I applied last year round 3 as a general applicant and was waitlisted without an interview. I was hoping that by applying earlier this time around, I'd have a better shot. The waiting game continues...

Happy Friday to all and have a great weekend! :-)

Back to Lurker's Boulevard I go :-)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Strategic Management/Corp Innovation:Healthcare/Biotech/Pharma
Schools:Indiana Kelley/Class of 2012/Full tuition $$
WE 1: Healthcare/Biomedical Research
Send PM
Ok, my Consortium packet did not make it in today :( (got a Kelley Experience Weekend FEDEX packet instead) But the "Welcome to the Class of 2012‏" e-mail earlier is sure a consolation that my packet is in the mail :-D Unless UPS is yet to rove over to my area. Itz 5.30PM EST tho so I doubt that...

JoeMahmah wrote:
I got that email too! I was thinking about Case2010 today, when I heard a JayZ song on pandora. lol

JoeMahmah, what song was it that reminded you of me? Funny cuz I only like maybe 2 JayZ songs :lol:
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Schools:USC(CGSM), NYU(Int), Texas(CGSM), Ross(CGSM), LBS(Int), Kellogg(Int,JDMBA)
Send PM
I was just referring to your post on the "Venting Thread" in regards to Jay Z's resume...I can't even write the name of the song without offending most people on Gmatclub, so I shall refrain ;)
Manager
Manager
Send PM
JoeMahmah wrote:
I was just referring to your post on the "Venting Thread" in regards to Jay Z's resume...I can't even write the name of the song without offending most people on Gmatclub, so I shall refrain ;)

Ha ha ha :lol: I get your drift.....lol
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
idcandy wrote:
onlyneed1 wrote:
I'm interviewing at Darden on Monday (I just got the invite a few days ago). Can anyone that interviewed there let me know what to expect?

As I recall, the interview was blind. Most of the time was focused on getting a broad picture of "my story." I was specifically asked for details that were not in my application, why an MBA now, why Darden, etc.

Of all of the interviews I had (I had
five), Darden's was the most
confrontational. The interviewer challenged my decision to pursue an MBA and as well as my decision
to apply to Darden. This may have
been a tactic to see how convicted
I was about studying for an MBA at Darden (and an MBA in general),
but it was certainly different from
other interviews. While I can't
promise that everyone's experience
at Darden was like mine, I have
heard - via word of mouth - that
other interviewees have reported
similar experiences, including
feeling like their interviewer was
trying to talk them out of going to
Darden or pursuing an MBA at all.
I guess my advice is, then, make
sure that you have a very clear
idea of why you should get an MBA
now and why you want to go to
Darden. I bet a lot of interviewees
make the mistake of getting
defensive when faced with this
type of "grilling," so make sure you
practice your responses and be
prepared to keep your cool under
unexpected cross-examination.

Thanks icandy! This is a very helpful response. I feel better knowing that it will be tough going in. I will prepare accordingly.

I hope I haven't made you more nervous. Really, I think that having this information will help you to be prepared going in (I know it would have helped me). The alternative would be to have to deal with it unexpectedly on the spot, which could be disastrous (and is probably why they do it :-P).

Also, I should mention that when I interviewed, there was a tour and an informal meeting with current students before my interview (just a bunch of current students and interviewees sitting around in the admissions office lobby). Both of those were great experiences. The students were very helpful and down-to-earth, and the campus is one of the most beautiful I've ever seen. Oh, but make sure you save some questions for the interview (or at least re-ask the ones you asked the students)!

Good luck!

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Congrats... to all of you guys... I know that everyone put on a lot of work into the process... now news on my end... oh.. Tuck where are those... letters.... I need closure... I feel like Romeo with puty Juliet...

HBS, Darden, Tuck and NYU...

Case2010.... congrats... we have struggle together, and I am glade you got in...

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
Send PM
ibrokeit007 wrote:
Case2010.... congrats... we have struggled together, and I am glad you got in...

ibrokeit007, good to have you back!! Thanks, my package arrived today. So now I am sure that it's real :lol: I hope you hear something soon. You do deserve an admit too. We all worked our behinds off...
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Management, Strategy, Finance
Schools:CBS, HBS, NYU, Wharton
GMAT 2: 710
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
Hey Everyone! I'm new, but I've been lurking and have posted on BW forums.

I received an admit packet from NYU with a partial merit scholarship about 1.5 weeks ago. During the most recent Stern Perspectives Weekend, however, I was asked to apply to the Consortium as well. After having been admitted, I received a welcome e-mail from the Dean to all Consortium students AND an e-mail from the Consortium referring to me as the "Class of 2012". I have NOT, however, received any direct e-mails or mailings congratulating me on being accepted into CGSM or about the fellowship in particular. Honestly, its all confusing because I was not a traditional on-line application. I was a "school referred applicant" and I applied via Fax. Can anyone's experiences shed light on what's going on? Am I in CGSM? Did I not get the fellowship? Will I get something in the mail?!

Thanks everyone! FYI, I'm still waiting to hear back from Columbia too. Applied 12/22, Interviewed 1/25.
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: Alpha Phi Omega, Golden Key, Phi Kappa Phi
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: Product Development, Marketing, General Management in High Tech, (New) Media, Computer Entertainment
Schools:Ross (CGSM), Maryland, Columbia, CGSM: Stern, Darden, Cornell
 Q49  V41
GPA: 3.89
WE 1: Software/Product Dev (3 yrs)
WE 2: Patent Drafting/Prosecution (1 yr)
Send PM
theemanunknown wrote:
Hey Everyone! I'm new, but I've been lurking and have posted on BW forums.

I received an admit packet from NYU with a partial merit scholarship about 1.5 weeks ago. During the most recent Stern Perspectives Weekend, however, I was asked to apply to the Consortium as well. After having been admitted, I received a welcome e-mail from the Dean to all Consortium students AND an e-mail from the Consortium referring to me as the "Class of 2012". I have NOT, however, received any direct e-mails or mailings congratulating me on being accepted into CGSM or about the fellowship in particular. Honestly, its all confusing because I was not a traditional on-line application. I was a "school referred applicant" and I applied via Fax. Can anyone's experiences shed light on what's going on? Am I in CGSM? Did I not get the fellowship? Will I get something in the mail?!

Thanks everyone! FYI, I'm still waiting to hear back from Columbia too. Applied 12/22, Interviewed 1/25.

I would call CGSM tomorrow and ask (in my experience, they have been very responsive to phone calls). Their number is (888) 658-6814 (or locally, (314) 877-5500). Good luck!
Intern
Intern
Schools:Kellogg (waitlist), Ross, Stern, Tuck (waitlist)
Send PM
Is anyone deciding between attending Ross with CSGM fellowship and Stern? If so, what are your deciding factors in pushing you toward one school or the other?
Manager
Manager
 Q42  V39
Send PM
snowrider1234 wrote:
Is anyone deciding between attending Ross with CSGM fellowship and Stern? If so, what are your deciding factors in pushing you toward one school or the other?

Sorta yes. I ranked Stern higher but Ross offered the fellowship. Honestly, Stern is the most expensive school, on my list, to attend when you look at total cost of attendance. I was nervous being able to afford NYU with a fellowship because my career path is not the most lucrative as the stereotypical NYU Investment Bank types.

I'm about 95% given up on Stern for my other options, all of which offered full or significant scholarships compared to none from Stern. My rationale was that I could actually afford my career path and if I need to, I'll take trips to NYC every few weeks for networking and recruiting, if I need to, for a heck of a lot less than the cost of attending Stern and having it be down the street.

Each person's situation is different, but the biggest thing I hear from recent grads is that loan debt is painful if you're taking the full cost. Personally, if I can avoid it, I'd rather pay the price of a really nice car (cost of living) v. the cost of buying a house (tuition + cost of living).
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Management, Strategy, Finance
Schools:CBS, HBS, NYU, Wharton
GMAT 2: 710
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
I called the Consortium. My Consortium package is in the mail, and I should be receiving it this week. Does package = fellowship? Probably not, right? They wouldn't tell me over the phone, but I figure all school accepted applicants get a CGSM welcome package, and some of them will include fellowships. Any ideas?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
theemanunknown wrote:
I called the Consortium. My Consortium package is in the mail, and I should be receiving it this week. Does package = fellowship? Probably not, right? They wouldn't tell me over the phone, but I figure all school accepted applicants get a CGSM welcome package, and some of them will include fellowships. Any ideas?

Your package should have the exact details of what you are offered. So when you receive it, you'd be certain. If however, you are itching to know ASAP, call Stern and ask them what they offered you: membership/membership+fellowship. All in all though, you are the first "school referred applicant" post-acceptance that I've heard of, so I'd say you are in a good spot, whatever the offer...
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: Alpha Phi Omega, Golden Key, Phi Kappa Phi
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: Product Development, Marketing, General Management in High Tech, (New) Media, Computer Entertainment
Schools:Ross (CGSM), Maryland, Columbia, CGSM: Stern, Darden, Cornell
 Q49  V41
GPA: 3.89
WE 1: Software/Product Dev (3 yrs)
WE 2: Patent Drafting/Prosecution (1 yr)
Send PM
snowrider1234 wrote:

drmang7 and I are both also facing the same decision.

Personally, I've found this to be a really tough decision. Stern was my first-ranked Consortium school, while Ross was my second. I could go on and on about this, but I'll try to keep it brief here (if you'd like more details, please PM me). A few of the things that attract me to Stern are:
its Entertainment, Media, and Technology specialization - broadly, I am interested in working in a combination of these fields when I graduate, and the specialized electives offered by Stern initially got me very excited about the program and eventually played a big part in my decision to apply;
the people/personal fit - I absolutely loved my experience at the Stern Perspectives weekend, and found the fit to be great. The sample class and my interactions with current and prospective students left me feeling like I belong at Stern; and
the location - I have always wanted to live in NYC, and the opportunity to try it out for two years while I am still relatively young (and while a ton of my friends are living there) was a big draw.

As for Ross, I've felt that academically, they would provide me with broader knowledge that, in the end, could be just as useful as the specialized learning that NYU offers. I've considered the fact that Stern has many alumni who are in those industries, but so does Ross (Ross has so many alumni, it's hard to find an industry where they are not represented). All of my personal experiences with Ross alumni, staff, and prospectives (and even non-Ross alumni of Michigan) have been more than spectacular. I actually met a guy at a concert who was wearing a Michigan jacket and the next thing I knew, he had put me in touch with a couple of Ross alumni. That being said, I haven't visited Ann Arbor yet. I am going to wait until I go there in person to make a "personal fit" judgment, but all indications are that it will be a good fit. Though I've always wanted to live in NYC, I've lived near East Coast cities all of my life, and while I consider myself an east coast guy, I think I could probably benefit from living in a new (potentially less stressful) place.

In terms of the fellowship, what theoutlawfades says fits with what I have heard from current and graduated students (at any school). That is, not having debt (or having little debt) on one's way out of B-school is a huge advantage. Not only does it free you from the financial obligations of paying $160K back, but it also gives you the freedom to pursue exciting job opportunities that may not pay as much. Plus, you won't have that financial liability when trying to buy a house or a car or start a new business. I figure a decent number of MBA students would like to start their own business on the way out of B-school, so not having as much debt would really help to make that a reality.

In the end, Ross has an answer for almost every argument I can make for NYU. For me, the academic experience is the only "big" difference, and while Stern offers more specialized learning, Ross offers renowned broad wholistic learning. To be honest, when I first began my application process, I had ranked Ross first, but by the time I finished, I had been sold on Stern's specialized learning, and ranked them first instead. If they were both the same price, I'd probably be choosing Stern, but when I ask myself if the Stern's specialized learning is worth paying so much more money (both in terms of tuition/fees and cost of living difference)...let's just say I'm having trouble convincing myself that it is.

Since I know I love being at Stern but have yet to visit Ross, my experience at Go Blue Rendezvous will play a big part in my final decision.

I guess I ended up saying a lot anyway :oops: (though, I still feel like I could go on for pages, so please PM me if anyone would like to discuss more).
Manager
Manager
 Q42  V39
Send PM
idcandy wrote:
snowrider1234 wrote:

drmang7 and I are both also facing the same decision.

In the end, Ross has an answer for almost every argument I can make for NYU. For me, the academic experience is the only "big" difference, and while Stern offers more specialized learning, Ross offers renowned broad wholistic learning. To be honest, when I first began my application process, I had ranked Ross first, but by the time I finished, I had been sold on Stern's specialized learning, and ranked them first instead. If they were both the same price, I'd probably be choosing Stern, but when I ask myself if the Stern's specialized learning is worth paying so much more money (both in terms of tuition/fees and cost of living difference)...let's just say I'm having trouble convincing myself that it is.

Completely agree with you. I feel the exact same way. I even started with NYU at #1 but after visiting Ross, it shot up in my book to compete for that top spot.
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  33   34   35   36   37   38   39  ...  45