Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 22:05 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 22:05

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 427 [4]
Given Kudos: 52
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Schools: UNC (Kenan-Flagler) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
WE:Programming (Computer Software)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [22]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 427 [0]
Given Kudos: 52
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Schools: UNC (Kenan-Flagler) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
WE:Programming (Computer Software)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: Beta Gamma Sigma, Omicron Delta Epsilon, Toastmasters Intl, HHonors
Own Kudos [?]: 59 [0]
Given Kudos: 27
Concentration: Finance, Economics, Accounting
GPA: 4.0 UG and 3.6 MSA
Send PM
Re: Anyone taken the 800 score CATs? [#permalink]
Thanks lex21 -- kudos for some great advice. Will have to bookmark...
SVP
SVP
Status:<strong>Nothing comes easy: neither do I want.</strong>
Own Kudos [?]: 3593 [2]
Given Kudos: 235
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
Schools: ISB '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 670 Q49 V31
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V35
Send PM
Kudos
800 quant is very good for concept practice. Questions were good but some of them were lengthy and wont be asked on gmat.

If you have spare time you can use them. but be close to Mgmat tests and closer to gmatprep near your exam.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 352 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
I've read quite many reviews that Kaplan 800 is not a good book.
Retired Thread Master
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [0]
Given Kudos: 33
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 700 Q51 V32
GPA: 3
Send PM
nonameee wrote:
I've read quite many reviews that Kaplan 800 is not a good book.

from what i have read, kaplan 800 doesn't have the 700level questions one looks for when he/she buys this book
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 352 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
Any opinions about the verbal part of the book? I know that quant is easy. But what about verbal?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General Management, International Business
Schools: Dartmouth (Tuck) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 730 Q44 V47
GPA: 3.56
WE:Performing Arts (Entertainment and Sports)
Send PM
I used 800 score because of the MGMAT discount. I ended up with exactly the same overall score on the last 3 practice tests and on the actual GMAT...pretty accurate in my case I guess.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 590 Q36 V35
GMAT 2: 690 Q47 V38
GMAT 3: 740 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.42
WE:Business Development (Commercial Banking)
Send PM
Based on what I've read here, it sounds as though the 800score tests are worth $20. Is there a deal that rivals it? (I have Kaplan's, MGMATs, GMAT Preps available to me, too).
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [3]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Kudos
I just took my first 800 score test. I scored a 650 53% quant and 89% on verbal. My last MGMAT was 56% quant and 34% verbal for a 550. I thought the quant was hard and had very long drawn out calculations. The verbal i thought i bombed, the CR questions were very wordy and tricky. Going through the verbal at the end, i felt like i got lucky with my score especially since i had to guess and move on on a lot of questions. Found it very different from the MGMAT tests. Dont like the way that they show you your math score before you go into the verbal. Its not a great simulation of the real thing.

Do MGMAT over 800 score for sure. I wil do the mba.com ones next to get a real idea where i am. I think my real score now is around 600.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [0]
Given Kudos: 39
Send PM
Hey,

I have been taking 800Score tests from past few days.
The exam pack was part of my eGMAT verbal online purchase.

I am bit worried about the algorithm that 800Score uses to tune the score. Recently I took few 800Score practice tests. and what I observed in the last test is - On completion of the test, I was prompted with a score Q44 V37, but as I returned to the homepage, the scores got changed Q42 V40.

Quant - Questions level is a mix. I did get some decent quant problems.
Verbal - I think the score is a bit tough to understand. 28 correct responses yielded V40. But, the same number of correct responses yielded V30 in first test of GMATPrep Exam Pack1.

I want to know which practice tests and hence score should I trust and feel confident about.

If anyone thinks can help here, please respond.

Thanks
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [3]
Given Kudos: 16
Send PM
Kudos
honey86 wrote:
Hey,

I have been taking 800Score tests from past few days.
The exam pack was part of my eGMAT verbal online purchase.

I am bit worried about the algorithm that 800Score uses to tune the score. Recently I took few 800Score practice tests. and what I observed in the last test is - On completion of the test, I was prompted with a score Q44 V37, but as I returned to the homepage, the scores got changed Q42 V40.

Quant - Questions level is a mix. I did get some decent quant problems.
Verbal - I think the score is a bit tough to understand. 28 correct responses yielded V40. But, the same number of correct responses yielded V30 in first test of GMATPrep Exam Pack1.

I want to know which practice tests and hence score should I trust and feel confident about.

If anyone thinks can help here, please respond.

Thanks

Undoubtedly, You should trust GMATprep as it is the best indicator of your real score.However, It doesn`t matter how many correct answers you had in the both exams, it matters how they distributed throughout the exams.

I got 28 correct answers in verbal part of 800score as well but my section score was 34.All practice exams can help us to determine our weak points and work on them in addition to learn how to manage answering the questions during the exam.

So, in my point of view, don`t be sensitive about your scores at this time and just focus on your exam analyze and put your maximum effort into eliminating your weak points.

According to my own experience, all CAT exams such as: Manhattan,800score,Kaplan, and ... have different score algorithms and type of questions.For example in Manhattan CATs I faced 4 RC passages which all had 3 questions, in 800score I encountered 2 RC passages with 4 questions and other 2 RC passages with 3 questions result in 14 questions in comparison with 12 questions in those of Manhattan.

Good Luck,

PS: If you`ve found my comment useful, giving Kudos is the best ways to say Thank you :o :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 115 [0]
Given Kudos: 23
Send PM
I just took the quant section of one of their tests and scored a 45 (29/37 correct), finishing with about 8 minutes to spare. Compared to MGMAT's CATs, I found 800score to be more computationally intensive - I don't think it's that representative of the real GMAT though it might be worth doing just as a quick review. There were a number of problems that made me stop and think, but most were pretty straightforward. So, I wouldn't prioritize taking this, but it's not a waste of time.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 38 [1]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
Schools: Duke '17 (M)
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V38
Send PM
Kudos
I just took a couple of the 800Score tests. On the first one I got a Q40 because I messed up on the first question... On the last one I got Q46 with 30/37 correct. I only missed 1 in the first 14 (#9), which on any other CAT will generally yield a pretty good Quant score. I have been getting Q50 or 51 on GMATPrep and Veritas tests and a Q49 on my actual GMAT so I would not worry about their scoring. So far, I think they are great practice because very few of the questions have been posted on GMATClub. Just use them for additional practice and take the score with a grain of salt.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
GPA: 3.96
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Kudos
I think the tests are pretty decent. Although not an exact indicator of your ability.

RCs are tough to read but with straight forward answers.

CR is little weird and tricky, I don't think they are GMAT like.

SC is decent.

Quant I haven't tried, and I am not planning to try either.

IR is good for practice.

Hope this helps.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 3155 [2]
Given Kudos: 322
Concentration: General Management, General Management
GMAT 1: 630 Q47 V29
GMAT 2: 680 Q50 V32
GPA: 3.7
WE:Information Technology (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Kudos
I think 800score offers a opportunity to work on quant skills.

And CR questions and RC passages are too difficult. However, SC is on a lighter side with sentences not too long or difficult to understand.

I am not sure about scoring algo since I got 27/37 correct in quant and I got Q42/60.

Same applies to VERBAL , I got 30/41 correct and got the score of V33/60.

However, knowing above, I have become a fan of these tests since they boil you down on tough RC's and CR's.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [0]
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
bekerman wrote:
I just took the quant section of one of their tests and scored a 45 (29/37 correct), finishing with about 8 minutes to spare. Compared to MGMAT's CATs, I found 800score to be more computationally intensive - I don't think it's that representative of the real GMAT though it might be worth doing just as a quick review. There were a number of problems that made me stop and think, but most were pretty straightforward. So, I wouldn't prioritize taking this, but it's not a waste of time.

I think there sample test is rubbish, i have given , gmat prep and kaplan test and i scored a Q 49 and Q 50, in fact i gave the real GMAT in 2012 and i scored a Q49 even then. Now I gave this sample test and i got a Q46 despite of the fact I had 30 out of 37 correct, the first incorrect answer was at question number 18.

I think they just want to scare us into buying there tests. Utter rubbish. I would much rather go with MGMAT or after that buy more GMAC tests and and then even kaplan but not these.

Chetan
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [0]
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
DLEmba wrote:
I just took a couple of the 800Score tests. On the first one I got a Q40 because I messed up on the first question... On the last one I got Q46 with 30/37 correct. I only missed 1 in the first 14 (#9), which on any other CAT will generally yield a pretty good Quant score. I have been getting Q50 or 51 on GMATPrep and Veritas tests and a Q49 on my actual GMAT so I would not worry about their scoring. So far, I think they are great practice because very few of the questions have been posted on GMATClub. Just use them for additional practice and take the score with a grain of salt.

Dlemba, I got a q46 and my first wrong question was the 18th question !!! . total was 30/37 . Trying these tests close to your actual tests can be a moral breaker.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [3]
Given Kudos: 17
GMAT 1: 680 Q50 V31
Send PM
Kudos
I have taken 2 800 score Quant tests and 3 Verbal tests. Here are my scores.

Q1: 49
Q2: 49
V1: 31
V2: 32
V3: 32

The quant level was good and followed MGMAT pattern but I didn't find the verbal section's testing strategy similar to that of MGMAT's. Verbal tests were somewhat off from the actual GMAT test that I gave recently. In all the 3 tests I saw more SC questions (16-17) than usual. The RC level was OK but the CR section was again somewhat off than the actual GMAT CR.
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2