Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 08:26 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 08:26

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
GPA: 3
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Finance
 Q48  V35
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Schools:Kellog(R3),Olin (R3),Owen (R4),Tepper(R3),Johnson (R4)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: Calling All Fall 2010 Washington U. (Olin) Applicants! [#permalink]
GrantChap wrote:
Just finished my interview. Don't think it went so well. I led a large client meeting for 2 hours prior to my call and only had 5 minutes in between. I suggest everyone take more than that to calm the nerves. Though the interviewer was very easy to talk to, my 25 minute call had a lot of questions. For those of you yet to interview, here are the questions I was asked. (I think i forgot a couple of them)

1. Basically give me your Sales pitch for yourself.
2. Why Olin?
3. What type of Leader are you?
4. What are your strengths?
5. What are your weaknesses?
6. Short and Long term goals after graduation?
7. What do you read?
8. Tell me about a current business issue you are following?
9. Tell me about a time when you had to go against the consensus?
10. What questions do you have for me?

GrantChap, did you mention that you just got out of a meeting? They should certainly take that into consideration. When do you expect to hear back from them?
Current Student
Send PM
So apparently it didnt go that bad. I just got a call from Evan that IM IN. This totally caught me off guard as I didnt expect to hear back from them for a while. Good luck to everyone else applying. My acceptance debunks a couple myths.

1. Nobody gets admitted to top schools in R3

2. A low GPA (2.8) kills you

3. A super high GMAT is required to overcome that said GPA (690)

Originally posted by GrantChap on 26 Mar 2010, 07:15.
Last edited by GrantChap on 26 Mar 2010, 10:23, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Congrats GrantChap. I have to say though, 690 is pretty dang high. Are you going to Olin?

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Schools:Washington University (Olin)
 Q49  V44
Send PM
I haven't been on this forum for awhile and saw a topic related to excel skills taught at Olin. There was a question as far as if Olin has any classes around excel.

As a first year MBA, as classes begin, there are 5 optional sessions of basic excel skills class that will cover a lot of what you will need in the first semester. I had a decent amount of excel experience before starting my MBA at Olin so I didn't take any of the classes. In addition to that, some of the courses, such as statistics or data analysis courses will cover specific excel tools and functions that are essential to those classes.

I'm currently taking a business modeling class that uses excel everyday along with some add-in's such as Crystal Ball, Premium Solver, and OptQuest. Long story short, there may not be a specific class in the course listing that covers excel exclusively, but you'll have the opportunity to really improve your excel skills.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
Hi mbasappy,
Thanks for your post on the Excel. Would you mind sharing your thoughts on the recruiting and career opportunities at Olin. I consistently hear that due to its small size not a lot of companies make it down there to recruit.

Thanks
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi all, I'm new to this forum. I interviewed last Tuesday and haven't heard back yet. Did people receive decisions within a few days?
Current Student
Send PM
rbk wrote:
Hi all, I'm new to this forum. I interviewed last Tuesday and haven't heard back yet. Did people receive decisions within a few days?

Yes, I submitted March 1, interviewed March 23, and received my admit call March 26. I was a little shocked to get such a quick turnaround. I now have until May 1 to make my deposit.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thanks Grantchap. Did you receive a scholarship?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Pretty good ranking for Olin at #19. Confirms that the school is certainly movin on up. Also, I found it very interesting, in light of our earlier conversation, that the Olin Part Time MBA was ranked #10 in US News. I realize rankings aren't everything, but that certainly is one good indicator that the part time program is not tarnishing the school's FT reputation...

Did anyone go to the admitted students weekend? If so, please share...
Intern
Intern
 Q50  V34
GPA: 3.6
WE 1: 5 years
Send PM
Evergreen10 wrote:
Pretty good ranking for Olin at #19. Confirms that the school is certainly movin on up. Also, I found it very interesting, in light of our earlier conversation, that the Olin Part Time MBA was ranked #10 in US News. I realize rankings aren't everything, but that certainly is one good indicator that the part time program is not tarnishing the school's FT reputation...

Did anyone go to the admitted students weekend? If so, please share...

Good one......I read it somewhere that ranking definetely sometimes attract positive consideration from prospective employers. Some employers believe that higher the ranking is, tougher it is to get an admit and this practice usually accumulate cream at top. For the same reason they adopt top to bottom ranking approach for their recruitment needs. This improvement in ranking will definetely place Olin as recruitment destination for some employers. Anyhow breaking Top 20 mark itself is an achievement............

Also, FT Global MBA ranking showed a significat movement
FT Global MBA ranking - 49 (2010), 60 (2009) and 69 (2008) -

Enjoy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
 Q48  V35
Send PM
Congrats Olin admits! Certainly its a great accomplishment in breaking the top 20 schools in the US and top 50 schools worldwide :-D
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Crickets.

Did anyone go to the admitted students weekend?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
I went to the Admit Weekend. I had a great time and walked away more impressed than ever. They had many speaking panels, a mock case-based class, and several social events. For me, by far, the best presentation came from the faculty panel. Clearly, the professors love the school and their students and were very smart, funny and engaging.

Speaking briefly about the career services presentation, I thought it was interesting that they recently reorganized the office there. Now, they have a dedicated professional for each popular career market who has many years of experience in that field. For example, they have a financial services professional who worked in real estate for 10 years; they have a marketing professional who worked at Anheuser-Busch for years in the marketing department; and on and on... (don't quote me on those exact people - but that was the basic idea of the set-up). The new organization made sense to me and the staff seemed energized and ready to help. Made me feel better about their career services reputation...

The other admitted students were a mixed bag, just as it is in any MBA program. In general, the people I met were very nice, very smart, and interested in getting to know one another. One thing that stood out to me was that there seemed to be a lot of people who had a connection to St. Louis - either they grew up there or had family there. Obviously, this could have been a bias because it was easiest for them to make the trip for the weekend!

Unfortunately, despite my wonderful impression of Olin and the school, I did reject the offer of admission this past week. I was recently accepted to the University of Chicago's evening program, and will be attending there instead.

Best wishes to all you future Olin students out there - I have no doubt your experience there will be exceptional! And congrats on the recent ranking climb into the top 20!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Does anyone know what date the fall semester starts at Olin?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [1]
Given Kudos: 2
 Q45  V41
Send PM
Kudos
The program starts on August 9th for domestic students (maybe a week earlier for int'l).
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 26 [0]
Send PM
nice prof.! goof luck
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72867 [0]
Given Kudos: 18857
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
Send PM
Expert Reply
Archived 'Calling All Olin Applicants' Topic
Hi there,
You've reached an old 'Calling All Olin Applicants' discussion which is now outdated and has been archived. No more replies are possible here.
Looking for the latest discussion? Check out this up-to-date Calling All Olin Applicants Discussion for the most recent conversations on this topic.
Interested in more from this school? Visit our dedicated Olin Forum to dive into all things related to Olin's MBA program.
Thank you for understanding, and happy exploring!
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8 
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts