Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 13:37 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 13:37

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Schools:Stanford, Haas, Stern
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: Alpha Phi Omega, Golden Key, Phi Kappa Phi
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: Product Development, Marketing, General Management in High Tech, (New) Media, Computer Entertainment
Schools:Ross (CGSM), Maryland, Columbia, CGSM: Stern, Darden, Cornell
 Q49  V41
GPA: 3.89
WE 1: Software/Product Dev (3 yrs)
WE 2: Patent Drafting/Prosecution (1 yr)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Strategic Management/Corp Innovation:Healthcare/Biotech/Pharma
Schools:Indiana Kelley/Class of 2012/Full tuition $$
WE 1: Healthcare/Biomedical Research
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Re: Calling all Fall 2010 Consortium Applicants (merged) [#permalink]
:lol: "Heck, some people are not comfortable sharing a room with a good friend" So true. But for real tho, OP is a great opportunity to get started before you start school. In addition the membership benefits, free travel and lodging, spectacular location etc...etc (idcandy, you should at least glance thru your manual :lol: ), the crux for me is the opportunity to start networking with top-tier recruiters AND classmates even before starting school. My Hoosier host at Kelley got an internship offer at his OP! Imagine how much relief that would be during these times. Of course, you can (and I think, should -to hone your skills--) also compete with other students for internships (he did) at your school but you come in at least a step ahead. But even if there was no OP, I dont know about you guys, but the opportunity of getting a full ride at C-schools (Ultra Elite, Elite and Near Elite: all top tier) is by itself very generous.

username123 wrote:
sorry if this question has already been answered, but this thread is 38 pages long and i didn't have time to search the whole thing. am i eligible to apply through the consortium if i am female, but not one of those underrepresented minority groups? i tried looking on their website, but it was really vague about who qualifies.

username123, as others have noted, you should apply and put forth your best foot (When I started my app process, I did not fully realize the strength of my experiences/WE etc --especially as a career changer-- but when I started to put everyting together, it turned out impressive). I know of at least one person on this thread: JoeMahmah who is also non-URM. Why not reach out to him? Or just send him a shout-out :-D

Originally posted by Case2010 on 26 Mar 2010, 09:24.
Last edited by Case2010 on 26 Mar 2010, 12:22, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
ibrokeit007 wrote:
Waiting on NYU, Darden, Tuck, and HBS!!!

My hair is becoming gray from the wait, i have grown a bear, and feel like Scrooge McDuck, during his thinking walks...Remember the money bin, and his walks around the Auguste Rodin's thinking man aka Dante. Well you get the picture. But congrats to everyone else that is finally in.

Quite a descriptive write huh? :lol: Hang in there bro (given you "beard" comment above, I so hope you are not a lady :lol: ) They will all fall in place...just a little while longer...
Manager
Manager
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hey Case2010,

Yes...

I am a Bro, i am assuming you are a Bro as well...

I was glade to when i learn that you finally received the invite a few weeks ago. I have been keeping away not wanting add to my stress.

So far no news today, i was hoping to get some news today. I check my Darden status and it seems that i am now being consider with round three candidates.

Oh well... I guess i have a few more months to go now.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Turns out I was waitlisted at Duke Fuqua, R2. I thought it was a ding. I didn't read the whole thing beyond where it said "...As a result of the tremendous competition for the Class of 2012, we are unable to offer you a final decision at this time,...."

Only after I received a letter in the mail this week asking whether I was still interested in the waitlist thingy did I read the rest of it ".... and your application has been placed on our waitlist."

Interesting, Fuqua,...interesting.... :lol:

ibrokeit007 wrote:
Hey Case2010,

Yes... I am a Bro, i am assuming you are a Bro as well...

So far no news today, i was hoping to get some news today. I check my Darden status and it seems that i am now being consider with round three candidates

Oh yeah, a bro/dude/knuckehead here too :lol:

Well, being considered at Darden sounds like a good thing though, no? Are you doing any Round 3 as back up/plan B?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
JoeMahmah was banned for posting a link to the business week forum on the Kellogg thread, but he's back in a new avatar ;) . To username123, yes non-URMs that demonstrate a commitment to the Consortium's mission should definitely apply. I am an Indian American, but of mixed ethnicity. I never thought I would apply to the Consortium until another Consortium applicant suggested I apply because he was familiar with my story and charity work in Watts and East Palo Alto. As long as you have conviction in your story, I would suggest you apply. I didn't get a fellowship, but am content just being a member. I actually really do care about the Consortium's mission. You will know deep down if you should apply. Best of luck. I have turned down McCombs for NYU or LBS. Just not sure where to go.

Originally posted by JoeMa on 26 Mar 2010, 14:56.
Last edited by JoeMa on 26 Mar 2010, 21:45, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
mbaTime wrote:
Any waitlisted people here ... I think I may be the only one on this forum waitlisted at CGSM schools.

I was waitlisted at Simon, which I haven't heard anyone on this forum talk about. I'm most likely heading to Texas A&M, so all is not lost. It would have been nice to be part of the Consortium though. Congrats to everyone!
Manager
Manager
Send PM
JoeMa wrote:
JoeMahmah was banned for posting a link to the business week forum on the Kellogg thread, but he's back in a new avatar ;)

:lol: JoeMa, how where you notified of the "ban"? I think I am partially banned :P . I noticed earlier today that when I try to search previous posts, get a "Sorry but you are not permitted to use the search system" response. Glad to have you back. I was beginning to wonder where you've been at...Different name, same attitude huh :wink:
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Product Development, Marketing, General Management in High Tech, (New) Media, Computer Entertainment
 Q49  V41
Send PM
Case2010 wrote:
I think I am partially banned :P . I noticed earlier today that when I try to search previous posts, get a "Sorry but you are not permitted to use the search system" response.

It's not just you, Case2010. That feature was temporarily deactivated to alleviate server load. I expect it to be back after admissions notices start to slow down again (see the unable to search user's messages thread).
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Haha, Case2010, I just was no longer able to log into my account (it was inactive). I then emailed the admins, who said I had been banned. Can't nobody hold me down, as the esteemed entrepreneur Sean Combs once said. haha

Case2010 wrote:
JoeMa wrote:
JoeMahmah was banned for posting a link to the business week forum on the Kellogg thread, but he's back in a new avatar ;)

:lol: JoeMa, how where you notified of the "ban"? I think I am partially banned :P . I noticed earlier today that when I try to search previous posts, get a "Sorry but you are not permitted to use the search system" response. Glad to have you back. I was beginning to wonder where you've been at...Different name, same attitude huh :wink:
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: USMC
Own Kudos [?]: 26 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Schools:Darden '12
Send PM
Count me in as a non-URM who got in at Darden, but no fellowship.

Although I got accepted into Darden, I still have my concerns about applying via the CGSM route and if I had to do it over again, I wouldn't. This isn't because I'm discouraging non-URMs who have shown a distinct commitment to the CGSM mission, its more of a warning for a non-URM that is also a non-traditional candidate. because my background is a little more spread out than most applicants (12 years WE, in 4 diff industries), it was extremely difficult to condense and write something compelling in the limited CGSM essay format. Without the "try to get to know you" essay topics like, "tell me about a time you led people" or "tell me about a difficult decision", etc, writing only the standard "tell me your work history" and "why XYZ MBA program", made it very difficult as a non-traditional applicant to write these essays and show a genuine and compelling picture of myself. yes, there is the CGSM mission oriented essay prompt, but unless the CGSM mission has been a focal point in your career, a non-URM+nontraditional candidate may have a difficult time telling "the whole story" because you're too busy "proving" yourself to the CGSM rather than telling them about your passions and motivations.

just food for thought.

(*also, this post is probably a better fit for the 2011 CGSM thread)
Intern
Intern
Send PM
So, this may be a question I should know from the CGSM site, but I'm still a little unclear: does the consortium fellowship pay just for tuition, or tuition AND the estimated cost of attendance for your program (i.e. - room and board if on campus, health insurance, etc)? Thanks.
Manager
Manager
 Q49  V41
Send PM
Spring10 wrote:
So, this may be a question I should know from the CGSM site, but I'm still a little unclear: does the consortium fellowship pay just for tuition, or tuition AND the estimated cost of attendance for your program (i.e. - room and board if on campus, health insurance, etc)? Thanks.
The Consortium Fellowship covers "tuition and fees," which is a very sweet deal. That does not include, however, room and board, health insurance, books, etc. To cover those costs, you can a) pay out of pocket, b) take out one or more loans, c) apply for additional grants or scholarships (through your school or external programs), d) complete a work-study program such as a graduate assitantship, or e) any combination of the above.

For example, if your school estimates total annual cost of attendance to be about $70k with $50k of that being tuition and fees (and the rest being room and board, etc.), the Consortium Fellowship will cover $100k of that over two years while you will be responsible for $40k. Thus, the Consortium Fellowship siginificantly reduces the "financial burden" of receiving an MBA from a great program, but does not eliminate it entirely.

Please note that I am not a financial aid officer, but rather a Fall 2010 applicant. To get a more definitive answer on what options are available to cover the cost of living, etc. expenses, you should contact financial aid officers at the program(s) that you are interested in attending.

Best of luck to you!
Manager
Manager
Send PM
idcandy wrote:
Spring10 wrote:
The Consortium Fellowship covers "tuition and fees," which is a very sweet deal. That does not include, however, room and board, health insurance, books, etc. To cover those costs, you can a) pay out of pocket, b) take out one or more loans, c) apply for additional grants or scholarships (through your school or external programs), d) complete a work-study program such as a graduate assitantship, or e) any combination of the above.

For example, if your school estimates total annual cost of attendance to be about $70k with $50k of that being tuition and fees (and the rest being room and board, etc.), the Consortium Fellowship will cover $100k of that over two years while you will be responsible for $40k. Thus, the Consortium Fellowship siginificantly reduces the "financial burden" of receiving an MBA from a great program, but does not eliminate it entirely.

Please note that I am not a financial aid officer, but rather a Fall 2010 applicant. To get a more definitive answer on what options are available to cover the cost of living, etc. expenses, you should contact financial aid officers at the program(s) that you are interested in attending.

Best of luck to you!

A loud shout out to idcandy, our resident guru :-D Your explanations -- always detailed -- comes in handy at all times. You explanation here is perfect and accurate. I got an e-mail Thursday from the director of the Kelley MBA financial aid office that pretty much said what you said.

One point of note to all: pay attention to your school estimate. Part of my e-mail read "Please note that this (the school estimate) is an average MBA student budget; it was developed by the Office of Student Financial Aid and may not accommodate individual preferences or lifestyle choices. Your actual costs may be higher or lower than the budget listed above. Financial aid of any kind is only available up to the University’s student budget. If your costs exceed the budget, you will need to come to school with savings to accommodate those expenses, or be prepared to sacrifice some items in your budget."
Manager
Manager
 Q49  V41
Send PM
Thank you, Case2010! I'm glad I've been able to contribute to this great community - easily the most helpful and cohesive forum I've ever used.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thanks idcandy and Case2010! Extremely helpful explanations.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 61 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Concentration: Finance & Entreprenuerial Management
Schools:Wharton Class of 2012 w/ fellowship
GPA: 3.4 - Top 5 UG
Send PM
do schools reallocate turned down fellowships? like everyone else, i'm really surprised about the low number of fellowships coming from stern, both between here and in my personal network, i only know of two people being offered the fellowship, one i am certain will get into HBS and therefore turn it down. it just seems like many of the people who really want to attend stern were not offered the fellowship or any other compensation.

in any case, i wanted to wish everyone good luck at OP (I definitely wouldn't complain about sharing a room, although I guess I've never had hangups about that) I'm sad that I will miss this networking opportunity with peers (especially my minority peers across various schools) and companies, hopefully we will cross paths during our internships, at NBMBAA/NSHMBA, various conferences, or other cross-school events.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Hey Guys,

for roll call purpose:

Ding at Tuck, and Yale

Waiting on HBS and NYU...

I logged in to Tuck's site, because Tuck's admin had been super quiet, and found out that i was denied... Bummer...

Case2010 keep on crossing those finger for me... otherwise you will be writing my essays next fall... ;-)
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  34   35   36   37   38   39   40   41   42  ...  45