Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 00:31 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 00:31

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: USMC
Own Kudos [?]: 26 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Schools:Darden '12
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Finance,General Management
Schools:Ross (R1-Admit)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: USMC
Own Kudos [?]: 26 [1]
Given Kudos: 22
Schools:Darden '12
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1264 [0]
Given Kudos: 32
Send PM
Re: LBS 2010 Waitlist Thread [#permalink]
Anyone knows how does the WL system work?

1. R2 WL review on 14 May and R3 admission decision on 20 May - Does this mean that R2 WL are thrown into the R3 pool as well?

2. Will a WL be offered a place once any admitted candidate from the same Round withdraw his or her offer?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1264 [0]
Given Kudos: 32
Send PM
lakai777 wrote:
i have no idea what the answers to those questions are. quite frankly, this is the reason why i started it, so we can all do a gigantic brainstorm together.

i'm not sure what calling would achieve. however, if you wanted to have another recommendation sent in, I would call to ask who to send it in to.

but the question is, what would another recommendation serve? the way i see it, unless you have an LBS alumni who writes it, I'm not really sure what another rec would add.

agree, an alum reco would be really helpful...
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Schools:Oxford'11
Send PM
lakai777 wrote:
i'm not sure what calling would achieve. however, if you wanted to have another recommendation sent in, I would call to ask who to send it in to.

hi lakai, thanks for starting the thread. I will surely contract my recommended, tell him about my status and hopefully he will put a good word if he will be asked again.
LBS specific message was: "We do not require you to send any extra information unless we specifically contact you ourselves." For me is not clear if they just "not require" or simply "not accept", so I will contact the school first and I will ask directly if they accept and what type the information would be helpful. Maybe sometime it pays off just to have patience and wait, as bsd_lover did ...
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: Corporate Finance
Send PM
hey everybody

good stuff lakai777. thanks

here's my opinion:
- apart from informing my interviewer, I think my approach would be a passive one for now; I won't be sending any update to the adcom unless there's a really major change in my profile. an additional reco/cover letter might actually hurt my application if seen as a desperate move or with no significant impact.
- I don't think there's much I can do other than waiting, setting the right expectations and keeping an eye on alternatives.

PS: i assumed from the dreaded email that we are kept on that list by default; no need to confirm back.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1682 [0]
Given Kudos: 210
Send PM
A waitlisted candidate asked me this. Posting here for everyone's benefit :
Quote:
i bsd, hope u are able to answer my query...

after each review, a waitlister will get:
1. an admit,
2. another review, or
3. ding (is this scenario highly likely?)

the reason i'm asking this is that i'm really sold on LBS and i dont mind waiting another year for the 2013 programme if i can get a decent chance of landing the deferred admit...

many thanks in advance!!

The most likely option is option 2. You will keep getting re-waitlisted. The "real" review will happen closer to when the "big deposit" get paid (or not paid) at which time it becomes clearer who exactly will come and who wont. Its unlikely that the dings will come until before the very end. If your heart is set on LBS and you keep waiting till the end, you may get the opportunity to get a deferred admit for 2013 or a special consideration for 2013. By then, many waitlisted candidates, frustrated by the wait move on to other schools they have been admitted to.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Schools:LBS (Waitlisted)
Send PM
Hello everyone,
I have a rather naive question but I am not sure I understand what BSD and others seem to say: candidates currently on the wait list may eventually get a deferred admit for 2013 ? As in "congratulations you're in, only next year" and without requiring to submit a new file, sit another interview, and refresh your screen for hours on the results' d day :D ?
If so, I would be very interested in knowing what is recommended to obtain this invitation!
Also, on what ground do you think sending an extra reference letter from a student/alumni will make a material impact on our current wait list status ? I do have the possibility to do that but I am wondering if it would not be more beneficial to keep that card close to my vest for now and eventually use it should I have to reapply next year.
In others words, as much as I would love to get in now I am trying to find the right balance between throwing my whole weight at the "wait list" situation vs keeping some dry powder for next year should I need to reapply.
What do you guys think ?
One last question: reapplicants have Essay 7 to write on what they did to improve their application, is there anything else to it ? Specifically, do reapplicants need to provide two reference letters from different people than the first time ?
If you have any questions let me know either on this thread or PM as I would be happy to help other fellow applicants in any way I can.
Cheers.
B
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Hi Guys

I really like this forum. Never wrote a post sofar but now i am WL R2, I feel the need.

I launched a discussion on Businessweek "London Business School 2010 - Waitlisted" ( i am to new to post a link)

If you want to visit you are welcome

especially you bsd_lover. Your posts are always interesting, supportive and honest.
SVP
SVP
Send PM
Well folks there are no guarantees in life. You WILL need to submit a new resume and at least one or two waitlist updates showing continual improvements and commitment (as you should note from my story). Who knows it may be tougher than ever this year with a higher number of applications and reported waitlists..

Quote:
and without requiring to submit a new file, sit another interview, and refresh your screen for hours on the results' d day :D ?
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 0
Schools:LBS (Waitlisted)
Send PM
Tougher is better ! Because we all know it's well worth fighting for :)
Good luck every one. And thanks again for your encouragements BSD.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Finance,General Management
Schools:Ross (R1-Admit)
Send PM
Hi bsd
Do you know how I can submit an extra letter of recommendation. Thanks for all your insights.
SVP
SVP
Send PM
You should be able to email it to the programme office
Ari123 wrote:
Hi bsd
Do you know how I can submit an extra letter of recommendation. Thanks for all your insights.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
had a look at last year's LBS WL thread on BW; i needed to set my expectations well on this, and it surely helped!
for the record, i think LBS's waitlist strategy is just brutal, very "selfish", and demeaning. that's only my view, and it won't keep me from saying that London remains my favorite school by far. But at least for now, i have a decent reply for the "what don't you like about the school?"
gents what are your plans apart from LBS? regardless of the far outcomes of our status, i would certainly like to keep in touch with smart people sharing the same misery -and ambition.
personally, my opportunity cost is way too high; the only school for which i'm willing to take that risk is actually LBS and i have no problem waiting or re-applying next year. Meanwhile, I'll focus in the next couple of months on my last cfa level test, then explore maybe other job opportunities while keeping an eye on LBS. I just turned down a school offer and dropped out of the waitlist of another school.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
frontline
can you please give the link of last year thread
thanks
Intern
Intern
Send PM
sure: https://forums.businessweek.com/n/pfx/forum.aspx?tsn=1&nav=messages&webtag=bw-bschools&tid=78560
it's a lengthy interesting read

chainchain wrote:
frontline
can you please give the link of last year thread
thanks
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Forget about it frontline

I just found it...........

Ok it's going to be WAY harder than I thought...Apparently they are going to keep us on the waitlist until the end...then only few of us will see the light...

At least I learned something....no need to check the forums daily.....
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Frontline/BSD

Something is surprising. the WL forum was way more active in 2008 & 2009

on BW or even Gmatclub there is not so many WL this year

Does that mean that we are actually less on the WL?

or

Does that mean that I am desperately trying to find positive signs to feel better?

thanks
SVP
SVP
Send PM
I think you are desperately trying to find positive signs to feel better. The process is usually very standardised and there are enough great candidates every year to have a good waitlist pool.
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11