Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 18:02 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 18:02

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Schools:Top B-School
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Entrepreneurship
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 56 [0]
Given Kudos: 62
Schools:Cornell University - The Johnson School
Send PM
Re: Harvard Hopeful - Very Unique Story - Thoughts? [#permalink]
tdave wrote:
Definitely not Harvard... it is possibly the most Entrepreneur-unfriendly of the top-7 schools and is a confirmed high-GPA whore. The typical profile is very young, high GPA, high GMAT, elite brands with a sprinkling of older military-types and science Ph.Ds. Your chances are slim to none at Harvard (harsh, but its better you know this than waste your time and emotional energy).

With flawless execution, you might have a good chance at Stanford. You will need to get some professional help though. Your mini-essay above is just not convincing enough and it lacks real insight and maturity. It's a real disservice to your unique experience and you'll need a real professional to help you tell your story in a way that'll move a bunch of jaded adcoms. Don't do Wharton - it would be a complete waste of time for the type of education you're looking for (and 2years spent with obnoxious cut-throat ibanking-wannabes and corporate pencil-pushers could be put to much better use elsewhere). Look for schools that celebrate quirkiness and non-traditional post-MBA careers e.g. Haas, Yale etc...

Apologies if I come across as rude and harsh but b-school admission is a cut-throat and deeply-flawed process and the sooner you come to grips with the harsh reality of its imperfections, the better equipped you are to game the system and come out on top. Good luck with your b-school search! You'll be very successful with or without an MBA.

I agree with this ^. What are your career aspirations? Why do you need an MBA? It seems that you are very successful and really don't need the MBA. That's one thing you will have to sell to the adcoms. Why do you need an MBA? If your story isn't compelling enough you won't get in at the top schools you listed. Your story has to be tight and your reasons compelling. I was an entrepreneur for 5 years and my story clearly explained why I need an MBA.

I hope this helps. Good luck!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: Finance
Schools:HBS 2012
 Q49  V42
Send PM
A few things to consider:

- It's clear that you are an entrepreneur, and want to go back to school for that, but what do you want to do after? What is going to happen to your business? If you've turned it around into something successful, why do you want to go back to school? Your line about "wanting it all" just makes it seem like you want a top-name degree for the sake of saying you have a top-name degree. I don't necessarily believe this, but be very thoughtful as you craft your story.

- I think you can form your essays, or at least a few of them, around the story you presented. I just really think you should reshape the story - my own personal opinion. Why? After reading through it once, my general reaction was "He's been sued, sued other people, apparently lied to (blaming others I would think is a very big no-no in essays, even if you were taken by some shysters), taken awhile to finish his degree, been in really bad business situations, and now has a seemingly respectable operation going."

Gut reaction: get an admissions consultant, or a very capable friend. Also, study your a$$ off for the GMAT.

Good luck with your business and the apps.
GMAT Club Bot