Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 11:56 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 11:56

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: USMC
Own Kudos [?]: 26 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Schools:Darden '12
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Schools:Oxford'11
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Finance
Schools:Columbia Business School Class of 2012
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: The London Business School 2010 thread [#permalink]
hi, i'm a R2 admit. a major concern is obtaining funding.
can anyone help:
- what's the % of students who obtain some kind of scholarship from LBS & its partners? i heard it's much lower than in american schools.
- when do we begin applying for scholarships, and when will we hear back on the status?
Intern
Intern
 Q49  V38
Send PM
Im a R2 applicant. Got waitlisted. GMAT is weak, any advice would be appreciated, thanks.
Intern
Intern
Schools:LBS (Waitlisted)
Send PM
I've been waitlisted as well, so +1 for the gmatclub tally.
Am obviously disappointed although I have the utmost respect for the whole applicant pool so congrats and commiserations to each and everyone.
I may consider joining the 0 admit club BSD created a while back because I had all my eggs in the LBS basket. I knew all along it wasn't a wise thing to do but what can I say: when you're in love there is only one that counts.
So I for one will reapply next year... and call me crazy but I will only apply to LBS again.
ps: that was a rough night, ding emails sent as early as 8:30 gmt, refreshing my mailbox like a lunatic for 3 hours I was starting to get my hopes up. 11:30 gmt I eventually received an email... but not an Admit. What a ride.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Finance,General Management
Schools:Ross (R1-Admit)
Send PM
What is the process for sending another recommendation? Has any R1 wait list tried to send another recommendation?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 46 [0]
Given Kudos: 18
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
Schools:Stanford '12
GMAT 2: 710
GPA: 3.9
WE 1: Wall Street Finance
WE 2: Entrepreneurship
Send PM
full0 wrote:
Have been silently following the thread for past several months. Thank you guys for all the insights, advice and support!

Received an admit yesterday – my first admit this season!

One thing in the email I received bugs me a little bit – it says that I need to immediately email the adcom of my willingness to accept the offer. Did other admits receive such thing? How urgent is that? I’m still waiting for decisions from other schools and want to examine all my choices before making this decision (although LBS is on top of the list).

Thanks for your advice.

most likely everyone received the same template. the key phrase i took away from that instruction was "plan to accept". thus i typed a reply immediately to let them know that i "plan" to do just that. i think that is all they are asking for right now. you are certainly allowed to examine all your other choices....
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 46 [0]
Given Kudos: 18
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
Schools:Stanford '12
GMAT 2: 710
GPA: 3.9
WE 1: Wall Street Finance
WE 2: Entrepreneurship
Send PM
4test1 wrote:
Waitlisted, for the 14 May revision.

Congrats to all the quantjock and the other admits. There seem to be quite a few of us on the waitlist. From bsd_lover's experience, this could turn out to be a long wait. And LBS is pretty much the only school I have.

Any waitlister strategies? :|

thanks 4test1!

in addition to bsd_lover's references on waitlist advice, i just wanted to add rhymes post the other day to those of us who were WLd at Booth. obviously ignore the Chicago parts, but i still think its solid general advice.

calling-fall-2010-chicago-booth-applicants-78611-2260.html#p704322

congrats, courage and condolences...
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: USMC
Own Kudos [?]: 26 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Schools:Darden '12
Send PM
hey all,

with the high number of LBS waitlisters here on the thread, I started an LBS Waitlist thread, so we have a place to go to where we can commiserate together and share some strategies and advice that we can use to get off the waitlist and on to our goals of the Admitted list.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: MBA
Schools:LBS, LBS, LBS
 Q49  V41
Send PM
JoeMa wrote:
Hey Y'all. I am a little surprised by some of the dings. Especially, Snowintx and Pranay. I thought you were shoe-ins. I am fortunate to have been one of the few admitted. My profile is Finance/Entertainment/29/680/3.4 top US school/American

Hey Joe,
Congratulations on your admit. Thanks for the kind words.
I guess I just fell through a demographic crack somewhere.
I have a lot on my plate with a new entrepreneurial venture I recently started, so I don't think I will have time to properly "mourn" my ding. :)
Hopefully, I will feel enough passion, and committed enough to go it another round in R1 next year with a spanking new profile and 2 new recommendations.
Lets see.

Cheers,
Pranay
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
Sorry for the late reply.

I'm in - Round 2

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Send PM
Hi,

This message is actually for Dr M (sent you a PM), but would appreciate other inputs.

1. First, deepest sympathy to all those that were dinged or WL. After my two Rd 1 dings w/o interview, I was feeling rather sorry for myself as well.

2. Sometimes it is a crap shoot. As a result of the two dings, I made a last minute choice to apply to Wharton (4 days before deadline) in addition to LBS, which was one of my original choices.

3. I surprisingly got admits at both, so now I have to make a choice.

4. Almost everyone has recommended that I go to Wharton, but I think I would prefer the two years in London over Philly. The trade-off is in terms of reputation and brand.

5. I intend to come back to Asia, maybe China to work. Possibly consulting or banking, as per most other b-school graduates. In this regard, the Wharton brand is slightly stronger.

6. The trade-off is 2 years of definite fun (not sure what life is like in Philly) vs. a lifetime of slightly less tangible brand and network benefits. My own experience with alumni nets is actually that they help a bit, but not that much, other than an opener in a conversation.

7. Would appreciate thoughts or inputs from forummers, thanks.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1264 [0]
Given Kudos: 32
Send PM
db66460 wrote:
Im a R2 applicant. Got waitlisted. GMAT is weak, any advice would be appreciated, thanks.

see what happens after your first review.. I read from other responses in the forum that sometimes schools will advise you to retake GMAT...
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1264 [0]
Given Kudos: 32
Send PM
pranaysrinivasan wrote:
JoeMa wrote:
Hey Y'all. I am a little surprised by some of the dings. Especially, Snowintx and Pranay. I thought you were shoe-ins. I am fortunate to have been one of the few admitted. My profile is Finance/Entertainment/29/680/3.4 top US school/American

Hey Joe,
Congratulations on your admit. Thanks for the kind words.
I guess I just fell through a demographic crack somewhere.
I have a lot on my plate with a new entrepreneurial venture I recently started, so I don't think I will have time to properly "mourn" my ding. :)
Hopefully, I will feel enough passion, and committed enough to go it another round in R1 next year with a spanking new profile and 2 new recommendations.
Lets see.

Cheers,
Pranay

way to go pranay!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Schools:Kellogg School of Management (Accepted), London Business School (Accepted), The Wharton School (Accepted)
Send PM
jasonjason,

I apologise for not responding to your private message; I wasn't aware I had any private messages as I completely ignore the gmactclub inbox. I'd like to answer your queries, well-thought out ones at that, as soon as I find a breather.

In the meantime, congratulations on your admission offers, and as a preliminiary note to my impending response, you've summarised, rather succinctly, some of the exact points I considered as I made the choice to accept the London Business School offer over the one from the Wharton School.

jasonjason wrote:
Hi,

This message is actually for Dr M (sent you a PM), but would appreciate other inputs.

1. First, deepest sympathy to all those that were dinged or WL. After my two Rd 1 dings w/o interview, I was feeling rather sorry for myself as well.

2. Sometimes it is a crap shoot. As a result of the two dings, I made a last minute choice to apply to Wharton (4 days before deadline) in addition to LBS, which was one of my original choices.

4. Almost everyone has recommended that I go to Wharton, but I think I would prefer the two years in London over Philly. The trade-off is in terms of reputation and brand.

5. I intend to come back to Asia, maybe China to work. Possibly consulting or banking, as per most other b-school graduates. In this regard, the Wharton brand is slightly stronger.

6. The trade-off is 2 years of definite fun (not sure what life is like in Philly) vs. a lifetime of slightly less tangible brand and network benefits. My own experience with alumni nets is actually that they help a bit, but not that much, other than an opener in a conversation.

SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1682 [0]
Given Kudos: 210
Send PM
I know that this message is for DrManhattan but I thought I might chime in with a few points:
1. It is a big misconception that people always choose Wharton over LBS. Several of my class mates have picked LBS over Wharton. LBS is a younger brand, but it is also a global brand (as is Wharton). No one in Asia is going to hire you just because you went to Wharton over LBS. They will hire you because you will show to them that you are good enough to work for them.
2. For working in Asia we organise two treks - one for internships and one for full time. These treks are fully student run and organisers try to cover Hong Kong, Singapore and Shanghai depending on demand of the participants.
3. Most people of Asian origin (and language skills) who wanted to go to Asia (esp in banking) got top bulge bracket internships in Hong Kong this year.
4. When looking for a job in Asia (and not being located in Asia), you are reliant on these treks / visits exclusively (at least as a career switcher) and your networking skills. All American schools have similarly organised visits and treks.
5. For consulting, you state your location preference while applying on consulting company's web site. You will get an interview again based on how well you have executed those applications and how relevant your CV is for all locations (and again not based on which school you attend)
6. There are some very big differences between the way LBS works and the way Wharton works. Understand these and then make a choice.

In summary, base your decision on fit and experience while studying. There wont be much difference in terms of job prospects in Asia.

jasonjason wrote:
Hi,

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Send PM
Thanks a lot, BSD and Dr M. I agree with the points you guys made.

Three questions -

1. From your perspective, how is recruiting representation at LBS?

2. From your perspective, how is Europe doing, vis-a-vis US? E.g. If I wanted to be in London vs. NY vs. Shanghai or Tokyo for example.

3. Both of you are not alumnus yet, but how would you rate the strength of the alumni network (though the fact that you are both contributing so much speaks volumes in favour of the LBS crowd, thanks again).

Will be out of email contact for 2 months starting tomorrow, so it has been a crazy rush trying to decide and work out long-term plans and ask for deferment on matriculation decisions.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1682 [0]
Given Kudos: 210
Send PM
1. All top recruiters recruit regularly from LBS. A full list can be found on LBS website somewhere.

2. I would say Shanghai Hong Kong Singapore are probably doing the best. London has seen a decent recovery and on campus recruitment for internships was very strong. However, I don't know much about the scene in the US.

3. LBS alums know that attending LBS is a different experience of moving to a new environment(at least for 90% of the students). By and large I have found them to be incredibly helpful and supportive. Some very busy and senior people take time out for you. But like alums everywhere, they will open doors, the rest is up to you.

jasonjason wrote:
Thanks a lot, BSD and Dr M. I agree with the points you guys made.

Three questions -

1. From your perspective, how is recruiting representation at LBS?

2. From your perspective, how is Europe doing, vis-a-vis US? E.g. If I wanted to be in London vs. NY vs. Shanghai or Tokyo for example.

3. Both of you are not alumnus yet, but how would you rate the strength of the alumni network (though the fact that you are both contributing so much speaks volumes in favour of the LBS crowd, thanks again).

Will be out of email contact for 2 months starting tomorrow, so it has been a crazy rush trying to decide and work out long-term plans and ask for deferment on matriculation decisions.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
hey guys, am also WAITLISTED. 29/M/Entrepreneur.

seems like there's an almost 50-50 split between WL and accepted. not sure about the dings. i can definitely say this forum has helped a lot, so thanks everyone. special mention to Dr Manhattan and BSD, who both have posted a lot of information on this thread. I'll be joining the WL thread shortly.
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  54   55   56   57   58   59   60  ...  66   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6919 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts