Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 08:33 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 08:33

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Tags:
Find Similar Topics  Add a Tag
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
Schools:Kellogg,Columbia,Duke, Wharton,Cornell,NYU,Ross
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [1]
Concentration: Marketing/Brand Management
Schools:Kellogg (R2-WL), Stanford (R2), Consortium: Wisconsin (R2), Ross (R2), & Darden (R2-WL)
 Q45  V41
WE 1: Non-Profit, Marketing
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 61 [1]
Given Kudos: 12
Concentration: Finance & Entreprenuerial Management
Schools:Wharton Class of 2012 w/ fellowship
GPA: 3.4 - Top 5 UG
Send PM
Director
Director
Affiliations: Consortium (CGSM.org), NSHMBA
Own Kudos [?]: 249 [1]
Given Kudos: 113
Schools:Yale SOM Class of 2012
 Q48  V51
WE 1: Investment Banking Summer Associate (Boutique tech M&A)
Send PM
Re: Michigan (full ride) vs Wharton (no money) [#permalink]
Kudos
tough call. it sounds like you were set on wharton except for the $$ issue. have you contacted their financial aid dept yet? i know money is tight everywhere, especially at schools, but if some some scholarship money from wharton might sway your decision, it would be worth it to ask.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [1]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Operations
Send PM
Kudos
It's going to be impossible to quantify what that monetary difference really means for you right now since anything could happen in the future in terms of job search, salary etc. A different way of looking at it might be, even if Wharton gives you slightly better opportunities, is that 2300/month payment for a decade going to affect how you look for a job? In other words, would you have to pass on a job that you might really enjoy for a better paying one. Weigh that possibility against the expected prestige/fit boost from Wharton.

I think that you can make the best of whichever path you choose, but either way just try not to have any regrets over the school you don't end up attending.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [1]
Schools:Kellogg,Columbia,Duke, Wharton,Cornell,NYU,Ross
Send PM
Kudos
Thanks for the responses and advices. Here's an update to my progress regarding scholarships and determining job opportunities.

I might be able to get some need-based financial aid once I decide to matriculate, but Wharton flat out told me it looked slim. They considered me for a fellowship and decided against it. I found out that I can work in the admissions office as well as TA my second year and make somewhere around 7500 - 10k. This is something I wouldn't mind doing.

I am applying to the NSHMBA scholarship that's worth between 2500 - 10k annually. Let's hope for the best

I've considered going into consulting just to pay off the debt, because quite frankly, I think the brand name is important to me. That's why I applied. As 2012dreams mentioned I thought about why I applied to each school. Well, I applied to the consortium schools because I would be happy there with money (but, not without) and to Wharton because I could see myself paying for it. Somehow I got into one of both. If I can somehow get in a situation where a consulting firm pays for my second year, I would be thrilled. Would I enjoy management consulting, sort of....but i'd prefer brand management hands down.

The final thing is that I really want to have a national job search and feel that Michigan might be too regional for the opportunities I hope to have.

Am I crazy to think that a brand name is worth the additional 120k?

As far as how much the debt will impact my life, it could be significant, but it could not be. If I can land a job that pays 120k a year, which is admittedly almost double what I make now, I think I could be ok. What do you guys think?

Thanks again for all your input
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: Alpha Phi Omega, Golden Key, Phi Kappa Phi
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [1]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: Product Development, Marketing, General Management in High Tech, (New) Media, Computer Entertainment
Schools:Ross (CGSM), Maryland, Columbia, CGSM: Stern, Darden, Cornell
 Q49  V41
GPA: 3.89
WE 1: Software/Product Dev (3 yrs)
WE 2: Patent Drafting/Prosecution (1 yr)
Send PM
Kudos
Hi drmang7, I thought I'd weigh in.

[In the spirit of full disclosure, I should point out to everyone reading this that I did not consider applying to Wharton, that Michigan has offered me the Consortium Fellowship as well, and that - after a heck of a lot of due diligence - I am now convinced that Michigan is the right choice for me (I will update my profile information shortly).]

From what you've said, it sounds like going to Wharton would give you a) a better brand (how much better is debatable - if we're talking US News rankings, Wharton comes in at 5 and Michigan comes in at 12), and b) a financial obligation that will drive you towards a career path that you "enjoy...sort of" instead of the career path that you "prefer...hands down." Is the brand worth pursuing a less enjoyable career path? That's up to you to decide, though I do offer some points to consider:

1) I've generally heard that - in terms of beating your competition for jobs - the brand of your school really pays off the most in your first two years out of B-school; after that, your experience takes center stage.

1a) If you were crazy about MC, then Wharton might land you a better salary to start off with and might be worth it; but since you don't seem crazy about MC, is that salary worth sacrificing the better fit of brand management?

1b) If you DID land a better salary going into MC from Wharton, how much of that salary increase would be compromised by your loan payments? By the time you paid off that loan, you might have had enough time to be earning about the same in MC from either school.

2) If you are able to "follow your dream" so to speak, would you be happier? Personally, I see the Consortium Fellowship as an opportunity to do just that. In the past few weeks, I've realized that with it, I will be able to shoot for a dream job, rather than having to go for something like MC (which I also think I could enjoy) because of mad debt. For me, the chance to chase that dream job is priceless. And if it didn't work out early on, I have no doubt that I could land a great position in a field like MC out of Ross (remember that Ross' brand is rather well-respected as well).

3) The network. In my opinion, this point goes both ways. Wharton's network is prestigious, and will last long after that first 2-year window. If you're in MC, that network will continue to benefit you. Heck, if you're in any field, that network will probably benefit you. However, the same is true of Ross. At GBR, we were told that University of Michigan has the largest alumni network in the world (that's the entire University, not just the b-school). But they're in all industries, and seem to be very willing to reach out to one another. Ross graduates will also be there in MC and IB, as well as Brand Management.

4) The fit. Ok, I know everyone says it. And some people really don't care about fit. But to me, at least, it is very important. I didn't investigate applying to Wharton, so I don't know what my personal fit there is like, but I do know that Ross is a very good fit for me. Which school fits you? The keynote speaker at the Stern Perspectives weekend summarized fit by breaking it down into three categories: the people, the location, and the (leadership) opportunities. Are the students, faculty, and staff the type of people you would like to be around, learn from, and learn with for the next two years? Does the location offer an enjoyable and fulfilling experience for two years? Do the opportunities allow you to get involved, spread your wings, grow, lead, etc. in ways that would keep you satisfied and excited for two years? I found these questions to be very helpful, and perhaps they will be for you as well.

I'm sure you can tell what I would lean toward if I were in your shoes, but in the end you have to do what is right for you.

One more thing though: I don't find Michigan to be all that "regional." Very few Ross grads stay in Michigan after they graduate. While some 39% end up in the midwest (mostly in Chicago, as I understand it), the network is very spread-out with 20% in the west and another 20% in the northeast. See Michigan's Employment Profile by Geographic Region. I don't intend to stay in the midwest (though I wouldn't think twice if that's where my dream job is).

Wharton's geographic profile breaks down with comparable numbers for different regions. Instead of sending about 40% to the midwest, they send about 40% to the northeast, mostly to New York and Boston (in a distant second). 15% go west, and about 12% end up in the mid-atlantic. See page 17 of this PDF.

It is worth noting that almost 25% of Wharton's class leaves the US, compared to only about 10% of Ross' class. But the point is that recruiters are coming to both of these schools for all regions. The factors that lead students to one region or another vary from available opportunities to family obligations to personal preferences. People at Wharton tend to end up nearer to Wharton (with 40% in the northeast) while people at Michigan tend to end up nearer to Michigan (with 40% in the midwest), but the statistics don't tell us "why." If you want to go somewhere besides the nearest region, the option is available at either school.

Phew, that was supposed to be a short post! :shock:

Good luck drmang7!
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Admitted - Which School Forum Moderator
1131 posts