Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 16:54 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 16:54

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Own Kudos [?]: 3083 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE:Business Development (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Finance
 Q47  V42
GPA: 3.5
WE 1: 3 Yrs Sell Side Research
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 765 [1]
Given Kudos: 20
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Duke (Fuqua) - Class of 2012
Send PM
Re: oil & gas industry mba recruiters [#permalink]
Bookmarks
You may want to read
Riverripper's Guide To Energy: riverripper-s-guide-to-energy-76849.html
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 806 [2]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General/Operations Management
Schools:Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
 Q49  V42
Send PM
Bookmarks
send me a pm if you want...I interned in O&G but will not be returning. There are a lot of opportunities and they really depend on what you want to do. I would aim for top 10 schools, I know for a fact that some of the companies who recruit from Top 10s and also from schools like Rice, SMU etc...pay top tier grads much more. With your background you will probably have your choice of company.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Schools:Haas (R2) admitted, Stanford (R2) admitted
 Q49  V45
Send PM
I have heard that major companies (BP, Chevron) actively hire MBAs. But service companies such as Schlumberger do not really look for MBAs unless it is for their consulting department. Hope this helps.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Schools:Top B-School
Send PM
riverripper wrote:
send me a pm if you want...I interned in O&G but will not be returning. There are a lot of opportunities and they really depend on what you want to do. I would aim for top 10 schools, I know for a fact that some of the companies who recruit from Top 10s and also from schools like Rice, SMU etc...pay top tier grads much more. With your background you will probably have your choice of company.

To Riverripper, why did you decide not to return? Oil & Gas Corp. Finance/Gen Mgmt. is on my radar but I am not sure that I'll get the accelerated career trajectory I am hoping to have after my MBA. What is your impression of the industry? Is it possible to make VP in 5-8yrs? What's the pay like? How comparable is it to investment banking? Many thanks.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 806 [4]
 Q49  V42
Send PM
Kudos
Never going to make VP in 5-8 years...more along the lines of 20 years for most people. There are some super rare exceptions who make vp 10-15 but those are small groups, sometimes smaller than a manager in terms of responsibility and even pay. Titles mean nothing, a global manager with 20 years in could out earn a VP at most companies by a lot. The pay is rather high and there are advancement opportunities, but its far from a sure bet. Lots of people will reach a level and never move beyond, but even so they will earn a very comforable living. Not going to make IB money but then again nothing outside of finance fields will pay that on average but then again you will be working 40-50hrs a week...though if you make SVP at an oil company you could earn 8 figures.

Culture leaves a lot to be desired at a lot of oil companies, the work wasn't exactly what I wanted to do and honestly Houston was not a place I would want to live for 30 years. Flexibility is huge for them, if you aren't willing to do what the company wants it will really limit your career. That could mean 3 years working in Nigeria, taking jobs you have no interest in. I wanted a more straight up GM/ops management role and that was not something really offered in oil. In the end it was definitely the right decision not to go through with it...the function I will be doing is much more exciting for me and after a lot of discussion with my wife, friends, and family it was clear that what you do for work should trump working in an industry you find interesting. The work you do is much more important I think than the underlying interest you may have...I loved the industry I used to work in but that passion didnt translate the job.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 42 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Concentration: Energy, Analytical Finance, Strategy
Schools:Kellogg Class of 2012
WE 1: Energy Risk Consulting
WE 2: Commodities Finance
Send PM
Thanks for that advice riverripper. I've had similar reservations and thoughts about the energy industry, and it was good to hear from someone who was at the center of it.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Finance & Entrepreneurship
Schools:Michigan - Ross Class of 2012
 Q50  V37 GMAT 2: 740  Q50  V40
WE 1: Oil/Energy/Engineering/Construction
Send PM
I'll chime in with River's observations here. For somebody who has never worked in the oil business, the conservative culture might be little touch to get used to (or maybe thats just the Californian in me talking). That said, I will say that most folks I work with are nice people. The pace of work is rather slow at times and it takes a lot to get the wheels turning, but that probably is due to the sheer size of the organizations. One will move around globally if they want to reach to the next level. Staying in one location will limit your potential on the corporate ladder. As far as pay goes, they pay well (not amazing) if you're in the US. If they send you somewhere as an expat, your compensation package will be aweome (Chev's Bangkok deal is to kill for, from what I hear). The assignments/oportunities you will get in the industry will be truly global in nature and you will have some very interesting multifaceted (techinical/economic/political/climate) problems to solve. I doubt any industry can match that.

My experience has been in engineering/project management on the downstream oil side, but have met folks in up/downstream who have shared similar stories.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
riverripper wrote:
Never going to make VP in 5-8 years...more along the lines of 20 years for most people. There are some super rare exceptions who make vp 10-15 but those are small groups, sometimes smaller than a manager in terms of responsibility and even pay. Titles mean nothing, a global manager with 20 years in could out earn a VP at most companies by a lot. The pay is rather high and there are advancement opportunities, but its far from a sure bet. Lots of people will reach a level and never move beyond, but even so they will earn a very comforable living. Not going to make IB money but then again nothing outside of finance fields will pay that on average but then again you will be working 40-50hrs a week...though if you make SVP at an oil company you could earn 8 figures.

Culture leaves a lot to be desired at a lot of oil companies, the work wasn't exactly what I wanted to do and honestly Houston was not a place I would want to live for 30 years. Flexibility is huge for them, if you aren't willing to do what the company wants it will really limit your career. That could mean 3 years working in Nigeria, taking jobs you have no interest in. I wanted a more straight up GM/ops management role and that was not something really offered in oil. In the end it was definitely the right decision not to go through with it...the function I will be doing is much more exciting for me and after a lot of discussion with my wife, friends, and family it was clear that what you do for work should trump working in an industry you find interesting. The work you do is much more important I think than the underlying interest you may have...I loved the industry I used to work in but that passion didnt translate the job.

Thanks for your reply River; it's much appreciated. I am seriously considering the oil & gas industry but almost everyone I have spoken to so far has given me the glossy rah-rah-rah overview. I have a few more questions if you don't mind:

In terms of pay, what kind of numbers are we talking about here? Of course, no industry can match Finance in terms of pay but with the large loans most MBA grads incurr, there is a lower limit to acceptable pay. What's the typical package like for fresh MBAs and what's the typical pay profile over 20yrs?

Is it advisable for MBAs without engineering backgrounds to recruit for oil & gas companies? From some of your previous posts on the subject, I understand that career options for those with pure finance backgrounds are limited (if they can get the jobs in the first place). Does this still hold true? Does a finance-type MBA have the same career options within the Majors as his/her colleagues with engineering undergrad backgrounds?

I don't really mind the travel but I am absolutely terrified of signing-up for a dead-end job with less-than stellar exit options.

Again, thanks for your insight.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 806 [1]
 Q49  V42
Send PM
Kudos
If you want GM then being a former engineer is nearly a requirement at many companies. There is definitely a big preference for that background...though it is possible to get in out of other areas. Finance background is very good if you want to go into a finance program at one of the companies.

Pay ranges from normal with strong bonus and raise potential to about the highest base salary you will see for a position. One super major has a higher salary point than consulting firms. You can make a lot of money at some of them. Other programs pay far less, some even under market. It depends who they typically recruit, if they are going to Top 10s the pay reflects that if they are going to local schools it can be below average if you are at a top school. Pay can vary by program at some companies, though finance would be on the high side. Ball park would be 90-95k on the low to 145k on the high.

If you dont advance much and just keep on doing a decent job but never get a bunch of promotions you will make a comfortable living so thats not a worry...if you reach executive level the pay can be extremely high. I know a few people I met with over the summer drove some very nice cars and lived in huge houses...so the potential to own a bentley is there even if you dont make CEO. But once you are in the industry unless you leave quickly you most likely will spend the next 30-35 years there...if for no other reason than pensions and deferred stock grants might make it impossible to leave. I heard about the golden handcuffs from several people, they said think long and hard about starting a career there since you most likely will be there forever unless you are willing to give up a huge amount of money.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
riverripper wrote:
If you want GM then being a former engineer is nearly a requirement at many companies. There is definitely a big preference for that background...though it is possible to get in out of other areas. Finance background is very good if you want to go into a finance program at one of the companies.

Pay ranges from normal with strong bonus and raise potential to about the highest base salary you will see for a position. One super major has a higher salary point than consulting firms. You can make a lot of money at some of them. Other programs pay far less, some even under market. It depends who they typically recruit, if they are going to Top 10s the pay reflects that if they are going to local schools it can be below average if you are at a top school. Pay can vary by program at some companies, though finance would be on the high side. Ball park would be 90-95k on the low to 145k on the high.

If you dont advance much and just keep on doing a decent job but never get a bunch of promotions you will make a comfortable living so thats not a worry...if you reach executive level the pay can be extremely high. I know a few people I met with over the summer drove some very nice cars and lived in huge houses...so the potential to own a bentley is there even if you dont make CEO. But once you are in the industry unless you leave quickly you most likely will spend the next 30-35 years there...if for no other reason than pensions and deferred stock grants might make it impossible to leave. I heard about the golden handcuffs from several people, they said think long and hard about starting a career there since you most likely will be there forever unless you are willing to give up a huge amount of money.

Wow! Thanks River. I am pretty shocked at the golden handcuffs bit... no wonder the industry has a recruitment crisis. I can imagine that a lot of younger people struggle to make a 5yr commitment to one employer. 30-35yrs?!! Oh dear, the thought of it makes me dizzy. Again, thanks River. That's one industry definitely crossed off my list.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [5]
Given Kudos: 39
Concentration: Finance & Strategy
Schools:Tuck, Ross, Sloan, Chicago, Kellogg & Darden
 Q47  V40
WE 1: Energy (Sales)
WE 2: Energy (Corporate Development)
Send PM
Kudos