Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 12:03 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 12:03

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 7304 [6995]
Given Kudos: 2
Schools: UCSD ($) , UCLA, USC ($), Stanford
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [3]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: Finance
Schools:LBS
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [3]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Re: How to get 6.0 AWA on GMAT ....my guide [#permalink]
Kudos
Dear chineseburned

I wanted to thank you for this post. I did the GMAT a week ago, and I just received my score, and guess what! 6.0
I am a foreign student, and English is not my first language.
My strategy was to memorize your template, I started writing the template everywhere I could (office, home, etc).

My story is not a great nor good story, the truth is that I got 49 in Math, and a #$@!#@! 21 in Verbal. I am very sad, since in every practice I got more than 31... 6 mgmat tests ranging from 31 to 36, and 2 official mba.com tests 34 and 31.

but if I have to thank someone that person is you, and the people in gmatclub.
I will be taking the GMAT again, I am afraid that I lost this years application round for that @$!@$ verbal, but I'll be back!

Thanks again dude, you rule... btw the percentile was 90.
Saludos!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [2]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Kudos
Thanks for the breakdown. I studied your template literally a day or two before the test and managed to get a 5.5. Not too bad. thx!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 3283 [13]
Given Kudos: 182
Concentration: Marketing, Leadership
Schools: University of Dhaka - Class of 2010
GPA: 3.63
WE:Business Development (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
It is one of best guidelines ever i have seen....
Attachments

700 strategies.doc [34 KiB]
Downloaded 5861 times

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hi,

Thanks a lot for this great post! Took my GMAT a few weeks ago and I got 6.0 in AWA. I only learned half a day and learning your 2 templates by heart was basically all I did for the AWA. So, your templates really work fine and are an easy way to score 6.0!
The hint to write down the template during the 5 min instruction time also helped me a lot because then, when the time was running, I didn't have to remember what I learned by heart, I could simply look on my paper and write the template down!
So thanks again, I can only recommend this templates!

(P.S.: I am not a native speaker; but you probably recognized that! :D)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 39 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Send PM
Can I refer to "the author" in the essays? "The argument" gets a bit repetitive.

Is it OK, when stating ways in which the argument can be improved, to use "may" or "might" (i.e. "it might be better to do it like X")? Or should I be more forceful?
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72857 [0]
Given Kudos: 18857
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Expert Reply
nickk wrote:
Can I refer to "the author" in the essays? "The argument" gets a bit repetitive.

Is it OK, when stating ways in which the argument can be improved, to use "may" or "might" (i.e. "it might be better to do it like X")? Or should I be more forceful?

I think that would be fine. I just searched for my score report and realized that I got a 5.0 on AWA - OOPS :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Method works. 6.0ed on recent exam. Thought I wouldn't pull off the assessment but the guide kept my argument well structured. Only looked at this post 1-2 days prior to exam. Use it!

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Affiliations: HLS
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Send PM
Hello,

I took 5 practice exams but always skipped the essay part. I read your post an hour before my GMAT and scored a 6 on my AWA.

Many thanks.

-J
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72857 [0]
Given Kudos: 18857
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Expert Reply
jdk61710 wrote:
Hello,

I took 5 practice exams but always skipped the essay part. I read your post an hour before my GMAT and scored a 6 on my AWA.

Many thanks.

-J

What could be a better feedback? :-D
How did you do by the way? Happy or thinking about retaking?
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: SigEp
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [1]
Given Kudos: 9
Send PM
Kudos
I would like to point out that the order is correct in which you receive the essays.. Analysis of an Argument is first, Analysis of an Issue is second. The Princeton Review course and book has these flipped which can confuse someone who's memorizing them in order (happened to me practicing yesterday).
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Finance
Schools:R2: Stern, Yale SOM, Wharton, Columbia, Tuck
GPA: 3.49
WE 1: 3+ Engineer
Send PM
This is obviously a great template judging from all of the high scores received. I take my test for the first time in less than one week and was wondering how closely the template was followed by those who did well. My concern is that I might be penalized if a human grader recognizes that I have copied numerous phrases from this template verbatim. It may seem like a silly concern, but I just want to have all of my bases covered.

Thanks,
PWH
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
peeweeherman wrote:
This is obviously a great template judging from all of the high scores received. I take my test for the first time in less than one week and was wondering how closely the template was followed by those who did well. My concern is that I might be penalized if a human grader recognizes that I have copied numerous phrases from this template verbatim. It may seem like a silly concern, but I just want to have all of my bases covered.

Thanks,
PWH

Well, what he outlined isn't some proprietary formula for cracking some system. It's just a thoroughly outlined structure for a sound argument/analysis. I briefly read the bullet points and loosely followed it. The pointers in this thread won't help you with grammatical errors or proper sentence structure, however it does tell you to be lengthy and support every claim you make. I was sure to restate everything and then go on to analyze/support/critique it while using relevant examples of my own. I think that thought organization counts as well as giving support for everything you say. If not this, then why. If you agree, why do you agree. If you do not agree, why not? Baseless claims are weak even if they are factual.

I would venture to guess that a lot of the critical analyses that are asked of test takers are generally blanket statements that are easy to attack and tear down. My question I had for the first one went something very similar to this:

A business manager observed that over the months of july through september inclusive, the home goods and furnishings department had higher profits than the clothing department. As a result, the business manager recommends that the store expand the home goods dept while shrinking the clothing dept.

Then it asked you to critique. Well, this is just about support-less a statement can get.

I restated, then went into specific things that are not unaddressed in this short passage that would be necessary to look into to ensure that it would be a sound move. The passage does not address the fact that both these departments have specific business cycles that could have attributed to the difference in profits. We'd need to look at longer operating cycles to ensure that this is not normal cyclical behavior. How about incentives that may have helped spur home goods sales? What about inventory costs? maybe the dept for furnishings is much more streamlined, affecting profits. How about the fact that consumer discretionary sales such as retail clothing will almost certainly spike coming into holiday season? Shrinking that dept now could likly be costly, not to mention time consuming. Perhaps a strong domestic currency allowed the store to purchase furniture at lower prices for sales in our market. On the contrary, maybe a lot of the retail is purchased in euros, which might have been very strong against the domestic currency...enough to actually hurt profits.

What I'm getting at is that it seems that in the short amount of words the GMAT will post a statement, it will not be able to sufficiently state something that you can agree with in whole. There should be many weaknesses that you can pick at. Just make sure your thoughts are organized and pay attention to grammar and redundancies and other common mistakes and you should be good.

As for the second AWA task, it said something like this:

Companies and organizations tend to overemphasize the training and importance of teamwork, when in fact, it is the drive and commitment of individuals that enable things to get done. Should companies and organizations shift to emphasize training individuals.
Agree, or disagree.

Well, this one is anyone's game, but taking both sides of the argument here will probably give you more material to work with.
Again, I restated the claim, and then immediately afterwards, put down my stance on it and went on to explain why I felt that way. On this one, I brought in work examples, both of my own industry, and that of other ones I had familiarity with. Again, just refer to the OP's structure guidelines because they work. Good luck.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [2]
Concentration: Operations, General Management
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 2.5
Send PM
Kudos
Just got my official score report, another 6.0!

Thanks a ton chineseburned, I gave you a kudos as that's the best I can do online!

Let me know if you are in DC, I will get you a drink!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [1]
Given Kudos: 58
Send PM
Kudos
This guide was fantastic. I took 1-2 days of casually looking at the template and reading up on the format of the AWA.

Thanks to Chineseburned's guide I got a 5.0 on the AWA.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [2]
Send PM
Kudos