Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 10:41 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 10:41

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72855 [0]
Given Kudos: 18857
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Re: My terrible "experience" [#permalink]
I agree with bb. Your have not given sufficient time to hone your basics in Quant and Verbal.

I personally believe that you should re-take the GMAT after 2-3 months only. Prepare your self and go through your basics. According to me, CRACK THE GMAT is a wonderful book provided you used it with correct method and with correct supporting books. Go through the book review provided by 'bb' in the previous post and buy the relevant ones.

I bought Manhattan SC, Manhattan-Maths series, OG 12, Crack the GMAT and some supporting question banks.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 427 [0]
Given Kudos: 52
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Schools: UNC (Kenan-Flagler) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
WE:Programming (Computer Software)
Send PM
i agree with others that you should A. get the MGMAT books and B. DELAY your testing for at least a month or 2. It seems your goal is 600ish so it wont be "impossible" if you just focus for 2 months and get the basics. Taking next month is a bad bad idea especially it seems you dont have a solid understanding of verbal and your math need a bit of improvement. If you really have to take it in a month then it is still possible but you have to put a lot of time into it and learn the basics asap.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Send PM
Re: My terrible "experience" (460 to 650 - 1 month) [#permalink]
Kudos
I am sorry but I did not listen to you guys on postponing the test. I think I was signing up as I wrote that first post. I took it again today (one month later), and nailed a 650. I grabbed the manhattan SC, which does a great job but I was still getting some wrong up until yesterday. I also looked at the CR Bible by powerscore. I read the few sections of the CR Bible that it mentions being tested most often. This really helps out in allowing you to identify premises vs assumptions vs conclusions and that's what the key is to the CR questions (at least I think so).

First test I also got 5s on the AWA. Not sure if that works out to a 4 and a 6 or two 5s but either way, I did it following the basic guides set up by a few people here. The essays today also seemed to go pretty well. Let's hope the rest of my app gives me the green light.

Thanks for all the help on this forum. There are a lot of great resources here, though I could have used them to my advantage a little more.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Re: My terrible "experience" (460 to 650 - 1 month) [#permalink]
bikingrules wrote:
I am sorry but I did not listen to you guys on postponing the test. I think I was signing up as I wrote that first post. I took it again today (one month later), and nailed a 650. I grabbed the manhattan SC, which does a great job but I was still getting some wrong up until yesterday. I also looked at the CR Bible by powerscore. I read the few sections of the CR Bible that it mentions being tested most often. This really helps out in allowing you to identify premises vs assumptions vs conclusions and that's what the key is to the CR questions (at least I think so).

First test I also got 5s on the AWA. Not sure if that works out to a 4 and a 6 or two 5s but either way, I did it following the basic guides set up by a few people here. The essays today also seemed to go pretty well. Let's hope the rest of my app gives me the green light.

Thanks for all the help on this forum. There are a lot of great resources here, though I could have used them to my advantage a little more.

congrats, but if you would have listened to us you prop would have cracked 700
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
I can probably agree with you on that.... but deadline was also today for applications so there was no way around that for me except to wait another 8 months.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Founder
37296 posts