Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 03:09 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 03:09

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Schools:LBS MiM
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Given Kudos: 1
Schools:LBS
 Q46  V34
Send PM
Re: LONDON BUSINESS SCHOOL MASTERS IN MANAGEMENT 2011 [#permalink]
I was wondering... what do the MiM final results look like? It's like the BSc? First, Upper Second, etc? what %s? Are we actually awarded a MSc?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
kitsune wrote:
I was wondering... what do the MiM final results look like? It's like the BSc? First, Upper Second, etc? what %s? Are we actually awarded a MSc?

this I may know lol
as far as I know about uk masters, I think u either get a distinction, pass or fail. Distinction is for 70% or higher

I am not sure if it's the same for this LBS master tho

btw I read somewhere in this thread that applicant will receive an email from the admission team saying something like " we will now proceed to review your application" or sth similar. Can anyone please confirm cuz I haven't got anything like that yet

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Quote:

Only top 10% get a distinction. Grades are A+, A, B, C and F for fail.
And yes, it is MSc.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hmmm I wonder what happens if you fail a course at LBS. We know that it's graded on a curve so there would definitely be a fail, right?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hey guys, I was also accepted to MiM and I am having difficulties choosing between LBS and SSE Finance.
The problem is that I cannot find that much information on any of the programmes - SSE is traditionally renowned but nothing more is generally "known" about it. As if it is hidden by the long Swedish winter...
As for LBS course, it is in its inaugural year and though no concrete information is available it does enjoy school's reputation.
To make choice more difficult, I have no specific idea what I want to do in my life (perhaps consulting, finance) so I guess I am torn between more options (management) and longer-lasting Master to find it out (SSE).

Could you please compare the two programmes in terms of employability and career perspectives?
I would really appreciate it!

Btw, this is my very first forum post ever so sorry about weird word selection...
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hey Amitanshu, welcome to the forum :)

I'm in the exact same situation as you (confused about whether I want to do consulting or finance, and have an offer for an Msc finance progam in addition to the LBS MiM).

I can't offer you much advice except that when it comes down to it, LBS's name will likely carry you further in Europe and Asia (from what I've gathered, not so much in North America where I'm from as US has its own share of top business schools :( ). I recently read in an article that although LBS does not really rank #1 in the world (as claimed by Financial times) in terms of prestige in the minds of employers, it does come in at 10th, which is neverthless quite amazing.

Regardless, LBS is still a very prestigious business school with a great reputation! I spoke to an ex executive of a major ibank and according to him, it would be hard and unlikely for HR to ding a resume with the LBS name stamped on it. Right now I'm about 70% leaning towards LBS for these reasons.

In terms of job placements, I'm planning on calling the admissions office next week to ask. I will let you know! You should do the same for SSE, since the program itself should be the most reliable source.

Good luck with your decision making! I've been confused and restless for the past week! ahaha
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hey Hofimax, I was wondering how the employment rate is right now for the current MiMs. Also, woud you be able to share a little bit about the types of students who are struggling to find jobs right now? For example, what are they're backgrounds, maybe where they are in the class, and what companies they have tried? Thanks!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Yogotiger wrote:
Hey Hofimax, I was wondering how the employment rate is right now for the current MiMs. Also, woud you be able to share a little bit about the types of students who are struggling to find jobs right now? For example, what are they're backgrounds, maybe where they are in the class, and what companies they have tried? Thanks!

Hofimax, I would reallly appreciate this information as well!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Quote:

That's difficult to answer because I don't know everyone's background/personality/portfolio of companies they applied/# of offers/.... Combining what I know, I think there is no real pattern in background/nationality. Most went for the big names first and this year there have not been enough available positions in consulting and finance so people shifted more to industry in general.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hey round 4 applicants,

Did anyoine of you get the mail saying 'The admissions committee will now proceed with reviewing your application' ? I haven't and the deadline is quite close so I'm quite worried.....

Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
Feyfey wrote:
Hey round 4 applicants,

Did anyoine of you get the mail saying 'The admissions committee will now proceed with reviewing your application' ? I haven't and the deadline is quite close so I'm quite worried.....

I haven't received as well. But is it a subject to worry about? Honestly, I didn't expect to receive mail with such information :(
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Someone in the third round said they did recieve this mail. But since you havent too, then its nothing we should worry about.
Manager
Manager
 Q46  V34
Send PM
I did received (R3) a "Thank you for submitting your online application to the Masters in Management programme at London Business School. We are delighted to acknowledge receipt of your application" email. But it was automatic just after I submitted my application...
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
kitsune wrote:
I did received (R3) a "Thank you for submitting your online application to the Masters in Management programme at London Business School. We are delighted to acknowledge receipt of your application" email. But it was automatic just after I submitted my application...

I did receive this email Kitsune ! It was sent to me a few minutes after submission of online application..
Manager
Manager
 Q46  V34
Send PM
Then, no worries! The next email would be the interview decision one :)

Btw, the Welcome Pack is sooo cool! :) It even includes a Lonely Planet London guide! This people know about persuation... :P
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Send PM
Because the founder of Lonely Planet is an LBS alum!
Manager
Manager
 Q46  V34
Send PM
KAS1986 wrote:
Because the founder of Lonely Planet is an LBS alum!

I did not know that! I should have mentioned that in my interview instead of Richard Branson! lol! HOW COOL IS THAT!!! OMG I soooo want to go to LBS!
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  12   13   14   15   16   17   18  ...  24   
Moderator:
Senior Moderator - Masters Forum
3137 posts