Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 23:37 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 23:37

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 91 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Operation, Supply Chain, Product Management
Schools:MIT Sloan 2012
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [1]
Send PM
Re: Is Age a factor for getting into a PT programe [#permalink]
Kudos
Not sure how much of a determining factor it is, but I was admitted to Stern's PT program at 38. I am definitely one of the oldest in my class. Most of my classmates are late 20s, early 30s.

I think by the time you hit 35, EMBA is the more common path. It wasn't an option for me, but sounds like it might be for you. I'd explore that first.

I can say that my admission at Stern was probably assisted by my GMAT of 750 and decent undergrad GPA (3.35 in Math). You'll have a much better shot at any good program if you get that GMAT up. Good luck.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Send PM
rishi4you wrote:
Folks,

Wanted to take your opinion on whether age is a determining factor into getting into a PT MBA programe from Stern, Tepper, Sloan , Columbia. I am 35 with 10+ years of exp in IT and worked with top 2 consulting companies IBM , Capgemini . Had a solid career progression and have reached a point where in i believe i need more push to get to the next level . Hence decided to get my part time MBA. Have a BS degree from India (Mumbai University with a 2.9 GPA) and a GMAT score which is not that good (610 Q45 V 27). Planing to give my GMAT again.

But wanted to check whether age( planing to apply Spring 2010, by the time i complete i would be 38-39) would be a deciding factor in my application and whether i should consider opting for a EMBA instead. How much would a PT MBA help specially if i am making a decent 120k+ now. Can i think of taking a 180-200K jump post my MBA.
thnks for your replies!!!

As far as your salary bump, you are looking for a 50% increase in salary after your MBA. That is unlikely especially because you are already making decent dollars. A person who made pre-MBA salary of $75K can often expect to get a 50% bump. But the salaries just don't climb very much after they hit your level (not in real value) UNLESS you get promoted to a senior level Director position or become an entrepreneur.

A $180K to $200K salary is definitely a C level (CTO, CIO etc) pay for small to medium sized firms. I would think an MBA from a leading school will help you but not immediately (unless you are already a senior level manager).
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Concentration: Finance / International Business
Schools:Stern | Tepper | IESE | CEIBS | Anywhere that takes me!
Send PM
This salary discussion is interesting. At what point does a PT MBA not worth it financially. Meaning, if you can make ~150K a year without a MBA, would a PT MBA from a school like Stern really help you financially all that much?

My understanding is that it would be hard to transfer to a banking or trading role after a PT MBA, so assuming you stay in the same line of work (management consulting, project management).. thanks guys!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 20 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Age is not a factor for Stern. I applied at 43 and got in, while many are late 20's there are certainly classmates in there 30's and 40's, as well as the youngest person who is 22. The weekend program may skew a little older.
The more solid work experience you have and the stronger the rest of your application is the less GMAT matters, but it should be at least 610.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Hi,

1. Age not an issue -- mainly due to supply and demand. There is a lowered pool of PT applicants, if you have the credentials and the funding, your chances are as good as any.
2. PT mba gives you a good hedge -- the MBA should boost chances, both in your career track and out. Hard to predict what the market will be like when you come out, but at minimum, you'll have secured flexibility to switch into a different field.

Good luck!
Aveek Guha
GMAT Club Bot