Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 09:59 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 09:59

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 25 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Schools:Michigan - Ross Class of 2012
 Q42  V39
GPA: 3.41
WE 1: Marketing within Financial Services
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 101 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 765 [1]
Given Kudos: 20
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Duke (Fuqua) - Class of 2012
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: What's your situation at work? [#permalink]
I found out on Tuesday that my last day will be May 31. I was hoping to hang on into mid-June for a few extra weeks of pay (and an extra month of health care), but they didn't make that much of an option. They actually stuck me on a project that started Tuesday and literally wraps up on my last day, so they'll get their money's worth. I'm also a little irritated about the way they are dealing with unused vacation, but that's another story.

Nevertheless, I'm sure I'll enjoy the extra few weeks off!

This new project actually should be interesting in theory, but at this point I'm not particularly motivated or interested, so the next month will still probably be a challenge! I started marking down the days to go. In a couple hours, I'll be down to 26!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 101 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
asimov wrote:
mmphf wrote:
In my previous jobs, I've watched people give more notice out of consideration to the company, and only get screwed because of it.
I agree that the length of the notice is a judgement call. Some company will not bother with the notice and just fire you. Others will give you all the crap work. If you are in those type of work atmosphere where the company doesn't value its workers, 2-week is a sufficient courtesy, since they already burned the bridge and set that kind of expectation for everyone.

However, there are plenty of companies (like ones mentioned in the thread) that treat the workers fairly. In those cases, I think giving a longer notice is proper to ensure good transition, especially if you are working on a lot of specialized projects. I'm sure you won't like other people dropping a half-finished project in your lap.

Working for a better company is why I want an MBA! :-D Totally depends on the company and your position, and the type of relationship that you want to have with your employer after you leave. Though my boss was really excited for me that I was considering getting my MBA (he is a great boss), I unfortunately don't trust the company and his bosses. It will be two weeks when I get the final date.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 270 [1]
Given Kudos: 22
Concentration: social enterprise
Schools:University of Michigan Ross/SNRE (Erb Institute)
 Q44  V47
Send PM
Kudos
If you need to keep a running countdown on your desktop, I suggest: https://www.timeanddate.com/date/duration.html :twisted:
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 138 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Schools:Duke 2012
Send PM
conmisdosmanos wrote:
If you need to keep a running countdown on your desktop, I suggest: https://www.timeanddate.com/date/duration.html :twisted:

ugh, 70 days?!?!?! I don't think I can use the counter yet, this is depressing...I think I need a counter that counts down work days.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Schools:UCLA
Send PM
highhopes wrote:
conmisdosmanos wrote:

ugh, 70 days?!?!?! I don't think I can use the counter yet, this is depressing...I think I need a counter that counts down work days.

Are you ending in late June? I am trying to work out a last day with my current employer and early June seems to work best for both of us, however, they have said that I can stay as long as I want...my big concern is what looks OK on my resume. If I leave work in June and am not really doing anything work related for the summer is that going to raise red flags to future employers?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
I hope not - I'm leaving in early June and plan to take the summer off. I'm sure they understand that most people have to plan, move, etc. Also, after working my tail off for four years, a few months off to clear my head before school will be nice.

What are people doing with their time off? My boss laughed when I shrugged my shoulders in response to this. Guess I should make some plans but I don't have anyone to travel with as most of my friends don't have the money or time right now.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 138 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Schools:Duke 2012
Send PM
dcdevil wrote:
highhopes wrote:
conmisdosmanos wrote:

Are you ending in late June? I am trying to work out a last day with my current employer and early June seems to work best for both of us, however, they have said that I can stay as long as I want...my big concern is what looks OK on my resume. If I leave work in June and am not really doing anything work related for the summer is that going to raise red flags to future employers?

Totally fine...I knew I'd get stir crazy if I took too much time off, so just a few weeks for me. I'm also way cheap, so no traveling for me pre-school either.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 40 [1]
Given Kudos: 22
Schools:Columbia Business School - Class of 2012
Send PM
Kudos
Leaving in June is very normal and I doubt that employers would care at all as just about everyone leaves then.

Many schools also only make you list your years and not your months on your resume.

And lastly I think most people naturally tend to look at positions, companies, and accomplishments a lot closer than dates.

Posted from my mobile device
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 61 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Concentration: Finance & Entreprenuerial Management
Schools:Wharton Class of 2012 w/ fellowship
GPA: 3.4 - Top 5 UG
Send PM
so i finally told my manager last week and i will say i'm happy i didn't say anything earlier. aside from the couple of people i'm really close with, i've gotten the cold shoulder and "the look" from so many people. my manager has said about four sentences to me all of today. he's not upset with me, just spinning about what to do and how to replace me, but it's weird nonetheless. i will say i don't ever think i'll encounter these people again in my professional life, but i just need to make sure my manager will give a good reference in the future.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 427 [0]
Given Kudos: 52
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Schools: UNC (Kenan-Flagler) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
WE:Programming (Computer Software)
Send PM
i only told a tech lead (also my rec.) about my plans. The reason being one of my managers is bit gossiper - if i told him and ask him for rec. the whole office would know by the end of the day - being more than a year away this would look really bad... My other manager is very tough and undoubtedly it would look very bad if i told him.... so for now only my rec. knows about my application although there are 2 others who know that I took the GMAT.
Intern
Intern
Affiliations: Merage
Given Kudos: 2
Schools: University of California Irvine (Merage) - Class of 2013
WE:Sales (Other)
Send PM
rhyme wrote:
My boss thought I was going part time. I never corrected him until it came time to quit.

Exactly what I was thinking of doing. Hope it's not shady!
Current Student
Given Kudos: 1
Schools:UCLA
Send PM
switcher wrote:
rhyme wrote:
My boss thought I was going part time. I never corrected him until it came time to quit.

Exactly what I was thinking of doing. Hope it's not shady!

Same with my boss and I was pretty sure that I was totally clear when I said FULL-TIME MBA. Ah, well but now they think I am coming back post-MBA.
Current Student
Send PM
isnt it better to just not risk early termination or awkwardness to save it for last minute? Thats what most people do when looking for new jobs no?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 54 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Marketing, Brand Management
Schools:Schulich class of 2012
 Q35  V48
GPA: 3.8
Send PM
shaselai wrote:
isnt it better to just not risk early termination or awkwardness to save it for last minute? Thats what most people do when looking for new jobs no?

Well, I think most of our bosses know prior as they're typically one of the references we use in the application process.

Mine did my references in January and I got my first admit at the end of February. I remained hush-hush about any interviews or admissions news, and then I was asked in May what my plans were. I finally resigned last week with a departure date of July 23.

It's a "good" reason to leave as no employer would ever have especially harsh feelings against someone looking to further their education. When you leave a company to join another one, it's kind of like a break up to leave a hotter woman, but leaving to go to school is more like a break up because you realize you're gay.

I think a lot of employers like the extra notice to find a suitable replacement in a pleasant departure like this. Plus, it gives them time to organize any extras (you never know - they could reward you with a goodwill scholarship for your great work).
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 61 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Concentration: Finance & Entreprenuerial Management
Schools:Wharton Class of 2012 w/ fellowship
GPA: 3.4 - Top 5 UG
Send PM
oh yes, and even better as they try to see if i will reconsider - "you know you were just about to receive a raise". people haven't gotten raises here in two years, there is nothing they could pay me to make me forgo the opportunities at Wharton.
Current Student
Send PM
hmm i didnt think it that way... i view it as a big risk. With my 2 managers 1 probably will do it but like i said everyone will know about it pretty much more than a year ahead (since i am going for fall 2011). My other manager probably wont do it and he probably will be tougher - that is why i picked the Lead i was working with...
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Schools:Texas '12
Send PM
I gave my notice months ago. In fact I’ve already trained my replacement. Now that I have limited responsibilities I find it hard to concentrate at work and get anything accomplished. Currently my last day is set for 07/23. My boss, who’s been great and even wrote my lor’s, is going to be on vacation my last week so we are having my going away lunch celebration 07/16. I’m thinking of making this my last day sense I’m pretty much useless at this point anyway. At least I have a vacation next week. Hopefully I’ll get some motivation to finish…
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8