Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 09:48 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 09:48

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 666 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Finance
Schools: Harvard Business School (HBS) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V46
GPA: 3.91
WE:Corporate Finance (Venture Capital)
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72883 [1]
Given Kudos: 18867
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 666 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Schools: Harvard Business School (HBS) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V46
GPA: 3.91
WE:Corporate Finance (Venture Capital)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Send PM
Re: Test Insecurities - anyone else feel this way? [#permalink]
CharmWithSubstance wrote:
Thanks bb. I agree with you that I don't think GMAT will really put anyone in a comfort zone, but if practice test scores are able to surprise me, perhaps the actual test score will too!

Happens all the time for me. That's the thing about tests like these, even if you have a sound grasp of the material, you can get unlucky at times and overlook a mistake. It's hard to be prepared for everything they throw at you. A lot of times it's just about getting the right questions.

I remember when I was just devastated by my first time SAT of 2000. I retook and got a 2250. (Didn't study so it wasn't like I tried harder or anything.)

The best part is that they let you retake these things (although the exam prices are a bit pricey); the trick is getting the better score the second time around...
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 50 [1]
Given Kudos: 11
Schools:Emory 2012
 Q50  V47
GPA: 2.5 Applied Math Major
WE 1: 1 yr proprietary trading
WE 2: 2 yrs global ibank in municipal derivatives
Send PM
Kudos
Completely agree with bb. I was stunned to see 780 when I tested. I had no idea if I was doing well on the verbal section. The test is designed to play with your mind. If you think you're getting easier questions, it either means that your skills are stronger than what the test is giving you, or it means you F'd something up earlier. And you never know which is it. I'll always think my verbal score was a fluke.
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72883 [0]
Given Kudos: 18867
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Expert Reply
CharmWithSubstance wrote:
Thanks bb. I agree with you that I don't think GMAT will really put anyone in a comfort zone, but if practice test scores are able to surprise me, perhaps the actual test score will too!

I hope so too - it surprised me, but please please please do not go to the test overconfident. Fight for every single question, check your answers (something we often do not do as we are lazy) - this means spending additional 5-10 seconds per question at the end, just re-reading the question to make sure you answered the question and that your answer is within the ballpark - this helped me to avoid 2 mistakes on my own gmat and pretty much freaked me out (talk about being paranoid). The entire test I felt that i was failing down a very deep hole and had no idea at all as to what I was doing right or wrong. It is a trip. Good luck - please do post your debrief and let me know if any questions :wink:
SVP
SVP
Status:<strong>Nothing comes easy: neither do I want.</strong>
Own Kudos [?]: 3594 [0]
Given Kudos: 235
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
Schools: ISB '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 670 Q49 V31
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V35
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 352 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
I think the reason you feel this way is because the material you have to cover is rather big and the number of problems you've solved so far is considerably less. To make a paralell: imagine you are in a new house. After a few weeks you get a feeling that you know the house well but you are still not sure. After living in it for 10 years you finally can say that you know it inside out.

Posted from my mobile device
GMAT Club Bot