Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 05:26 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 05:26

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 5421 [0]
Given Kudos: 40
WE 1: 3.5 yrs IT
WE 2: 2.5 yrs Retail chain
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 277 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 5421 [1]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 488 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: Have Vs Will [#permalink]
ykaiim wrote:
I have found one SC on Kaplan test:

The Limon Dance Company believes that, since the death of the Jose Limon in 1972, they have and will continue to perpetuate the shared artistic vision of Limon and his mentor and collaborator Doris Humphrey, who both choreographed works in the company's active property.

What you think could be the correct sentence?

neoreaves wrote:
1. I am concerned with what I have done. ---> what he did in the past
2. I am concerned with what I have and will do. --> what he possesses and what he will do in future

"they will continue"..should be used instead of "they have and will continue"
Intern
Intern
Send PM
I think it is an incorrect sentence because "they" doesnt have a clear antecedent
Director
Director
Send PM
No, the sentence is correct in its sense.

neoreaves wrote:
I think it is an incorrect sentence because "they" doesnt have a clear antecedent
Intern
Intern
Send PM
so you are saying this is the answer ?? can you also tell me the source of this question please ?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
The Limon Dance Company believes that, since the death of the Jose Limon in 1972, they

look at this ..."they" can not refer to the Limon Dance Company because it is a singular ....am i missing something here ?
Director
Director
Send PM
neo,

Please read carefully what we are discussing here.

neoreaves wrote:
The Limon Dance Company believes that, since the death of the Jose Limon in 1972, they

look at this ..."they" can not refer to the Limon Dance Company because it is a singular ....am i missing something here ?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
ok forgetting "they" ...

will have and will do --> this means a continuation

have done --> means done in the past ..there is no continuation
Director
Director
Send PM
The Limon Dance Company believes that, since the death of the Jose Limon in 1972, they have and will continue to perpetuate the shared artistic vision of Limon and his mentor and collaborator Doris Humphrey, who both choreographed works in the company's active property.

A. they have and will continue to perpetuate the shared artistic vision of Limon and his mentor and collaborator Doris Humphrey,

B. they have and will continue to perpetuate Limon and his mentor and collaborator Doris Humphrey shared artistic vision,

C. it has and will continue to perpetuate the shared vision of Limon and his mentor and collaborator Doris Humphrey,

D. it has perpetuated and will continue perpetuating the artistic vision of Limon and his mentor and collaborator Doris Humphrey shared,

E. it has continued to perpetuate the shared artistic vision of Limon and his mentor and collaborator Doris Humphrey,

I hope this will help more.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
ok ...IMO E ....

" it has " --> indicates a continuation ...so anything more is redundant ....in this case "it has and will continue" sounds redundant to me ....well those are my two cents ....what is the OA btw ?
Kaplan GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 645 [2]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
'has continued and will continue' is indeed redundant. 'Will continue' means that it will keep going; by definition it (whatever it is) must have started some time in the past, or we'd be starting, not continuing. Thus, since anything continuing by definition has been happening, saying explicitly that it has been happening is redundant.

But to go back to the original issue:

Quote:
I am concerned with what I have and will do.

This one is in error for a different reason. Here, [have and will] are both connected to the verb [do]. That's clearly incorrect; 'I am concerned with what I have do' makes no sense. In order for the above sentence to be correct, it would have to be 'I am concerned with what I have done and will do'
Director
Director
Send PM
Eli,

Thanks for your expanation. Even I agree with your point. I have referred Manhattan SC and it that its clearly mentioned that - If an action is happened in the past and it is continued to the present then we use Present Perfect tense. But, does it means that -
If an action is happened in the past and it is continued to the present and will continue to happen in the future then the use Present Perfect tense is correct.

Can you explain more on the SC problem above. E is the OA but I am not convienced with it.

KapTeacherEli wrote:
'has continued and will continue' is indeed redundant. 'Will continue' means that it will keep going; by definition it (whatever it is) must have started some time in the past, or we'd be starting, not continuing. Thus, since anything continuing by definition has been happening, saying explicitly that it has been happening is redundant.

But to go back to the original issue:

Quote:
I am concerned with what I have and will do.

This one is in error for a different reason. Here, [have and will] are both connected to the verb [do]. That's clearly incorrect; 'I am concerned with what I have do' makes no sense. In order for the above sentence to be correct, it would have to be 'I am concerned with what I have done and will do'
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 3223 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
ykaiim I see what you are saying

happened in past + going in the present = present perfect tense

is the below correct too?

happened in past + going in the present + will happen in future = present perfect tense
Kaplan GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 645 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
ykaiim wrote:
Eli,

Thanks for your expanation. Even I agree with your point. I have referred Manhattan SC and it that its clearly mentioned that - If an action is happened in the past and it is continued to the present then we use Present Perfect tense. But, does it means that -
If an action is happened in the past and it is continued to the present and will continue to happen in the future then the use Present Perfect tense is correct.

Can you explain more on the SC problem above. E is the OA but I am not convienced with it.
ykaiim,

Remember, the GMAT test grammar, but it also tests style. 'Have continued and will continue' is grammatically correct, but it contains redundant information, which makes it stylistically incorrect. Grammar always takes precedence over style on the GMAT, but since there is another answer choice that is grammatically sound but also avoids that repetition, that second answer is the one we must select.
Director
Director
Send PM
Eli,

Can you provide some explanation on this problem:

If the proposed expenditures for gathering information abroad are reduced even further, international news reports have been and will continue to diminish in number and quality.
(A) have been and will continue to diminish
(B) have and will continue to diminish
(C) will continue to diminish, as they already did,
(D) will continue to diminish, as they have already,
(E) will continue to diminish [CORRECT]

Here also we have CONTINUE in the sentence but the correct choice doesn't have HAVE. If I go with your reasoninng then the correct answer should be -

HAVE continue to diminish.

Please correct me where I am wrong.

KapTeacherEli wrote:
ykaiim wrote:
Eli,

ykaiim,

Remember, the GMAT test grammar, but it also tests style. 'Have continued and will continue' is grammatically correct, but it contains redundant information, which makes it stylistically incorrect. Grammar always takes precedence over style on the GMAT, but since there is another answer choice that is grammatically sound but also avoids that repetition, that second answer is the one we must select.
Kaplan GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 645 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
ykaiim wrote:
Eli,

Can you provide some explanation on this problem:

If the proposed expenditures for gathering information abroad are reduced even further, international news reports have been and will continue to diminish in number and quality.
(A) have been and will continue to diminish
(B) have and will continue to diminish
(C) will continue to diminish, as they already did,
(D) will continue to diminish, as they have already,
(E) will continue to diminish [CORRECT]

Here also we have CONTINUE in the sentence but the correct choice doesn't have HAVE. If I go with your reasoninng then the correct answer should be -

HAVE continue to diminish.

Please correct me where I am wrong.

KapTeacherEli wrote:
ykaiim wrote:
Eli,

Hi ykaiim,

Sorry I wasn't clear. 'Have continue' is NEVER correct. From a grammatical point of view, the auxiliary verb 'have' in the present perfect must always be followed by the past participle.

(A) and (B) are therefore incorrect because of the rule of ellipsis--omitted words. In 'have been and will continue' and 'have and will continue', we're leaving out a word: the first instance of the verb 'continue' in each case. When we have orphaned auxiliary verbs like 'have been', we can't make up a new verb tense out of thin air. We must use the one we are provided elsewhere in the sentence: 'continue'. Filling in that missing word to test for correctness, we get 'have been continue and will continue' and 'have continue and will continue', both of which are obviously grammatically wrong.

The remaining two answer choices do away with the ellipses, moving the part about the past to an intervening phrase. 'Already did' is grammatically incorrect because the diminishment continues to the future. But we are still left with (D) and (E)

Here's the confusing part--and the unique behavior of the verb 'continue'. Remember, the present perfect tense refers to an event that began in the past and continues to the present. What about 'continue'? Well, the verb 'continue' refers to an event that began in past and continues to the present!

Thus, the trap of choice (D), and the trap from the previous problem. Because the verb 'continue' always implies the present perfect by its very definition, actually including the present perfect in our sentence is redundant. Saying that it 'already has diminished', or (as in the Limon problem) 'has continued and will continue', is considered stylistically incorrect by the GMAT, because the present perfect explicitly states information that is already implied, and therefore adds nothing but word count to the sentence.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Given Kudos: 32
 Q48  V38
Send PM
In the "Limon Dance Company" question, the original sentence suggests that it had perpetuated in the past and will do so in the future too.
Option E says only that "it has continued to perpetuate.." but mentions nothing about the future. This changes the meaning of the original sentence, which I suppose is unacceptable.
I think option C addresses this issue and that C should be the answer.

If your reason for defending Option E for the Limon Dance question --> is that the answer to the question on "international news", is ("will continue to diminish") --> this answer does address the fact that it had already been diminishing.
But option E in the Limon Dance Compay does not address the perpetuation in the future, which is why the answer should be C

Is there anything wrong in this line of thought?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Eli,
Thanks a lot for the explanation!
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   
Moderators: