Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 20:05 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 20:05

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Schools:UCLA FEMBA rnd 2, USC MBA.PM
 Q42  V41
GPA: 2.7
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Re: UCLA FEMBA [#permalink]
TrojanBruin wrote:
Hi folks,

I've been observing your conversations for the past month and I find them very useful.

I need some advice....

UCLA FEMBA vs. USC MBA.PM

I'm a USC undergrad in Poli Sci... Do I go back to my love and joy or choose the better ranked school with the better reputation? I've been admitted to both.

All depends on what you want to do? What are your goals? What's your concentration? Are you looking to switch careers? Switch companies upon graduating? Whats your comfort level with switching schools cause it sounds like you enjoyed USC? Both USC and UCLA have their positives and negatives (USC has various certificate programs, UCLA has multiple options for studying abroad, UCLA has a more recognized brand name associated with its MBA program) you just need to look at the curriculum and what your trying to get out of the programs to decide.

I've applied to both and know which one I'd choose but thats me. Its hard to give advice because each person is looking for different things in a program.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
How soon after accepting did people get cohort/class allocation?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Send PM
TrojanBruin wrote:
Hi folks,

I've been observing your conversations for the past month and I find them very useful.

I need some advice....

I'm a USC undergrad in Poli Sci... Do I go back to my love and joy or choose the better ranked school with the better reputation? I've been admitted to both.

First a disclaimer that I never applied to USC and was never interested in going there so I don't know much about the program. I do have two friends who graduated from USC.PM and one told me his USC MBA was a "total waste".

Having said this, I have noticed that USC's on campus recruiting now has few high profile names (including one of M/B/B) that I didn't see before. And its FT GMAT score hovers at an impressive 700, which is higher than some of top 10 schools such as Duke and almost as high as UCLA FT 710 average. Its ranking also has been on the rise.

I am willing to guess that UCLA FEMBA students are higher caliber than USC.PM. It seems most UCLA FEMBA admits also get admitted to USC.PM but not necessarily vice versa. The admission stats probably correlate with this.

UCLA also seems to enjoy more national reputation as a perennial top 10-15 program whereas USC's ranking seems to hover between 18-25. I would think UCLA has better brand internationally as well (Although USC has the most alumni in Asia of any US school).

The only edge that USC might have over UCLA is its super tight alumni network. But then again, I have heard Anderson alumni network isn't exactly weak either.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
JinJJa wrote:
TrojanBruin wrote:
Hi folks,

I need some advice....

First a disclaimer that I never applied to USC and was never interested in going there so I don't know much about the program. I do have two friends who graduated from USC.PM and one told me his USC MBA was a "total waste".

Having said this, I have noticed that USC's on campus recruiting now has few high profile names (including one of M/B/B) that I didn't see before. And its FT GMAT score hovers at an impressive 700, which is higher than some of top 10 schools such as Duke and almost as high as UCLA FT 710 average. Its ranking also has been on the rise.

I am willing to guess that UCLA FEMBA students are higher caliber than USC.PM. It seems most UCLA FEMBA admits also get admitted to USC.PM but not necessarily vice versa. The admission stats probably correlate with this.

UCLA also seems to enjoy more national reputation as a perennial top 10-15 program whereas USC's ranking seems to hover between 18-25. I would think UCLA has better brand internationally as well (Although USC has the most alumni in Asia of any US school).

The only edge that USC might have over UCLA is its super tight alumni network. But then again, I have heard Anderson alumni network isn't exactly weak either.

Extremely Nice Analysis. A similar analysis between Haas and Anderson would be very helpful - anyone care to share thoughts?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
ewmba10 wrote:

Extremely Nice Analysis. A similar analysis between Haas and Anderson would be very helpful - anyone care to share thoughts?

Thanks. I don't know much about Haas EWMBA either and I didn't apply there.

Personally, I would go to EWMBA if I live around SF and go to FEMBA if I live around LA. I would think whatever edge one school might have over another is probably not worth the plane travel between NCal and SCal (obviously many would disagree since people do exactly that).

If you want to live in the Bay Area instead of LA, then I would go to EWMBA and vice versa.

I was also accepted to a top 15 FT MBA program but I chose FEMBA (it was a very difficult choice) mainly because I wanted to stay in LA and I thought PT MBA made more sense financially.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
UCLA FEMBA vs USC MBA.PM comparisons can tread dangerous waters so I will try to give my objective opinion as someone who was admitted to both programs and why I chose FEMBA:

1.) First impressions matter a lot especially when you are making a life altering decision (hopefully) such as going to business school. And just a quick perusal through UCLA and USC's website shows the glaring differences in the effort put in explaining about the program. I will let you be the judge for that. To take it to the next step, the information session at UCLA was amazing especially when they had current FEMBA students mix with the prospective applicants. In comparison, when I attended USC's info session, there was not even a sign in the building indicating that a session was going on and I spent 10 minutes tracking down the room. Again, I use this as a data point because as much as I want to attend a great program, the school should be willing to 'recruit' and 'wow' me.

2.) Application process:

UCLA: Spent a boatload of time preparing the application with all the essays and application. Not to mention an Interview and a hand written note a week later from the interviewer thanking me for the interest.
USC: Spent about 1 week on the application (albeit took majority of the content from the UCLA essay). But no interview, application did not even ask for extra curricular activities. My biggest concern was how the vetting process could not include an interview (or even a phone interview). After all, stats and essays dont tell everything.

3.) Class Profile: I havent attended the classes at either institution but another reason that tilted me towards FEMBA was that they were willing to have Saturday sessions. This is not only a matter of convenience but also the fact that it brings diversity to the class. A good majority fly in and a lot more drive in from around LA. USC's decision to not have weekend classes makes it very hard for students outside the LA area to logistically make the program (who wants to be going into downtown LA at 5pm)

4.) Pros and Cons: Yes. They exist for both programs and I am sure the USC MBA.PM is pretty good since it is consistently ranked as one of the top part-time programs. But again, maybe it was just me but they did not sell me on the program at the information session. The one word I kept hearing again and again at the session was the Network. I get that but if I am spending 3yrs then I want to be able to walk away with a lot more knowledge than just the network.

5.) Reputation: As others have pointed, generally UCLA has a better reputation and in the long run it probably works for what I am planning to achieve.

Finally, when I walked out of the UCLA campus I said to myself "I want to be in this program". Unfortunately, I couldnt say the same after I came out of USC's. So if all else fails with the analysis, go with the gut :)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [0]
Schools:UCLA Anderson School of Mgmt (FEMBA Class of 2013)
GMAT 2: 710  Q46  V42
GPA: 3.49
WE 1: 7.5 years in Engg. Consulting
Send PM
Sanknox...Well said and well written...Mostly exactly my thought..
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Wow, thank you guys for the insightful input. I'm most likely considering the entrepreneurial route down the line.

I am waiting to hear from Stanford GSB, but I am pondering whether the money I would lose by quitting my job would be worthwhile in creating more opportunities compared to what I would get from Anderson or Marshall part-time.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
TrojanBruin wrote:
Wow, thank you guys for the insightful input. I'm most likely considering the entrepreneurial route down the line.

I am waiting to hear from Stanford GSB, but I am pondering whether the money I would lose by quitting my job would be worthwhile in creating more opportunities compared to what I would get from Anderson or Marshall part-time.

For a entrepreneurial track I'd say its hands down UCLA...However, if Stanford calls then I'd choose the Cardinal. Have they completed their new B-School compound their building up there?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hey Guys,

My application status got updated today. It says "Your application is complete for committee review and will have a decision released by the publish date for your round."

Earlier it said "Your application is complete for committee review". I believe most of the applicants got early admission letters, so I am thinking it means a "ding" or is there a chance to be on the "wait list". What do you guys think? Thanks.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, General Management, New Product Development, Entrepreneurship
Schools:UCLA FEMBA
GMAT 2: 650
GPA: 3.588
WE 1: LL
WE 2: USC
Send PM
My application status still says "Your application is complete for committee review" but I called the admission operations yesterday and they told me that my application is checked out for review. When I asked if any decision has been taken the answer was "You will know by June 9th". Which essentially is the same answer as what your application is conveying. I am worried.
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 4
Schools:UCLA FEMBA rnd 2, USC MBA.PM
 Q42  V41
GPA: 2.7
Send PM
nicky2010 wrote:
Hey Guys,

My application status got updated today. It says "Your application is complete for committee review and will have a decision released by the publish date for your round."

Earlier it said "Your application is complete for committee review". I believe most of the applicants got early admission letters, so I am thinking it means a "ding" or is there a chance to be on the "wait list". What do you guys think? Thanks.

Hey Nicky,

I check my applyyourself status compulsively. This allowed me to notice that my status was changed a few weeks ago to what you now have reported yours saying. I am not sure what this means. :|

All I can conclude is that I wasn't admitted with the early admits, nor with the "large group" last friday. Still holding out hope! And good luck to you, sir.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
nicky2010 wrote:
Hey Guys,

I think you still have a significant chance to be admitted. At this point, I imagine they are comparing the applicants with the waitlisters. There are still significant number of seats available (at least 50) and there are bound to be more as more FEMBA admits decline their admission.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
UC Berkeley released R3 decisions today. So there might be some people who might decline UCLA FEMBA.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Did anyone get declined before the R2 result announcement on June 9th?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
nicky2010 wrote:

I'm sure you've been following this forum as I have and know this is not the first time that question has been asked -- from what it seems - there are waitlistees and admits...but no word of any early dings...not sure if that's a good thing or bad thing....

Does ucla commonly wait till the publish date to send out a mass decline?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 175 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
Concentration: Management Consulting
Schools: Ross 2012
 Q50  V44
WE 1: 5 Years at Fortune 50 Company in Manufacturing
Send PM
leahpea10 wrote:
nicky2010 wrote:

I'm sure you've been following this forum as I have and know this is not the first time that question has been asked -- from what it seems - there are waitlistees and admits...but no word of any early dings...not sure if that's a good thing or bad thing....

Does ucla commonly wait till the publish date to send out a mass decline?

Often times the dinged people don't come out and say anything. It's kinda like just how the odds get screwed.. Also sometimes people who don't use forums problem are less experienced with the process.
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14  ...  16