Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 20:08 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 20:08

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 2129 [1]
Given Kudos: 622
GPA: 3.77
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Schools:Chicago, Yale, UCLA, Duke (Withdrawn), Stanford, Berkeley
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 765 [1]
Given Kudos: 20
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Duke (Fuqua) - Class of 2012
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Marketing, General Management, Consulting
Schools:Georgetown, UNC, Emory, GeorgiaTech
GPA: 3.5
WE 1: Product Engineering
WE 2: Logistics & Inventory
WE 3: Product Information & Pricing Manager
Send PM
Re: Dilemma: to what schools to apply first? [#permalink]
I really think you should apply to your first chioces, then move on to others.

I focused on all applications and ended up applying to all schools in round two. I was fortunate to be accepted to all schools and had the hardest time choosing...
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 2129 [0]
Send PM
hwiya320 wrote:
I really think you should apply to your first chioces, then move on to others.

I focused on all applications and ended up applying to all schools in round two. I was fortunate to be accepted to all schools and had the hardest time choosing...

thanks.

I think that everyone has to find its own unique set of applications for each round.
The most important thing is not to end up in applying in round three instead of one. ;)
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 56 [2]
Given Kudos: 20
Concentration: General
Schools:Ross Class of 2012
 Q47  V40
Send PM
Kudos
Pkit wrote:
Hi guys,

I need your advice regarding the application process.

My dilemma is to what schools to apply in first round and to what in second round? I know that the more one completes applications and writes essays, the better the application package is. However, If I apply in R1 to the schools from 3rd and some from 2nd category (see below), it is high probability that I would be accepted, and than I would not be able to apply in R2 to my top choice schools, because of higher competition and because of requirement to pay deposit, etc).
If I apply in R1 to my top choice schools, then my application package would not be so perfect.

should I somehow mix up schools for R1 and R2? How many applications it is advisible to perform at once?

Please share your experience.
thank you a lot, guys.

I have classified all schools in the following categories:
1."my top choice schools" - for me its a DREAM to be accepted there. (examples are HBS, Columbia, Booth)
2. "not my dream schools, but where I would go, if accepted, just because of school's high rank" (i.e., Kellogg, Yale, Duke - are classified in this category due to some reasons).
3. "safety schools" - (some european/UK schools :) of course I am not talking about INSEAD, LBS here)

If such a topic was discussed before, please redirect me.
Thank you BB :).

Here's what I would do in your situation:

ED:
Columbia-Already discussed, can help greatly

R1:
Kellogg-They have a pretty standard application that includes several essays that form a great base for the rest of your applications and can be easily molded into a variety of questions. Apply there and leverage this foundation for other applications. Also has open interview policy so provides great practice for future interviews (at your dream schools).
Duke-A little different than Kellogg's application but could do nicely to round out different essays. Also has open interview policy in October so provides great practice for future interviews (again, at your dream schools)

After these three you'll have a terrific foundation to really put together strong essays should they be needed in R2 for your other DREAM schools (HBS, Booth). I can honestly say my R2 essays were at least 3-4 times better than my R1 essays and all of them were based upon the essays I submitted R1.
VP
VP
Send PM
ACNguy wrote:
Here's what I would do in your situation:

ED:
Columbia-Already discussed, can help greatly

R1:
Kellogg-They have a pretty standard application that includes several essays that form a great base for the rest of your applications and can be easily molded into a variety of questions. Apply there and leverage this foundation for other applications. Also has open interview policy so provides great practice for future interviews (at your dream schools).
Duke-A little different than Kellogg's application but could do nicely to round out different essays. Also has open interview policy in October so provides great practice for future interviews (again, at your dream schools)

After these three you'll have a terrific foundation to really put together strong essays should they be needed in R2 for your other DREAM schools (HBS, Booth). I can honestly say my R2 essays were at least 3-4 times better than my R1 essays and all of them were based upon the essays I submitted R1.

thank you, this is smart to have easy to modelled essays, and just to improve them over the time. MOreover, this will give me more self-confidence when applying to other schools.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: International business, pharmaceutical, bio-tech
Schools:Cambridge/Judge '11
Send PM
I also noticed that my essays (reasoning, contents, clarity of what I wanted to convey) improved A LOT in the later rounds, compared to the first applications I sent. In my case, I applied to my two first choice schools last - because they required the GMAT to be done by the time the application was submitted. The other schools allowed results to be sent a little past application deadline. So I ended up sending IMHO the most polished essays to my top choices - and I got admitted to both.

That said, the CBS ED would probably have been my first application, for practical reasons. And I would definitely try to send in all my top choices in late R1, or alternately R2, not wait any longer.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1474 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Send PM
ery interesting discussion:
can any1 please advice on my list?

DSs: CBS, LBS, NYU (in that order)
Other: Booth, Duke, Yale, Corneel, INSEAD

thanks - greatly appreciated :roll:
VP
VP
Send PM
asimov wrote:
My advice is to only apply for the schools you actually want to go to, unless you want an MBA now. You don’t want to end up in a situation in which you only have an acceptance to your safety that you don’t want to attend, but are tempted to do so. Like “bonethugnhominy” said, don’t dilute you candidacy with too many schools. Successful candidates typically apply to 3-5 schools.

If you dream school is CBS, you should just apply ED for them. You’ll improve your chances, and if you get in there’s no regards.

So here’s how I would apply:
ED: CBS
R1: Yale (Yale has really early R1 deadline)
R2: (1 dream school) (1 or 2 of your R2 schools)

I also would say if you are not accepted at CBS, to concentrate on your other dream schools. Although a bschool admission is semi-random, but observing the forum the past 2 years, I don’t remember seeing any HBS admit who are dinged at CBS.

Look here, it is a profile of gregory he was dinged from Columbia and accepted to HBS. It seems to me that I know him.

gregory

Intern

Schools: Harvard, Wharton, Columbia
Kudos (?): 0 (0), given: 0
GMAT Club Bot