Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 14:30 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 14:30

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Affiliations: CFA
Own Kudos [?]: 142 [0]
Given Kudos: 64
Schools: Columbia - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 710 Q45 V43
GMAT 2: 760 Q49 V45
Send PM
Current Student
Affiliations: CBS '13
Own Kudos [?]: 35 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
 Q50  V44
GPA: 3.3 from top 5 ivy
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Schools:CBS Class of 2013
 Q49  V45
GPA: 3.72
WE 1: Tech Consulting
Send PM
Re: Calling All CBS 2011 Applicants!! [#permalink]
lawgonebusiness wrote:
ED deadline is Oct. 7.

All date info is on this page:

www4.gsb.columbia.edu/mba/learnmore/options
Intern
Intern
Schools:CBS Class of 2013
 Q49  V45
GPA: 3.72
WE 1: Tech Consulting
Send PM
chostein wrote:
However, I'm not sure eliminating the official review starting date will increase applicant pool for ED though.
:P

Agreed, I don't believe that it will necessarily increase the size of the ED applicant pool. But I wonder how much of an impact it will have on releasing decisions. In last year's thread, there were people being interviewed in late Nov, but if they begin the review period sooner, could this mean that the decisions for applications submitted closer to the deadline will be rendered sooner?
Current Student
 Q50  V44
Send PM
The only explanation for the early ED review is that they want to increase their yield rate by taking in more people during ED. Otherwise it doesn't make any sense to extend the review period.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 60 [0]
Given Kudos: 295
Send PM
Looks like I might be reapplying to CBS from Round 2.

I am a bit confused. Has the timeline changed significantly? What's the difference with last year's deadline? The deadline says October 6th for ED.

And what are the two essays for this year?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
I'm currently waitlisted for Fall 2010, and may not hear a final decision until August. Does anyone have perspective on applying for Fall 2011 ED in the meantime? Can I put in an application while still on the waitlist for this fall? Any pros or cons?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V31
GMAT 2: 720 Q50 V38
Send PM
Essay 1
What are your short-term and long-term post-MBA goals? How will Columbia Business School help you achieve these goals? (Recommended 750 word limit)

Essay 2
Please tell us about yourself and your personal interests. The goal of this essay is to get a sense of who you are, rather than what you have achieved professionally. (Recommended 500 word limit)
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Any advice on how to approach the second essay? Considering the 500 word limit..
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 518 [0]
Given Kudos: 31
Send PM
redevil wrote:
Any advice on how to approach the second essay? Considering the 500 word limit..

I am assuming the goal is to find interesting people who do interesting things. I think this essay is great because it really lets you set yourself apart from the crowd by focusing on who you are. Find a way to set yourself apart.

Maybe they got bored with the Master Class essays; thousands of applicants all talking about the Master Class, that has to be pretty boring. I think the this year's second essay is really going to spice things up for adcom.
Current Student
 Q50  V44
Send PM
You can only talk so much about Master Class. Btw, it's actually not that special. Most professional schools have those clinic-like courses, but they just don't name them Master Class. The second essay definitely is the make or break one. They want to know whether you are an interesting person.
Director
Director
Affiliations: Consortium (CGSM.org), NSHMBA
Own Kudos [?]: 249 [2]
Given Kudos: 113
Schools:Yale SOM Class of 2012
 Q48  V51
WE 1: Investment Banking Summer Associate (Boutique tech M&A)
Send PM
Kudos
some general thoughts / things i wish i would have known from my own app process:

- do it early. maybe not early decision if you don't want that level of commitment, but definitely early in the admissions cycle
- go to all their events, or as many as you possibly can. they regularly hold info sessions and targeted events later in the year. check their website and sign up for as many as you can, especially if you live nearby
- reach out to their current students. several of them are part of the hermes society (volunteer group for the adcom), and you can find and contact one that has similar interests as you: https://www4.gsb.columbia.edu/mba/learnmore/chat.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Send PM
lagomez wrote:
I am assuming the goal is to find interesting people who do interesting things. I think this essay is great because it really lets you set yourself apart from the crowd by focusing on who you are. Find a way to set yourself apart.

I think the this year's second essay is really going to spice things up for adcom.

The second essay is probably going to kill a few hundreds applications more than the master class essay indeed.
That essay will make a unique applicant shine, but it s going to seriously hurt the others.
No professional essay, will it mean that your resume will be looked at more seriously ?
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 518 [0]
Given Kudos: 31
Send PM
hazay wrote:
lagomez wrote:

I think the this year's second essay is really going to spice things up for adcom.

The second essay is probably going to kill a few hundreds applications more than the master class essay indeed.
That essay will make a unique applicant shine, but it s going to seriously hurt the others.
No professional essay, will it mean that your resume will be looked at more seriously ?

Essay #1 and the resume are ways to show off your professional accomplishments
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Send PM
I agree with lagomez.

Resume should cover your current and past professional achievements, and the Essay #1 should provide a holistic yet detailed picture of where you want to be in the future.

And definitely yes, last year's Master Class essay is MUCH EASIER than this year's Essay #2 :x

It looks innocent and routine like the undergrad app essay, but not so much when you read it carefully. Still waiting for admission consultants' topic analysis !!! for some epiphany.

Balancing between GMAT and essay is exhausting. I surely envy those who got GMAT out of their ways :evil: x 100,000
Intern
Intern
Send PM
hey guys

For the first essay what timeline are the short term and long term looking at? anything particular? I have just started my work on essays so am completely new to this. Does short term mean immediately after the mba like the job i am looking at or does it imply a slightly longer time after the MBA ? and does the long term mean like 5 years or 10 years down the line?

Thanks guys.
Current Student
 Q50  V44
Send PM
redevil wrote:
hey guys

For the first essay what timeline are the short term and long term looking at? anything particular? I have just started my work on essays so am completely new to this. Does short term mean immediately after the mba like the job i am looking at or does it imply a slightly longer time after the MBA ? and does the long term mean like 5 years or 10 years down the line?

Thanks guys.

I did "immediately after MBA," "4 to 5 years later," and "10 years later."
Intern
Intern
Send PM
lawgonebusiness wrote:
redevil wrote:
hey guys

Thanks guys.

I did "immediately after MBA," "4 to 5 years later," and "10 years later."

You covered all three.. makes sense i guess.. thanks
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 233 [1]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Finance (Corp Fin, Financial Instruments)
Schools:NYU Stern 2009
Send PM
Kudos
Columbia are doing 500 word essays now? Way to pick a trick from Downtown. Guess they are reacting to the rankings saying the other school is doing something good...

While 1250 words isn't exactly a lot, it certainly ought to be enough. The worst thing to adapt to in business school is to have four people write a paper that is double line spaced, 12 point typeface on one sheet of A4. That is the reasoning behind short essays (that and thousands of applicants with AdCom not wanting to read war and peace.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  198