Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 10:38 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 10:38

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Engineering - Logistics
Schools:INSEAD - Jan 2011
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 38 [1]
Given Kudos: 3
Schools:<strong>INSEAD (Starting Jan 2011)</strong>
 Q48  V38
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Schools:INSEAD- D '11 Class
Send PM
Re: INSEAD JANUARY 2011 INTAKE [#permalink]
Hi, Rakham. Good for you for being able to focus at work. I find it super hard to concentrate on my work at this moment. :oops: I just found out that my boss has been demoted and replaced with an outside hire. This change has been really discouraging to my entire team.

I like HankScorpio's approach too. It's probably best to not get my hopes up. I've been contemplating about my backup plans. But I really hope that they wouldn't be necessary.

Anyhow, another 10 business days to go.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: entrepreneurship
Schools:INSEAD (Accepted 11J)
 Q45  V42
WE 1: 4 yrs Fortune 500
Send PM
JZHANG2008 wrote:
I don't plan on shipping my car to Fonty so I will have to find a way to transport myself to and from campus. Maybe I will get a bike but I can't imagine the trip pleasant in winter...

I'm planning on biking, but I have a wife and two kids who will need something more!

My interviewer told me that Renault has a super easy lease program that he and several students used to get cars for the time in Fonty.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Concentration: Finance
Schools:INSEAD: Waitlisted Jan 2010, Interview invite Jan 2011.
WE 1: Banking
Send PM
honus100 wrote:
JZHANG2008 wrote:
I don't plan on shipping my car to Fonty so I will have to find a way to transport myself to and from campus. Maybe I will get a bike but I can't imagine the trip pleasant in winter...

I'm planning on biking, but I have a wife and two kids who will need something more!

My interviewer told me that Renault has a super easy lease program that he and several students used to get cars for the time in Fonty.

The self-confidence/optimism seems to be at it's peak on this group! :-) I hope this entire group is able to make it.....

I also understand that there are accommodation options quite close to campus (i.e. non-chateau) which are a walking distance. So one can save on the car expenses. My interviewer did the same and did not have to buy/rent a car for the 2 periods he stayed in Fonty.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Schools:INSEAD- WL, IE - Apr 2011
Send PM
Feels good to see the level of optimism in this group. I feel really distracted at work, it's gonna be a tough wait these next few days!

Talking about hiring a car, does anyone know if it's possible to convert an Indian Driving License to French without much hassles?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Schools:HBS - Class of 2012, INSEAD,
 Q50  V42
Send PM
hsourabh wrote:
Feels good to see the level of optimism in this group. I feel really distracted at work, it's gonna be a tough wait these next few days!

Talking about hiring a car, does anyone know if it's possible to convert an Indian Driving License to French without much hassles?

Based on a 5 minute google search, I actually don't think it is possible to convert an Indian Driving License to a French Driving license. If I'm not mistaking, most European countries don't recognize Indian Driving Licenses. (I have a few Indian friends who actually bought their driving license in India without taking much of a test, so I can see why :-) )

For more info: https://www.lepermis.com/Pages/Informat/informat.htm ==> "Pas D'echange" means "No Exchange".
Not sure whether they have a page in English though.
Current Student
 Q50  V42
Send PM
tihor wrote:
tihor wrote:
All----for the "can we contact your current employer" question, do most end up saying yes? I can not have them contact my current employer. Thanks for the input...

Thanks for the responses everyone. I can not tell my manager because January would be a bad time for me to leave work, if something good happened :-) telling them now would mess with what work I can potentially do for them.

Another matter, I am going to get my first recommendation from an ex-marketing manager from my current office. She was laid off late last year. And the second rec from an ex indirect manager/ direct supervisor on projects from my last job. Does this sound reasonable? Or does it raise flags? I will be asking my current direct manager for recs for my fall applications...

As long as both managers worked with you intensively and can write you a solid recom letter, I don't see why they shouldn't be fine. If your second recommender was both your indirect manager and direct supervisor on certain projects, it's probably best to position him as direct supervisor. I wouldn't file two recommendation letters from indirect managers. Not sure what's INSEAD's position on that though, it's more a 'personal' comment from my side.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Send PM
Suker wrote:
tihor wrote:
tihor wrote:
All----for the "can we contact your current employer" question, do most end up saying yes? I can not have them contact my current employer. Thanks for the input...

Thanks for the responses everyone. I can not tell my manager because January would be a bad time for me to leave work, if something good happened :-) telling them now would mess with what work I can potentially do for them.

Another matter, I am going to get my first recommendation from an ex-marketing manager from my current office. She was laid off late last year. And the second rec from an ex indirect manager/ direct supervisor on projects from my last job. Does this sound reasonable? Or does it raise flags? I will be asking my current direct manager for recs for my fall applications...

As long as both managers worked with you intensively and can write you a solid recom letter, I don't see why they shouldn't be fine. If your second recommender was both your indirect manager and direct supervisor on certain projects, it's probably best to position him as direct supervisor. I wouldn't file two recommendation letters from indirect managers. Not sure what's INSEAD's position on that though, it's more a 'personal' comment from my side.

Just to add my 2 cents worth...

I dont think it really matters who your recommenders are, but at least one should know you in a business context. I guess they understand that not everyone can be open with their employers on their plans for pursuing an MBA as it means that you're going to leave

tihor - I think we've used relatively the same recommenders, mine were 1) my regional head (boss's boss) and 2) my ex-manager... so both of them technically arent my direct managers. INSEAD didnt make an issue of it though so I think its fine. I did tick the box that it was ok for them to contact my recommenders since my management knows and is supportive of me pursuing an MBA

Caveat; the teams were rather small, about 8 for SE Asia and 7 for N. Asia, so its rather tight knit... and we see our regional head loads... so he's kinda like a direct supervisor since I ultimately report to him.

Just to follow up from Suker's post, I think what is key is that both your recommenders have a very strong feel for your achievements during your career and know you well enough that they have both enough to say about you as well as examples to back them up. This will allow for them to write solid and believable recommendations for you.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 38 [2]
Given Kudos: 3
Schools:<strong>INSEAD (Starting Jan 2011)</strong>
 Q48  V38
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
Kudos
I'll throw in my thoughts here too to help with the R2/R3's. My 1st recommender was my direct manager, but since the application has left the company I work for. My 2nd recommender was a client, but I provided leadership and direction to her team.

To help you out, I have attached the reference questions. You should expect your references to be able to answer these questions very specifically, from experience, and from a work or extremely work-relevant context. As you can see, almost all questions are focused on leadership progress and potential. If they can also anchor to international outlook and ability to contribute, they would be bonus points. But don't fool yourself when choosing your references. If you think you have to coach your reference from the bottom up so they can say that they understand your career progress and focus, then they probably aren't the best person as they can't speak from experience. And I echo the previous messages - at least one, if not both, should be work references. Pretend you're on the adcom - if the only references you have for a candidate are from a clergyman and from a boyscout lead, that would raise flags compared to the candidate who provided their direct boss at work and the earthquake relief coordinator at the red cross (who was the direct supervisor during the volunteer stint). You can see based on the questions below how different candidates will shine.

1. Comment on the candidate’s career progress to date and his/her career focus.
    2. What do you consider to be the candidate’s major strengths? Comment on the factors that distinguish the candidate from other individuals at his/her level.
    3. What do you consider to be the candidate’s major weaknesses?
    4. Comment on the candidate’s potential for senior management. Do you see him/her as a future leader?
    5. Describe the candidate as a person. Comment on his/her ability to establish and maintain relationships, sensitivity to others, self-confidence, attitude, etc. Specifically comment on the candidate's behaviour or skills in a group setting/team environment.
Intern
Intern
 Q50  V41
GPA: 3.7
WE 1: 6 Yrs IT dev
Send PM
Hi HankScorpio,

I appreciate your voluntary effort to collect applicant profiles. You do a good deed for us folks.

My profile, Chinese, 6Yr w/e in IT development, 3 yr as mgr, G:750, GPA:3.7
I am in R2. Please add me to your list. Can i access your spreadsheet? I have +Kuodo to you :)
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Forum seems very quiet.... Does INSEAD notify certain applicants few days ahead of the deadline date? or is it exactly on the deadline date?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
artgirl wrote:
Forum seems very quiet.... Does INSEAD notify certain applicants few days ahead of the deadline date? or is it exactly on the deadline date?

Well I'm trying not to think ybout it... Alumni's told me it was on the exact date. However, it seems that many things have changed in this process since previous years.
Current Student
 Q50  V42
Send PM
artgirl wrote:

INSEAD does notify sometimes before the exact deadline. I received the good news 3 days before the official notification date by phone. (Round 2 - Sept 2010 intake)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
artgirl wrote:

Hi artgirl, I have heard that INSEAD does start sending out their admit calls/mails atleast one week before the deadline.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Schools:INSEAD- WL, IE - Apr 2011
Send PM
Suker wrote:
INSEAD does notify sometimes before the exact deadline. I received the good news 3 days before the official notification date by phone. (Round 2 - Sept 2010 intake)

Hi Suker, did you also receive an official email confirmation soon after the phone call?
Current Student
 Q50  V42
Send PM
hsourabh wrote:
Suker wrote:

Hi Suker, did you also receive an official email confirmation soon after the phone call?

Yes I did. Over the phone they said "You'll receive the official email confirmation in a few days", but I actually received it like an hour after the phonecall.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
ramanathanblue wrote:

Hi artgirl, I have heard that INSEAD does start sending out their admit calls/mails atleast one week before the deadline.

I may be wrong, but the trend I came across (i really needed to do something to keep busy) was as follows:

Interview notifications: start approx a week before the final date
Admit notifications: start approx 3 days before the final date
Current Student
 Q50  V42
Send PM
sinhadee wrote:
ramanathanblue wrote:

I may be wrong, but the trend I came across (i really needed to do something to keep busy) was as follows:

Interview notifications: start approx a week before the final date
Admit notifications: start approx 3 days before the final date

I can second that. I haven't heard about anyone receiving the interview and notification earlier than that.
I got my interview invitation exactly 1 week in advance.
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  21   22   23   24   25   26   27  ...  70