Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 01:21 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 01:21

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 4447 [285]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64907 [91]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63659 [70]
Given Kudos: 1773
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [2]
Send PM
Re: Twenty years ago, Balzania put in place regulations requiring operator [#permalink]
Kudos
I think C is better coz....

A - Not comparing cost in Balzania and other countries;
B - it is related to demand but not cost;
D - Not comparing surface and underground mine;

C and E left

For E, larger % from surface mine, as we donno the change in absolute total cost and total quantity, may or may not reduce the cost per ton

But for C, if we remove the higher cost per ton from the portfolio, the average cost per tone will drop

So C is the answer.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 4447 [4]
Send PM
Re: Twenty years ago, Balzania put in place regulations requiring operator [#permalink]
Kudos
Hello, the OA should be C, here is my reasoning.

In this question, we can assume there are two kinds of mining methods, one is surface mining which needs to pay and the other is underground mining which needs not to pay.
Then we compare the two mining periods. We can assume...

1:THe years immediately after the regulation took effect

The total cost is $400, and the total tons of coal including surface and underground are 2 tons. So, we get the average cost $200 per ton.

2: Today
The total cost is still 400, because surface mining is ceased. However, the total tons of coal are still increasing. We can assume 4 tons of coal . Then, the average cost will be $100 per ton.

Therefore, the OA is C.

How do you think? Am I right?

Thank you
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [3]
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
I don't see the reasons behind why "B" is correct. Could you please explain.

I'll go with C on this one.

Why I think B is wrong:
We are talking about X = [$cost/1ton], Lets assume that they were mining 20 mines before (hence need to fix 20 of them). Because the consumption came down, say they need to mine only 10 now (hence they need to fix only 10). - So, X remains the same, isn't it?
The above assumes, that all mines produce the same amt of coal on an average. Hence, I don't see why X goes down.

Why I think E is wrong:
This one talks about "percentage" and should be very careful. You could get more percentage by not changing anything with surface-mining from 20 yrs ago and just taking down the production from underground mines. Hence, this does not give any information about surface mines.

I'm curious to know what the OA is.
-FM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 769 [19]
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Fact: 20 years ago a regulation started.
Fact: tech not improved since then.
Fact: cost is halved.

Ask for explanation.

A. Even after Balzania began requiring surface mine operators to pay reclamation costs, coal mines in Balzania continued to be less expensive to operate than coal mines in almost any other country.
Talk about cost of coal mines, not reclamatin of coal mines, irrelevant.

B. In the twenty years since the regulations took effect, the use of coal as a fuel has declined from the level it was at in the previous twenty years.
Talks about use of coal. Irrelevant.

C. Mine operators have generally ceased surface mining in the mountainous areas of Balzania because reclamation costs per ton of coal produced are particularly high for mines in such areas.
This explains the drop in average cost. The reason is high cost area do not get to be used any more.

D. Even after Balzania began requiring surface mine operators to pay reclamation costs, surface mines continued to produce coal at a lower total cost than underground mines.
Talks about coal costs. Irrelevant.

E. As compared to twenty years ago, a greater percentage of the coal mined in Balzania today comes from surface mines.
Do not explain why the reclaimation cost would decrease when more surface mines are used.

C
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 41 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
ttar wrote:
Twenty years ago, Balzania put in place regulations requiring operators of surface mines to pay for the reclamation of mined-out land. Since then, reclamation technology has not improved. Yet, the average reclamation cost for a surface coal mine being reclaimed today is only four dollars per ton of coal that the mine produced, less than half what it cost to reclaim surface mines in the years immediately after the regulations took effect. Which of the following, if true, most helps to account for the drop in reclamation costs
described?

C. Mine operators have generally ceased surface mining in the mountainous areas of Balzania because reclamation costs per ton of coal produced are particularly high for mines in such areas.

(C).
Often, more productive technology makes things cheaper over time. But that is NOT the case here. If not better technology, it must be something about how mines are operated when in use, that makes their later reclamation cheaper. (C) addresses this: mine operators are now working locations that are cheaper to reclaim.

(The only alternate explanation would be, say, general deflation making everything cheaper. But that's not an answer choice).
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 4074 [0]
Given Kudos: 18
Name: Ronak Amin
Schools: IIM Lucknow (IPMX) - Class of 2014
Send PM
I have a feeling it should be E. OA pls?

Why not C> We are talking about average reclamation cost. Now if the mining is 'ceased' in mountainous areas then this area wont be considered in calculating the average cost of reclamation.

Why E> If greater percentage of coal is mined now from surface mines then the average cost will come down.

ritjn2003 wrote:
Twenty years ago, Balzania put in place regulations requiring operators of surface mines
to pay for the reclamation of mined-out land. Since then, reclamation technology has not
improved. Yet, the average reclamation cost for a surface coal mine being reclaimed
today is only four dollars per ton of coal that the mine produced, less than half what it
cost to reclaim surface mines in the years immediately after the regulations took effect.
Which of the following, if true, most helps to account for the drop in reclamation costs
described?
A. Even after Balzania began requiring surface mine operators to pay reclamation
costs, coal mines in Balzania continued to be less expensive to operate than coal
mines in almost any other country.
B. In the twenty years since the regulations took effect, the use of coal as a fuel has
declined from the level it was at in the previous twenty years.
C. Mine operators have generally ceased surface mining in the mountainous areas of
Balzania because reclamation costs per ton of coal produced are particularly high
for mines in such areas.
D. Even after Balzania began requiring surface mine operators to pay reclamation
costs, surface mines continued to produce coal at a lower total cost than
underground mines.
E. As compared to twenty years ago, a greater percentage of the coal mined in
Balzania today comes from surface mines.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1140 [2]
Given Kudos: 106
GMAT 2: 720  Q50  V36
WE 1: 7years (Financial Services - Consultant, BA)
Send PM
Kudos
Economist wrote:
I have a feeling it should be E. OA pls?
Why not C> We are talking about average reclamation cost. Now if the mining is 'ceased' in mountainous areas then this area wont be considered in calculating the average cost of reclamation.

Average = (X + Y+ Z....) /N

But if you remove higher values of the set, the average goes down. That's the intent of the option C

Economist wrote:
Why E> If greater percentage of coal is mined now from surface mines then the average cost will come down.

Why? This doesn't affect the average reclamation cost ($/ton).

Increase in surface mines => Increase in Coal Amount ==> But reclamation cost remains the same ($/ton) as technology doesn't change.

Here, C is correct. Example of above,

there are no. of shops sell item at price x,y,z / item. x>y>z

and tax = t%
from shop 1 => tx will be tax
shop2 => ty
shop 3 ==> tz

As shop1 is selling item at higher price, it is giving more tax /item than other shop.

So if shop1 is removed and only shop2 and shop3 types remain in the market average tax/item will decline.

Reclamation cost is similar to tax in this case; mountainous area is similar to the shop1.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 440 [2]
Given Kudos: 166
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 600 Q48 V25
GMAT 2: 660 Q50 V29
GMAT 3: 690 Q49 V34
GPA: 3.2
WE:Engineering (Computer Software)
Send PM
Kudos
Problem with B :
It says that the use of coal has been reduced. But that doesn't mean that mining is ceased. It its quite possible that the mining is still continued and the coal is exported to other countries.

Explanation of C ( CORRECT answer)

Let there be 3 sites in Balzania - site 1 , 2 and 3 - where surface mines were operated .
Let a , b and c tons of coal were processed from the 3 sites respectively
and the cost for reclamation be c1, c2 and c3 respectively.

then the average reclamation cost : (ac1 + bc2 + cc3)/ (a+ b+ c)
Now let site 3 be the mountainous area.

Now if site 3 stops mining,
then the average reclamation cost : (ac1 + bc2)/ (a+ b)

It is given that c3 is very high. Hence the new average reclamation cost should decrease provided the value of c is very small.

But this is the best answer here and we should go with choice C.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 3156 [0]
Given Kudos: 322
Concentration: General Management, General Management
GMAT 1: 630 Q47 V29
GMAT 2: 680 Q50 V32
GPA: 3.7
WE:Information Technology (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Twenty years ago, Balzania put in place regulations requiring operators of surface mines
to pay for the reclamation of mined-out land. Since then, reclamation technology has not
improved. Yet, the average reclamation cost for a surface coal mine being reclaimed
today is only four dollars per ton of coal that the mine produced, less than half what it
cost to reclaim surface mines in the years immediately after the regulations took effect.

P1: -20 yrs -- regulations -- operators pay reclamation amount

P2: reclamation technology has not improved

C: Today : Cost is 4 $/ton as compared to >=10 $/ton before 20 yrs after regulations took place.

IMO The answer should be (E). As stated below:

Just after regulations : Total Coal : 1000 , Coal from surface mines: 100 (10%)

Now : Total Coal: 1000 ,Coal from surface mines: 200 (20%)

Other things being equal , if you are increasing the denominator than the expression will decrease.Here tons have increased ,thereby decreasing the dollar per ton Value.

Plz Advice !!
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30788 [2]
Given Kudos: 635
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
@targetgmatchotu - I dont believe you are reading the question correctly. The reclamation costs refer only to the coal produced from surface mines, not the total coal produced. Hence, the reclamation costs/ton of coal do not change regardless of whether surface mine satisfy half or country's demand or 20% of the demand.

-Rajat
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 497 [0]
Given Kudos: 75
GMAT 1: 670 Q49 V33
WE:Consulting (Telecommunications)
Send PM
Which of the following, if true, most helps to account for the drop in reclamation costs
described?
A. Even after Balzania began requiring surface mine operators to pay reclamation
costs, coal mines in Balzania continued to be less expensive to operate than coal
mines in almost any other country. . Out of scope. No comparison with other country is mentioned above
B. In the twenty years since the regulations took effect, the use of coal as a fuel has
declined from the level it was at in the previous twenty years. Passage is about average reclamation cost for a surface coal mine, not about use of coal
C. Mine operators have generally ceased surface mining in the mountainous areas of
Balzania because reclamation costs per ton of coal produced are particularly high
for mines in such areas.
D. Even after Balzania began requiring surface mine operators to pay reclamation
costs, surface mines continued to produce coal at a lower total cost than
underground mines. OFS: Passage do not mention about any comparision
E. As compared to twenty years ago, a greater percentage of the coal mined in
Balzania today comes from surface mines. Passage is about average reclamation cost for a surface coal mine
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 8554 [4]
Given Kudos: 123
Send PM
Kudos