Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 18:12 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 18:12

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 5420 [98]
Given Kudos: 40
WE 1: 3.5 yrs IT
WE 2: 2.5 yrs Retail chain
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 7775 [53]
Given Kudos: 55
GMAT 2: 780  Q50  V50
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 265 [7]
GMAT 1: 740 Q51 V38
Send PM
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: According to some experts, carbon dioxide is accumulating in [#permalink]
Kudos
DavidArchuleta wrote:
ykaiim wrote:
According to some experts, carbon dioxide is accumulating in the atmosphere so rapidly, largely because of the burning of fossil fuels, that should the present rate of buildup continue, the global concentration of this poison will double by the end of the next century.

(A) that should the present rate of buildup continue, the global concentration of this poison
(B) should the present rate of buildup continue, the global concentration of this poison
(C) should the present rate of buildup be continued, the global concentration of this poison
(D) the global concentration of this poison, were the present rate of buildup continue,
(E) that the global concentration of this poison, if the present rate of buildup did continue,

Is it A?
According to some experts, carbon dioxide is accumulating in the atmosphere so rapidly that should the present rate of buildup continue, the global concentration of this poison will double by the end of the next century
should the present rate of buildup continue = if the present rate of buildup continue
Kudo me if it's right :D

I will go with B ..using "that" seems redundant
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 265 [1]
GMAT 1: 740 Q51 V38
Send PM
Kudos
abinash123 wrote:

I will go with B ..using "that" seems redundant

No, It's the phrase "so adjective or adverb that S-V (clause)".
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 44 [3]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Kudos
'A' for me. idiom.. so rapidly... that.. 'E' 's usage of if is weird.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 145 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Send PM
i THINK IT IS a,,,...... BECAUSE WE NEED "THAT' WITH "SO"
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 3223 [5]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
i pick (A).

correct idiom is "so X that Y"

that leaves (A) and (E)

(E) is weird because of "if" and "did".

According to some experts, carbon dioxide is accumulating in the atmosphere so rapidly, largely because of the burning of fossil fuels, that should the present rate of buildup continue, the global concentration of this poison will double by the end of the next century.

(A) that should the present rate of buildup continue, the global concentration of this poison
(B) should the present rate of buildup continue, the global concentration of this poison
(C) should the present rate of buildup be continued, the global concentration of this poison
(D) the global concentration of this poison, were the present rate of buildup continue,
(E) that the global concentration of this poison, if the present rate of buildup did continue,
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 40 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
I too will go with A. E also uses 'This'
Intern
Intern
Status:Every achievement is not an end, but the beginning of a new jounrney.
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: International Business
Schools:NY Stern, INSEAD, UCLA, Darden
GPA: 3.3
WE 1: Deputy Manager -- Oil & Gas -- Base Refinery Operations
WE 2: Engineer -- Honeywell Process Solutions
Send PM
ykaiim wrote:

Could anyone of you explain this please? I'm stuck up between A and E. :?
Retired Moderator
Status:2000 posts! I don't know whether I should feel great or sad about it! LOL
Own Kudos [?]: 3944 [0]
Given Kudos: 109
Concentration: Finance, SMEs, Developing countries, Public sector and non profit organizations
Schools:Harvard, Stanford, Wharton, MIT & HKS (Government)
GPA: 4.0
WE 1: Economic research
WE 2: Banking
WE 3: Government: Foreign Trade and SMEs
Send PM
+1 A

Dmitry, however, MGMAT SC says that "SHOULD" should be avoided in conditional sentences. Should we be flexible in that aspect?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 152 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: General Management, International Business
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V38
GPA: 3.6
WE:Project Management (Computer Software)
Send PM
I chose E, however I realise I didn't read the second part of Original sentence very carefully.

I was looking for a subject after 'that' and ignored A, not realising that it also has a subject (the global concentration) after 'that' even though in a different for sentence framing.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 835 [1]
Given Kudos: 34
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GPA: 3.5
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Kudos
sunny86 wrote:
ykaiim wrote:

Could anyone of you explain this please? I'm stuck up between A and E. :?

Hi Sunny86,

Let's consider E.
[strike]According to some experts,[/strike]carbon dioxide is accumulating [strike]in the atmosphere[/strike] so rapidly, [strike]largely because of the burning of fossil fuels[/strike], that the global concentration [strike]of this poison[/strike], if the present rate of buildup did continue, will double by the end of the next century.

After removing all middleman, final version will look like below sentence:
carbon dioxide is accumulating so rapidly,that the global concentration of X, if the present rate of buildup did continue,will double by the end of the next century.

Now see if "if the present rate of buildup did continue" serves any purpose in sentence. It can not modify either "poison" or "concentration" but still there unnecessarily between subject ( Global concentration) and verb (will double).

It might be correct when it comes at the end.
carbon dioxide is accumulating so rapidly,that the global concentration of X will double by the end of the next century, if the present rate of buildup did continue.

I hope my explanation helped, if indeed please give me kudos.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Given Kudos: 34
Send PM
seekmba wrote:
i pick (A).

correct idiom is "so X that Y"

that leaves (A) and (E)

(E) is weird because of "if" and "did".

E is wrong because If <Clause>, <Clause> condition is not fulfilled. There is no subject in the 'then' part for the verb 'will double'.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
DmitryFarber wrote:
As others have stated, B-D are incorrect because we need to follow the idiom "so rapidly . . . that."

E uses "if" incorrectly. Any of the following would work:

"If the present rate continues, the global concentration will double."
"If the present rate continued, the global concentration would double."
"If the present rate were to continue, the global concentration would double."

Note that in the second and third examples, we are using a form of the past tense, followed by "would." Similarly, if we are going to say "If the rate did continue," we need to use "would" rather than "will."

The first example matches with A (the correct answer). "Should the present rate continue" is another way of saying "If the present rate continues." Many people aren't going to like this choice because this is a particular idiomatic use of the word "should" that's a little fancier than what we tend to use in everyday speech. This is exactly the kind of construction that the GMAT loves to use to throw us off the trail. If you are highly comfortable with written and spoken English, you are probably accustomed to this usage, but if not, you are left wondering what "should" is doing in there.

One last problem with E is that we don't really need to say "did continue." That usage is only needed if we are contradicting another idea:

"Country X has promised to stop polluting the ocean; however, if it did continue polluting, other countries would take actions against it."

I hope this helps!

Can you please also explain what is wrong in option C
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 7775 [0]
Given Kudos: 55
GMAT 2: 780  Q50  V50
Send PM
Expert Reply
Shubham017 B-D is meant to include C (read it as "B through D"). Like B and D, answer choice C is missing the crucial word "that." If we say "X is happening SO MUCH" and then we want to show the result, we need to link the two parts with "that." "X is happening so much that Y is now happening."
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 346
Send PM
DmitryFarber wrote:
Shubham017 B-D is meant to include C (read it as "B through D"). Like B and D, answer choice C is missing the crucial word "that." If we say "X is happening SO MUCH" and then we want to show the result, we need to link the two parts with "that." "X is happening so much that Y is now happening."

Hi DmitryFarber

Whats the role of "should the present rate of buildup continue". Is it a clause? I'm not able to get the subject & verb.

Thanks
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 4683 [0]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT Date: 11-01-2019
Send PM
Expert Reply
KittyDoodles wrote:
DmitryFarber wrote:

Hi DmitryFarber

Whats the role of "should the present rate of buildup continue". Is it a clause? I'm not able to get the subject & verb.

Thanks

Hello KittyDoodles,

We hope this finds you well.

To answer your query, "should the present rate of buildup continue" is actually a phrase, specifically a conditional phrase.

We hope this helps.
All the best!
Experts' Global Team
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Send PM
Would E be a correct sentence had it used
that the global concentration of this poison, if the present rate of buildup continues,
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 283
Send PM
According to some experts, carbon dioxide is accumulating in [#permalink]
DmitryFarber wrote:
As others have stated, B-D are incorrect because we need to follow the idiom "so rapidly . . . that."

E uses "if" incorrectly. Any of the following would work:

"If the present rate continues, the global concentration will double."
"If the present rate continued, the global concentration would double."
"If the present rate were to continue, the global concentration would double."

Note that in the second and third examples, we are using a form of the past tense, followed by "would." Similarly, if we are going to say "If the rate did continue," we need to use "would" rather than "will."

The first example matches with A (the correct answer). "Should the present rate continue" is another way of saying "If the present rate continues." Many people aren't going to like this choice because this is a particular idiomatic use of the word "should" that's a little fancier than what we tend to use in everyday speech. This is exactly the kind of construction that the GMAT loves to use to throw us off the trail. If you are highly comfortable with written and spoken English, you are probably accustomed to this usage, but if not, you are left wondering what "should" is doing in there.

One last problem with E is that we don't really need to say "did continue." That usage is only needed if we are contradicting another idea:

"Country X has promised to stop polluting the ocean; however, if it did continue polluting, other countries would take actions against it."

I hope this helps!

Hi, DmitryFarber

If the sentence in option E would rathe be

that the global concentration of this poison, if the present rate of buildup were to continue,

Then out of A & E which option to select. Please clarify me.
GMAT Club Bot
According to some experts, carbon dioxide is accumulating in [#permalink]
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts