Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 01:52 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 01:52

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 72 [0]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Concentration: Investment Management
Schools:Columbia, NYU
 Q49  V44
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 61 [0]
Concentration: Investment Banking or Investment Management
Send PM
Re: Columbia Business School [#permalink]
HarvardorBust wrote:
I'll be attending this, and I'd love to hear your opinion on types of classes, clubs, other extracurriculars exist for someone interested in IM. Also if you have any info on the Value Investing program, how popular it is, difficulty etc.. I'm currently an ibanker looking to transition.

I plan to sit for the June CFA Level 1. But any other advice on how to prep prior to coming to campus. We can take this conversation off line since it's pretty specific. Send me a PM with you Columbia email.

Thanks in advance.

HarvardorBust you're not applying to Harvard? :-D
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Investment Management
Schools:Columbia, NYU
 Q49  V44
Send PM
Yeah, I was expecting a comment on that. Created my username long before I visited schools and narrowed down choices. Came to the conclusion that I wanted to be in NYC (professional and personal reasons).

Not to knock Harvard, but I actually didn't like it when I visited. Beautiful campus, smart/ driven students, but I just didn't feel the fit. Too many Type-A personalities, entitled I go to the best school type of vibe. I went to a Harvard-like undergrad and really didn't have that good of a time for the reasons listed above.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi,

I'm planning a visit to Columbia this June. Does the school prefer students to visit the admissions office? I know that some schools don't track visits, but some do and weigh them in your application. Would appreciate any insights, thanks.

Regards,
Aboo
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 72 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
aboodoing wrote:
Hi,

I'm planning a visit to Columbia this June. Does the school prefer students to visit the admissions office? I know that some schools don't track visits, but some do and weigh them in your application. Would appreciate any insights, thanks.

Regards,
Aboo

You should go on the website and look up Hermes. They offer many different ways to visit the school, such as class vists, student hosts, etc.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 70 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Entrepreneurship
Schools:HBS Class of 2011
Send PM
Hi djhouse. Thanks for providing a ton of great information throughout this thread!

Do you know how willing Columbia is to extend the deposit deadline? I have until March 2nd, but I'd like to extend until beginning of April. Apparently, students who get admitted after Feb 20th will be able to make a deposit until sometime in April. So I am thinking it would be reasonable for me to ask Adcom even though I was admitted before Feb 20th. What do you think?

Thanks!
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 72 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
foodstamp wrote:
Hi djhouse. Thanks for providing a ton of great information throughout this thread!

Do you know how willing Columbia is to extend the deposit deadline? I have until March 2nd, but I'd like to extend until beginning of April. Apparently, students who get admitted after Feb 20th will be able to make a deposit until sometime in April. So I am thinking it would be reasonable for me to ask Adcom even though I was admitted before Feb 20th. What do you think?

Thanks!

I have no clue. You probably need a good reason, and I could not say what constitutues one. I don't know how they'd feel if you extend the deadline just to hear back from other schools, but I'm not in admissions so I could not speak on their behalf. Call them, and explain why you need it extended, and I'm sure they will help out as they can.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Hi djhouse. Thanks for the ton of info so far. Any idea of how difficult it is to get an Investment Management internship or full-time offer from CBS?

Thanks!

Originally posted by investasi on 03 Mar 2009, 20:48.
Last edited by investasi on 08 Jun 2009, 00:06, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 380 [0]
Send PM
Dj House:
How's columbia on entrepreneurship?Aside from its master classes and PSI, which other programs would benefit entreps?
Thanks in advance
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Expected GMAT score: [#permalink]
Hello guys,

I am new to this forum, I read the rules and found this to be the best place to ask this question. Feel free to move it to another place if this isn't the right place.

iam currently looking to apply for B-schools for the Fall 2010 semester.

Due to partying a lot, I ended up with undergrad GPA of 2.67, however due to good performance in my majors ( i was a dual major), I graduated with Honors in both of my majors ( Accounting and Economics).

Currently I am a Graduate student doing MS in Enterprise Risk Management from Queens College, NY ( part of city university of NY). My expected gpa at the end of this program is 3.8-3.9. I have passed all sections of the CPA exam. I am also hoping to clear level 1 of the CFA exam before applying for a B-School.

Work Experience:

I worked for 4 years in retail banking part-time, while going to school. I worked as Teller and Personal Banker.

I am currently working in a Insurance company since past 1.5 yrs, we do For-Profit and Not-For-Profit work for the unions. I started as a Auditor, and was promoted to Quality Assurance Analyst. I was promoted again to the title of Collections supervisor.

I want to join NYU part time/full time or Columbia full time. What should be the GMAT score I should be targeting considering my low undergrad GPA ?

What role does Graduated GPA plays in offsetting low undergrad GPA ?

All advice and insights are appreciated. Thanks.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Hello,

The Healthcare management program matches my interests. Does the adcom give importance to prior experience and post MBA career plans of applicants for the Healthcare management program?

Here is my profile -
India, Male, Healthcare Information Technology
7 Years work exp (5 years in a US based Healthcare Information Tech major)
Youngest team leader. Developing research oriented project. Built the team from scratch. 3 clients signed up to buy the product after looking at the prototype.

Good recommendation letters.

Extra-curricular - Designed part of project proposal for a World Bank funded project in Healthcare Systems.
Initiated and led various social collaboration activities at work.

Bachelor of Engineering - Biomedical Engineering (Low scores in first 2 years. Scores improved in last 2 years. I had terrible asthma attacks)
Masters of Science, Major in Medical Software (Very good scores)
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hello to everyone! :)

I am new to this forum, and I have a question about application form.
Recommendation letters in particular. One of my LOR will be originally not in english, and so as I understood I have to translate it into English and then sumbit by mail, not electronically. The form should be in "Downloadable forms" section. But there is only form of transcript there. Where should I take the form from? Or it will come to the email address of a LOR provider?

Perhaps someone had the same problem.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Concentration: Real Estate, International Business
Send PM
Anyone have any info on the real estate program?
Does the program have courses in international real estate?
Is it recommended that you have prior RE work ex?
How is RE recruiting out of CBS, especially with regard to Development?
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 8531 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Schools:CBS
 Q50  V37
WE 1: 4 years (Consulting)
Send PM
When is the deadline for the early decision of Columbia?

Thanks.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Finance
Schools:Columbia Business School Class of 2012
Send PM
ED application will be up in mid august,
check out www.gsb.columbia.edu/
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Applications are available for Fall 2011 entry.

Columbia focuses more on finance, right? Harvard is more consulting, and Stanford is more management-focused?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Schools:IE Business School, Manchester Business School, HEC Paris, Rotterdam School of Management, Babson College
GPA: 2.5
Send PM
Went to a small liberal arts school in iowa, graduated with a cgpa 2.7/2.8 double major business and political scieneces. Relatively active in extra curriculars, RA, political science club, international club, fraternity, tutor for political science and micro/macro 1. 80 % scholarship and worked three jobs on campus. Pretty much everywhere from the cafteria, alumni office, janitorial staff, library
Have approx four and a half years of cross border banking experience, 2 and a half in retail banking ( consumer risk, product management ( asset product- secured and unsecured ), sales in Pakistan and then moved to Dubai for Corporate Banking- trade finance covering the regional markets of Middle East and North Africa.
Contributed over the years for humanity i.e citizens foundation
Just gave my gmat, got a 580.
First Choice and primary choice is Columbia
Any advice, recommendations, suggestions ?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 80 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Hi djhouse81,

Did S&T start to look better at CBS?

Do you know if there's any chance of getting the T part in S&T, or are all the positions generally S-only?

Hope you and the rest of the CBS class are doing well.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6