Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 21:04 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 21:04

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 5420 [9]
Given Kudos: 40
WE 1: 3.5 yrs IT
WE 2: 2.5 yrs Retail chain
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 40 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 333 [1]
Given Kudos: 16
Concentration: Accounting
Schools:UT at Austin, Indiana State University, UC at Berkeley
 Q47  V34 GMAT 2: 660  Q46  V35 GMAT 3: 700  Q49  V36
GPA: 3.8
WE 1: 5.5
WE 2: 5.5
WE 3: 6.0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [1]
Given Kudos: 7
GRE 1: Q670 V370
Send PM
Re: The company's chief executive, whose technological [#permalink]
Kudos
I am going with A and here is why:

(A) were impressive to the managers who worked with her, was also acknowledged as a leading strategist by many people outside her firm, including executives at rival
companies, whose approaches often differed substantially from

(B) impressed the managers who worked with her, also was acknowledged as a leading strategist by many people outside her firm, including executives at rival companies, whose approaches often differed substantially from

(C) was impressive to the managers who worked with her, was also acknowledged as a leading strategist by many people outside her firm, that included executives at rival
companies, whose approaches were different substantially in comparison to

(D) was impressive to the managers who worked with her, also acknowledged as a leading strategist by many people outside her firm, who included executives at rival
companies, the approaches of whom differed substantially when compared to

(E) were an impression to the managers who worked with her, also was acknowledged as a leading strategist by many people outside her firm, including executives at rival companies, whose approaches were often substantially different from that of
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 296 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
Send PM
mirzohidjon wrote:
I am going for B, because it uses impressed (one word) instead of were impressive (two words)

Yeah it uses active voice instead of passive voice but rest of the sentence is awkward.
The company's chief executive also was acknowledged as a leading strategist by many people outside her firm

hence A is correct
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 98 [0]
Given Kudos: 239
GC Meter: A.W.E.S.O.M.E
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, General Management
GMAT 1: 620 Q46 V30
GMAT 2: 720 Q50 V38
Send PM
Good question I chose b blindly ! Like said..passive voice is not wrong! Big learning for me!

Posted from my mobile device
Retired Moderator
Affiliations: National Institute of Technology, Durgapur
Own Kudos [?]: 1899 [0]
Given Kudos: 92
GPA: 3.32
WE:Information Technology (Health Care)
Send PM
Bumping for review and further discussion*.

*New project from GMAT Club!!! Check HERE

Theory on Verb Tense, mood and voice erros: in-a-nutshell-independent-clause-and-dependent-clause-160401.html#p1270476
Manager
Manager
Status:Please do not forget to give kudos if you like my post
Own Kudos [?]: 206 [0]
Given Kudos: 257
Send PM
ykaiim wrote:
The company's chief executive, whose technological expertise, views on the future of the industry, and decision-making style were impressive to the managers who worked with her, was also acknowledged as a leading strategist by many people outside her firm, including executives at rival companies, whose approaches often differed substantially from her own.

(A) were impressive to the managers who worked with her, was also acknowledged as a leading strategist by many people outside her firm, including executives at rival

(B) impressed the managers who worked with her, also was acknowledged as a leading strategist by many people outside her firm, including executives at rival companies, whose approaches often differed substantially from

(C) was impressive to the managers who worked with her, was also acknowledged as a leading strategist by many people outside her firm, that included executives at rival

(D) was impressive to the managers who worked with her, also acknowledged as a leading strategist by many people outside her firm, who included executives at rival

(E) were an impression to the managers who worked with her, also was acknowledged as a leading strategist by many people outside her firm, including executives at rival companies, whose approaches were often substantially different from that of

Its a B for me. I eliminated A for "were impressive" this tells me that its no more impressive.
B. says Impessed which tells me nothing about a change in his expertise, views and DM.

whats the OA?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 107 [0]
Given Kudos: 74
Send PM
Hi,
The correct idiom is differed from hence a is right
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Affiliations: University of Florida
Own Kudos [?]: 2976 [4]
Given Kudos: 630
GMAT 1: 570 Q42 V28
GMAT 2: 610 Q44 V30
GMAT 3: 600 Q45 V29
GMAT 4: 590 Q35 V35
GPA: 3.45
WE:Accounting (Accounting)
Send PM
Kudos
I was torn between A & B and went with B for the the active voice instead of the passive voice. I know passive is not inherently wrong but is not preferred on the GMAT. I also noticed the difference between the "was also" and "also was". Out of curiosity I looked up the difference to see which one is correct or more correct. The following are the rules for the use of "also".

How to Use It - “Also” is used in positive sentences, to show agreement or something in common.

Alice can join us. Helene can also join us. | Mahmoud speaks French. Renata also speaks French.
Leilani likes to read novels. She also likes to read poetry. He is also becoming a teacher. We were also there.

Where to Place It “Also” comes before a single action verb.

Renata also speaks French. She also likes to read poetry.

Except… “Also” comes after a modal or “to be” verb, and before the infinitive.

We were also there. | Helene can also join us. | He is also becoming a teacher.

Source https://kaplaninternational.com/blog/how-to-use-also-too/

Back to sentence and answer choices. In both sentences the use of "to be" is in the form of was. Therefore, it is correct to put the "also" after the "was" and before the infinitive. It seems like A is correct. I know that is what some others had said, but since the OA was not specified, I needed to quell my curiosity.

(A) The company's chief executive, .... , was also acknowledged .....

(B) The company's chief executive, .... , also was acknowledged .....

Hope this helps.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1832 [0]
Given Kudos: 370
GPA: 3.5
WE:Business Development (Health Care)
Send PM
ykaiim wrote:
The company's chief executive, whose technological expertise, views on the future of the industry, and decision-making style were impressive to the managers who worked with her, was also acknowledged as a leading strategist by many people outside her firm, including executives at rival companies, whose approaches often differed substantially from her own.

hi ykaiim,
PLs. provide the OA and the source of the problem
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2976 [0]
Send PM
Quote:
hi ykaiim,
PLs. provide the OA and the source of the problem

As this question was posted in 2010 and ykaiim last visted the forum in August 2012, I don't think a response is forthcoming. I checked the net for any other postings of this question and the only other place this question is posted is on BTG. The responses there indicated A was answer. I think its safe to conclude that A is the OA but I will pm an expert for a unofficial resolution.
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28569 [6]
Given Kudos: 130
Kudos
Expert Reply
ykaiim wrote:
(A) were impressive to the managers who worked with her, was also acknowledged as a leading strategist by many people outside her firm, including executives at rival companies, whose approaches often differed substantially from
(C) was impressive to the managers who worked with her, was also acknowledged as a leading strategist by many people outside her firm, that included executives at rival companies, whose approaches were different substantially in comparison to
(D) was impressive to the managers who worked with her, also acknowledged as a leading strategist by many people outside her firm, who included executives at rival companies, the approaches of whom differed substantially when compared to

Dear avohden & dentobizz
Thank you for your private messages. I am happy to give my two cents on this question. :-)

I searched the web and was not able to find any source for this question --- for all I know, perhaps ykaiim made it himself. I would say this question is a faulty question, as are many questions that generate the most discussion and confusion on GC.

The word "also" is an adverb, NOT a conjunction, and it absolutely cannot be used to link two clauses or two verbs in parallel. The word "also" often accompanies a bonafide conjunction ("and also", "but also") but is not a conjunction on its own. Thus, all five answer choices are run-on sentences. I don't know what the question author was trying to test on this question, but that author apparently did not understand the basics of grammar.

The very best think you can do for your GMAT preparedness would be to pretend that this question does not exist.

Remember, if you can't determine the source, don't make it your default assumption that something in the form of a GMAT SC is actually a good question. Make it your default assumption that a question without a source may not be worth anything at all, and if it generates a great deal of controversy about the OA, then that's further evidence that it just may not be a good question. A good SC question may be tricky, but usually once someone points out the fundamental issues, most people will fall into agreement.

Does all this make sense?
Mike :-)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2976 [0]
Send PM
mikemcgarry wrote:
The very best think you can do for your GMAT preparedness would be to pretend that this question does not exist.

LOL mike :lol: - Good advice! Sometimes the takeaway from a practice question is to not take anything away from the question. :lol:
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1832 [0]
Given Kudos: 370
GPA: 3.5
WE:Business Development (Health Care)
Send PM
mikemcgarry wrote:
ykaiim wrote:
(A) were impressive to the managers who worked with her, was also acknowledged as a leading strategist by many people outside her firm, including executives at rival companies, whose approaches often differed substantially from
(C) was impressive to the managers who worked with her, was also acknowledged as a leading strategist by many people outside her firm, that included executives at rival companies, whose approaches were different substantially in comparison to
(D) was impressive to the managers who worked with her, also acknowledged as a leading strategist by many people outside her firm, who included executives at rival companies, the approaches of whom differed substantially when compared to

Dear avohden & dentobizz
Thank you for your private messages. I am happy to give my two cents on this question. :-)

I searched the web and was not able to find any source for this question --- for all I know, perhaps ykaiim made it himself. I would say this question is a faulty question, as are many questions that generate the most discussion and confusion on GC.

The word "also" is an adverb, NOT a conjunction, and it absolutely cannot be used to link two clauses or two verbs in parallel. The word "also" often accompanies a bonafide conjunction ("and also", "but also") but is not a conjunction on its own. Thus, all five answer choices are run-on sentences. I don't know what the question author was trying to test on this question, but that author apparently did not understand the basics of grammar.

Remember, if you can't determine the source, don't make it your default assumption that something in the form of a GMAT SC is actually a good question. Make it your default assumption that a question without a source may not be worth anything at all, and if it generates a great deal of controversy about the OA, then that's further evidence that it just may not be a good question. A good SC question may be tricky, but usually once someone points out the fundamental issues, most people will fall into agreement.

Does all this make sense?
Mike :-)

Thank you Mike for clearing that up. I cent percent concur with you on that
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 415 [0]
Given Kudos: 35
Send PM

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 346 [0]
Given Kudos: 271
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V37 (Online)
Send PM
Bismarck wrote:

Bismarck wrote:
(A) were impressive to the managers who worked with her, wasalso acknowledged as a leading strategist by many people outside her firm, including executives at rival companies, whose approaches often differed substantially from

-> 'were' (plural) required to go in with attributes of the executive namely technological expertise, views on the future of the industry, and decision-making style.
-> Phrase between 'whose technological expertise' and ' worked with her,' is all a modifier. So we require a singular verb for executive which is fulfilled by 'was'

Bismarck wrote:

We require only a verb here. 'also' makes it look like an add on sentence to the previous. Hence Incorrect

Bismarck wrote:

'were' (plural) required to go in with attributes of the executive namely technological expertise, views on the future of the industry, and decision-making style.
Here we have 'was'. Hence incorrect

Bismarck wrote:

'were' (plural) required to go in with attributes of the executive namely technological expertise, views on the future of the industry, and decision-making style.
Here we have 'was'. Hence incorrect

Bismarck wrote:

We require only a verb here. 'also' makes it look like an add on sentence to the previous. Hence Incorrect

Hence IMO A
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 213 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
POE
C and D have SV error
was impressive
The list is x, y, and z. So the list needs plural WERE

E has the word impression , which is a train wreck

In B - if we remove the fluff, sentence is - - - >

The company's chief executive also was acknowledged

This means someone else was also acknowledged. Who?
That's the shift in the meaning. The sentence intend to say that she was acknowledged also as a leading strategists.

Imo A is the answer

Consider Kudos if that helped.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 306 [0]
Given Kudos: 50
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
GPA: 3.25
WE:Account Management (Advertising and PR)
Send PM
Bismarck wrote:

The bold part is a modifier, modifying the chief executive. So without the modifier, the sentence should be correct.

The company's chief executive also was acknowledged as a leading strategist by many people outside her firm, including executives at rival companies, whose approaches often differed substantially from her own.

'also was' is thus incorrect. It doesn't make sense.
B, D, and E are out.

Between A and C, A is the winner because of the first word - were.

Quote:
The company's chief executive, whose technological expertise, views on the future of the industry, and decision-making style were

Not 'was'.

Hence, A.

Archived Topic
Hi there,
This topic has been closed and archived due to inactivity or violation of community quality standards. No more replies are possible here.
Where to now? Join ongoing discussions on thousands of quality questions in our Sentence Correction (EA only) Forum
Still interested in this question? Check out the "Best Topics" block above for a better discussion on this exact question, as well as several more related questions.
Thank you for understanding, and happy exploring!
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
Current Student
278 posts