Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 15:27 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 15:27

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [2]
Given Kudos: 22
Concentration: Accounting
Schools:McCombs
 Q40  V28
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Concentration: Accounting
Schools:McCombs
 Q40  V28
Send PM
Re: Please evaluate my chances for Masters in Accounting [#permalink]
If your goal is to work for the Big4, make sure you attend schools where they recruit on campus. I'd guess that the Big4 recruit at UNC, USC, and BC. I'm from the Southwest so I've never really heard of Bentley and wouldn't be able to assume whether the Big4 recruit there. The Big4 and even grad schools push students into the CPA or other certifications. Research the requirements for the CPA and plan out when you might want to take it.

Another topic you should research is masters of accountancy vs masters of taxation. I've read a bunch of forums and generally, most people say that tax is a skill and a masters of tax is a way of proving your tax talent. You should look into career paths and try to choose between audit or tax. My schools career services provides access to websites like Wetfeet and Vault.com which publish accounting industry guides and profiles top firms. Try to get access them as they would be helpful in writing your essay and provide more perspective on a potential career path.

If you want to work near your hometown after graduating, then look at more schools in state. Check out the forum for another post where someone was choosing between UT vs USC. There are more replies and details about location. They basically say to go to a school closer to where you want to work (ie within the same state).

In your essay, make sure you have a solid reason for finishing the Biochem degree (as opposed to dropping and not completing it or was it just that late a change?). Emphasize on your accounting courses because the A's help your case and prove interest. Also, I know Big4 hires econ majors (usually grad or Phd) so be able to explain why a masters in accounting and not economics.

How did you get the internship at a hedge fund-of-funds? Was this while you were still in Biochem? Maybe there's a way to link your experience with accounting?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi ael719,

Thanks once again for the reply. I picked BC, USC, UNC and Bentley due to the fact that the Big 4 all recruit from there.

The one thing I am a little worried about now is the biochemistry degree and my previous internships. One of my internships was with Harvard Medical School and the other was with UMass Dartmouth. It seems like time spent studying biochemistry is more of a liability than an asset (I thought it would be beneficial). The reason I continued to study biochemistry was because it was challenging and I liked reading about the subject but I would never want to make a career out of it. Working in the research labs could drive anyone crazy (lack of personal contact).

I am currently applying to local accounting firms in the hopes of getting an internship and getting more hands on experience in accounting while I retake the GMAT. Thank you for your time, I look forward to yoru response.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Senior Moderator - Masters Forum
3137 posts