Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 04:24 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 04:24

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 102 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
GPA: 3.8
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 90 [0]
Given Kudos: 45
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 123 [0]
Given Kudos: 3439
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Re: Baruch vs NYU [#permalink]
thanks for your opinions! the cost is one of the factors that i consider when i submit my application. in addition i would like to compare the quality of the classes between the two schools. i graduated from Baruch and i have friends who are currently doing MBA at Baruch, so i know the requirements. can anyone provide some insights of how the classes are and what the requirements are? thanks!
Director
Director
Affiliations: Consortium (CGSM.org), NSHMBA
Own Kudos [?]: 249 [1]
Given Kudos: 113
Schools:Yale SOM Class of 2012
 Q48  V51
WE 1: Investment Banking Summer Associate (Boutique tech M&A)
Send PM
Kudos
IMO, there is no reason why you should be applying to both of these schools. i know rankings usually get a lot of flak, but this is one of the scenarios where it would be worth it to peruse at least a few of them. stern usually gets lumped in with the top 10 or 15 programs in the nation; baruch isn't even on the radar.

a lot of it has to do with your prior background and what you want to do post MBA. if you have relevant experience in banking or engineering or sales, and you'd like to shoot for a job at a bulge bracket bank on wall street, then you should be focusing your efforts on stern and not baruch.

i think you'd be well served going into the admission consultants subforum (there are several, just pick one of them) and post your "story" to the consultants. include all the relevant info (undergrad major, GPA, GMAT, work experience, post career goals), and they will help guide you in the right direction (or alternatively post back some more info in this thread so we can give you a few more pointers).
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 50 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Concentration: Finance
Schools:Emory 2012
 Q50  V47
GPA: 2.5 Applied Math Major
WE 1: 1 yr proprietary trading
WE 2: 2 yrs global ibank in municipal derivatives
Send PM
I agree with Shadow. Without trying to offend any Baruch people on this forum, these two schools aren't comparable in any way. Baruch has a decent reputation, but it's not usually lumped together with Columbia, Yale, Michigan, Haas, etc like you'd talk about NYU. The recruiting is substantially different, as is the general makeup of the class.

Quite frankly, if you're competitive at NYU, there's no reason you should be looking at Baruch. Note, if you're competitive to get into Stern, there will be plenty of schools with far better reputations that would give you a nice scholarship (Something Baruch doesn't do btw - I think the best they'll make it is 6k/yr in tuition - I was killing time at a college fair in NY and I did speak to them and was told that there are no full scholarships). On the flip side, if you think Baruch is more in line with your stats and goals, your chances of getting into to Stern would be very slim.

Shadow's advice is very good. You need to focus in on your application and see what schools are most in line with what you're looking for.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 123 [0]
Given Kudos: 3439
Send PM
I generally agree with the sentiment but if you're 100% sure you want to start a full time or part time MBA program this year and you're 100% certain you want to do it in NYC, or if you're cost-sensitive and matriculation at Stern or Columbia would depend on additional funding, Baruch is the third-best program in the city, IMO. Also if you want to continue with the same organization or within the same industry and stay close to the city (and you're already in a technology/sales/finance position), Baruch is an excellent option. You can be competitive for Stern but still be very uncertain whether you'll get in.

There are plenty of reasons why someone would want to apply to the program. We're not all trying to make a jump in function/industry/location, maximize our incomes or prepare for some sort of vague networking need in the future. But I agree that unless tt11234 can identify a particular reason why he/she wants to apply to Baruch, specifically, then it's good advice to at least broaden the scope of the search.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
thanks everyone for the advices!! let me brife my profile here. i have been working at a bank for 4 years since i graduated from Baruch College with a GPA 3.78/4.00 and a major in Finance and Investment. i enrolled in the CFA program. i am getting bored with what i am doing now and want to get a job in asset management ( portfolio management) or in investment banking. i might have to do part-time mba because of the financial problem, but i would consider full-time if i get admitted to one of the ivy league schools.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 26 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
i clicked!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Any day Baruch. When investing in education, you look at the value and not fancy names with sky high fees.

Posted from my mobile device
GMAT Club Bot