Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 11:11 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 11:11

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: New York Cares Team Leader Volunteer
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 49
Concentration: Finance, HR
Schools:Stern, Zicklin, Fordham
GPA: 3.2
WE 1: 2 years @ Insurance
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
Re: NYU Stern-Langone Fall 2010 [#permalink]
Hello, all!

I got notification on Monday that I have been accepted! I am very happy (now I have to figure out how to cover the costs!). All the way down this message are my "credentials".

To those who are anxious to hear from the school, take a deep breath and calm down.This was just the first wave of acceptance communications. Remember that the PT program is not nearly as competitive as the FT-equivalent, and roughly every other applicant gets accepted (~50%). So if your scores are decent, your professional history is alright, you have a very good shot at it.

Good luck to all!!

GMAT: 700, AWA 6.0
GPA: 3.8 (Ohio State)
Experience: 4 years in Corporate Finance at two large companies
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Vlookup2010 wrote:
I just heard the good news for Washington Square weeknights - since I know you'll inevitably ask, here you go:

26/M
GMAT: 760
GPA: 4.0 Economics from an Ivy
Work experience: Management consultant at top-tier firm for 4 years

Can't wait to meet everyone at pre-term - good luck to everyone!

Wow, look at your crazy GMAT and GPA and everything... congrats!!! I will see you in September!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
I'm new to the forum, but I've been lurking for quite a while! Congrats to everyone who got in!

Of course, it's making me rather antsy that I haven't heard... will add my stats to the list.

Best of luck all!

GMAT: 720
GPA: 3.9
EC: Mentorship/Alumni Association + school clubs and athletics
Work Experience: 3+ years at a major financial firm
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 20 [0]
Send PM
Upsilon4,

Sorry I don't know how the admissions process works to the degreee that you've asked. All I can say is it is holisitic. I had a 650 GMAT and heard first round last summer. As you can see SternGirl 2010 has a 720 GMAT and 3.9 GPA (sorry to singel you out) and hasn't heard yet. It really is holistic, it's not about a certain GMAT score or GPA. You guys need to stop putting so much weight on GMAT scores. In my opinion you need a complete application that tells a great story of who you are and how you will contribute to stern and why it is the place for you as evidenced through essays, while high GMAT/GPA is helpful it is not the be all and end all.
Adcom has until Aug 1st to notify you, so stop freaking out or it will be a long summer!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 20 [0]
Send PM
Typo....
Meant to say
"In my opinion you need a complete application that tells a great story of who you are and how you will contribute to stern and why it is the place for you as evidenced through essays, WORK EXP, RECS, EXTRA CURRIC" while high GMAT/GPA is helpful it is not the be all and end all."
Manager
Manager
Send PM
The only way I won't be freaking out is by obsessing over the WorldCup. It starts tomorrow guys!! WOO-HOO.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Schools:NYU Stern
Send PM
wow, someone here in the US likes WorldCup, that is good.

I too hope WorldCup can keep me away from my email for a while.

arruhbee wrote:
The only way I won't be freaking out is by obsessing over the WorldCup. It starts tomorrow guys!! WOO-HOO.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
I agree with langone 2009......there is still a lot of time for Adcom to get back to everyone. No need to stress, enjoy the summer....at this point it is out of our hands.

Good luck to all and GO US in World Cup!
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Getting a bit nervous about this situation...I thought improving my GMAT by 60 points and an advancement at my company since my last application would help but right now all is quiet...Just hope the outcome will be a bit different than the last time (waitlisted til jan 22nd and then rejected). Good luck to everyone and hope we'll all hear good news soon!!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
@Nick79: I share the same sentiments... if it's of any consolation to you, quite a few of us are in the same boat.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
ST1705 wrote:
@Nick79: I share the same sentiments... if it's of any consolation to you, quite a few of us are in the same boat.

Agreed...it's just that the idea of going through this type of stress again is really depressing. Anyway, let's just think positive :-D
Intern
Intern
Send PM
ukyo wrote:
wow, someone here in the US likes WorldCup, that is good.

I too hope WorldCup can keep me away from my email for a while.

arruhbee wrote:

... as a matter of fact, the World Cup will make me freak out A LOT MORE than the anticipation over the admission decision. I'm biting my finger nails already! It all starts tomorrow! It's on!!
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
I guess it is expected that 'We-the-waiting' feel a bit anxious. However, there are close to 600 seats, and I doubt if they have sent out offers for even a small portion of it this week. I would really like to know how many offers have been made etc in each section.

Yesterday night I compiled a spreadsheet and profiles from this thread, and there are only like 20 or so applicants with profiles in this thread. Less than 10 of those have gotten admits so far, including ChickenDinner's coworker. So I guess there are still plenty of seats to be announced, and as long as we have good credentials/history/whatnot, I guess we all stand a good chance. I shall post the spreadsheet as a google doc tonight, open for updates by all.

I am still curious about the make up of the ad-com. Would that be made up of second-year students, or of professors/staff? I guess all these concerns are moot anyway. Let's keep the spirits and hope high :-)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
If they say they will notify you before August 1st, I'm wouldn't really freak out until July 15th. Then, I know it really is only a matter of days before I find out the truth. But for now, there is a little over 1.5 months until the notification end date.

Also, does anyone know if they review and decide after each application? What if they just haven't gotten to your application yet? No need to worry in that case. Unless they reviewed your application and put it aside. Yeah, that is when I would be a bit worried.

Lastly, does anyone know if anyone was outright dinged yet? If they are, and you haven't received one, then you know you are still in the running!

I hope my little nuggets are calming you all.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Interesting idea arruhbee. It certainly seems strange someone with a 3.9 GPA and 720 GMAT has not heard back (sorry you're getting singled out again) when I heard back with a meaningfully lower GPA (3.149, undergrad) and slightly lower GMAT (710). As stated the application process is holistic, but those other factors are sort of a black box without seeing the whole application, and all we can reasonably compare on this forum are hard numbers like GPA and GMAT, and a 3.9 is exceptional.

I can offer the following information.

I applied very early in the window for this fall's application (2/9/10), and I heard back early (Monday). If an applicant submitted his/her application close to the deadline, the ad com may not have reviewed it as thoroughly yet?

Obviously, my one data point doesn't conclusively support the possibility that they review the applications in some chronological order based on application date.

To take this idea one logical step further, I think it is unlikely to be done based on alphabetical order, because I have heard back and my last name starts with S.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
gre8 posts every1!!! here's my experience:
I submitted my application at 9:30 pm on 15th may.. and since i had to scramble at the last minute in finishing it up, I made a blunder on my resume. For my MS course i put down the dates of attendance instead of putting my graduation date, which was a year later. However, the only saving grace was that they specifically ask for your graduation dates in the educational section and the fact that I used the same pattern of putting in the attendance dates for my undergrad. I got a email from the ad com on tuesday morning to correct my resume and send them a updated copy. I revised my resume and sent it to them with the explanation and an apology!!! they emailed me within half hour to confirm and thanked me for the explanation and the quick response....

my life has become like a soap opera, filled with tons of drama heheheh lol....
On a different note, my other materails like my degree cert., transcripts, etc. were received by the school on may 17th. i got the confirmation email with the password for the status check page on may 18th.....

i think my chances of getting an admit from them went down by about 95% ughhhh
any comments on my chances of getting in the program wil be appreciated....

drsparnum wrote:
Interesting idea arruhbee. It certainly seems strange someone with a 3.9 GPA and 720
GMAT has not heard back (sorry you're getting singled out again) when I heard back with a meaningfully lower GPA (3.149, undergrad) and slightly lower GMAT (710). As stated the application process is holistic, but those other factors are sort of a black box without seeing the whole application, and all we can reasonably compare on this forum are hard numbers like GPA and GMAT, and a 3.9 is exceptional.

I can offer the following information.

I applied very early in the window for this fall's application (2/9/10), and I heard back early (Monday). If an applicant submitted his/her application close to the deadline, the ad com may not have reviewed it as thoroughly yet?

Obviously, my one data point doesn't conclusively support the possibility that they review the applications in some chronological order based on application date.

To take this idea one logical step further, I think it is unlikely to be done based on alphabetical order, because I have heard back and my last name starts with S.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
I took the GMAT in August of 2009 and sent the scores to NYU at that time. I also had my transcripts all ready to go. I basically just missed the deadline for the Spring 2009 program, so I was ready to go right away for the fall 2010 program.

If NYU doesn't have your official GMAT scores or transcripts I doubt they will accept you in writing. Maybe you're in a pile of "as long as the test scores, degrees, and grades this person claims to have are accurate, we will accept him/her, but we need the documentation first to be sure."

Amitlak, while I think it would have been better for you had the error you described not happened, I think it's promising that they asked you. If the information they had was sufficient for them to consider your admission unlikely, they may not have followed up at all.
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  6   7   8   9   10   11   12  ...  31