Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 12:20 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 12:20

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 5419 [8]
Given Kudos: 40
WE 1: 3.5 yrs IT
WE 2: 2.5 yrs Retail chain
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Kaplan GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 645 [7]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Kaplan GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 645 [7]
Send PM
General Discussion
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 5419 [0]
Given Kudos: 40
WE 1: 3.5 yrs IT
WE 2: 2.5 yrs Retail chain
Send PM
Re: Usage of HAVE BEEN - Kaplan [#permalink]
Thanks Eli,

This (2) is new funda to me. Can you please provide some more examples for (2) case?

KapTeacherEli wrote:
Hi ykaiim,

In the first problem, 'have been' isn't a matter of continuing vs. not continuing; it's a matter of specified time versus unspecified time. In the first sentence, we are given a time cue to when they were motivated: the change was "recent," at the time of the amendments. Because we know when the even happens, even if not the exact time, the simple past is correct

In the second, we have no time cues whatsoever; we don't know if the earthquakes happened yesterday or 100 million years ago. When an English sentences discusses events in the past without specifying the time frame, the present perfect 'have/has [participle]' tense is correct.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Status:Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. It's a dare. Impossible is nothing.
Affiliations: University of Chicago Booth School of Business
Own Kudos [?]: 2377 [2]
Given Kudos: 36
Concentration: General Management, Finance
Schools: Chicago Booth - Class of 2015
Send PM
Kudos
hey Eli

Sorry to butt in. I found this topic interesting. In the second, "have shifted" ---> changes the meaning of the sentence.

tectonic plates have been shifted by earthquakes and other similar phenomena. ---> means that plates do not shift on their own. They were shifted by earthquakes.

tectonic plates have shifted by earthquakes and other similar phenomena. ---> This is illogical. How can plates shift on their own?

I may be wrong, but I think that's a fair difference between the two expressions.

KapTeacherEli wrote:
Hi ykaiim,

In the first problem, 'have been' isn't a matter of continuing vs. not continuing; it's a matter of specified time versus unspecified time. In the first sentence, we are given a time cue to when they were motivated: the change was "recent," at the time of the amendments. Because we know when the even happens, even if not the exact time, the simple past is correct

In the second, we have no time cues whatsoever; we don't know if the earthquakes happened yesterday or 100 million years ago. When an English sentences discusses events in the past without specifying the time frame, the present perfect 'have/has [participle]' tense is correct.
Kaplan GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 645 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
nusmavrik wrote:
hey Eli

Sorry to butt in. I found this topic interesting. In the second, "have shifted" ---> changes the meaning of the sentence.

tectonic plates have been shifted by earthquakes and other similar phenomena. ---> means that plates do not shift on their own. They were shifted by earthquakes.

tectonic plates have shifted by earthquakes and other similar phenomena. ---> This is illogical. How can plates shift on their own?

I may be wrong, but I think that's a fair difference between the two expressions.
Hi nusmavrik,

You're absolutely correct that the 'have been shifted by' and 'have shifted' are different tenses. However, this has nothing to do with the present perfect. In both cases, the 'have' correctly indicates an event that happens in the past, but whose time frame is unspecified. The difference between the other two is the difference between the active voice (plates shifted) and the passive (plates were shifted). This is a key, but independent, grammar concept.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Status:Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. It's a dare. Impossible is nothing.
Affiliations: University of Chicago Booth School of Business
Own Kudos [?]: 2377 [0]
Given Kudos: 36
Concentration: General Management, Finance
Schools: Chicago Booth - Class of 2015
Send PM
hey Eli

Since we are talking about "present perfect", I will like to know why is "having been" almost always wrong on gmat. Am I making a wrong assumption?
Thanks
mavrik

KapTeacherEli wrote:
nusmavrik wrote:
hey Eli

Hi nusmavrik,

You're absolutely correct that the 'have been shifted by' and 'have shifted' are different tenses. However, this has nothing to do with the present perfect. In both cases, the 'have' correctly indicates an event that happens in the past, but whose time frame is unspecified. The difference between the other two is the difference between the active voice (plates shifted) and the passive (plates were shifted). This is a key, but independent, grammar concept.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 144 [0]
Concentration: masters in finance
 Q50  V48
GPA: ok this is the sad part
Send PM
having is progressive and been is progressive, they cant be used together
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 144 [0]
Concentration: masters in finance
 Q50  V48
GPA: ok this is the sad part
Send PM
421. In theory, international civil servants at the United Nations are prohibited from continuing to draw salaries from their own governments; in practice, however, some governments merely substitute living allowances for their employees’ paychecks, assigned by them to the United Nations.
(A) for their employees’ paychecks, assigned by them
(B) for the paychecks of their employees who have been assigned
(C) for the paychecks of their employees, having been assigned
(D) in place of their employees’ paychecks, for those of them assigned
(E) in place of the paychecks of their employees to have been assigned by them

the answer is clearly B. but can u explain me y 'have been' is used here?

Originally posted by roshanaslam on 16 Jun 2010, 02:16.
Last edited by roshanaslam on 16 Jun 2010, 02:46, edited 1 time in total.
Kaplan GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 645 [4]
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
ONce again, it's the passive voice; the base verb is "were assigned by the UN", a sentence in which the subject is employees but the actor is the UN, which makes the assignments. The 'have' tense indicates the time frame (unspecified past), and since we are now using the perfect tense, 'were' becomes the participle 'been'.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 481 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
GPA: 8.4
Send PM
Dear Eli,
kudos to you for demystifying perfect tense. :P

In the following sentence, the usage of "have been having" is correct as per a grammar site (englishpage).

Matt and Sarah have been having some difficulties in their relationship lately, so they have been going to a marriage counselor. I hope they work everything out.

but it is also given that:

REMEMBER Non-Continuous Verbs/ Mixed Verbs
It is important to remember that Non-Continuous Verbs cannot be used in any continuous tenses. Also, certain non-continuous meanings for Mixed Verbs cannot be used in continuous tenses. Instead of using Present Perfect Continuous with these verbs, you must use Present Perfect.

Examples:

Sam has been having his car for two years. Not Correct
Sam has had his car for two years. Correct

by this logic, isn't it better to say :

Matt and Sarah have had some difficulties in their relationship lately, so they have been going to a marriage counselor.

:dunnow

:help2
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 81 [1]
Given Kudos: 13
Schools: Smith '16 (I)
Send PM