Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 03:01 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 03:01

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Schools:Chicago Booth
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Given Kudos: 29
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 303 [2]
Given Kudos: 86
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
Schools: Michigan (Ross) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V44
GPA: 3.3
WE:Project Management (Aerospace and Defense)
Send PM
Re: Trouble Deciding [#permalink]
Kudos
scollette wrote:
I am always a believer of going to the better school and better brand name. Although Duke is a good program/brand name, Booth is undoubtedly superior in almost any business related career path, even if you are set on the South. Go to Booth and dont look back.

Ayz, I'd caution you not to take this advice too seriously. As students from both Booth and Duke will tell you, it depends. If the companies you're interested in recruit at both schools (for the job you're interested in), I think it's a pretty reasonable decision to go to Duke and enjoy the savings. There are definitely some doors that will be open at Booth that won't be as easily opened at Duke, but that's only significant if A) you're interested in the job and B) you're qualified enough for the job to stand above your peers.

Given that you're still undecided on the exact career path you're interested in, you should try to identify the true differences between the schools. Just because someone says "Booth is undoubtedly superior in almost any business related career path," doesn't mean it's true.

I'd choose Booth over Duke if they were equally priced, but I'd have a hard time spending an extra $50-60k if I didn't know exactly how I was going to benefit from it. Keep in mind, cost of living is significantly higher in Chicago as well.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 369 [1]
Given Kudos: 151
Send PM
Kudos
In my opinion, you have a lifetime decision to make. 50-60K should be out of the equation.
Director
Director
Affiliations: Consortium (CGSM.org), NSHMBA
Own Kudos [?]: 249 [1]
Given Kudos: 113
Schools:Yale SOM Class of 2012
 Q48  V51
WE 1: Investment Banking Summer Associate (Boutique tech M&A)
Send PM
Kudos
in some areas, booth has a clear advantage over fuqua. some of these include job placement for private equity, as well as for some of the most highly sought after general management rotational positions. i believe i read somewhere that the GE (?) rotational program only recruits at a handful of schools, including HBS and booth, and maybe stanford.

for everything else, i'm not convinced that one school is hands down better than another, especially given your geographic preferences and the fin aid involved. after all, your school's reputation isn't going to get you a job, it's going to be your interviewing skills and ability that will ultimately land you the job you want
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 76 [0]
Given Kudos: 29
Schools: AGSM '16
Send PM
rid82 wrote:
In my opinion, you have a lifetime decision to make. 50-60K should be out of the equation.

I agree here. If I were you I would go with Booth hands down. I guess it really depends on what you want out of your MBA and what your future plans are.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 36 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Schools:Ross 2012
Send PM
shadowsjc wrote:
in some areas, booth has a clear advantage over fuqua. some of these include job placement for private equity, as well as for some of the most highly sought after general management rotational positions. i believe i read somewhere that the GE (?) rotational program only recruits at a handful of schools, including HBS and booth, and maybe stanford.

I believe it's Dow Chemical that recruits exclusively at HBS and Booth for their rotational program. I hear sometimes they hire from Ross, too. I think they stopped hiring from Wharton, because they didn't like the kids from there. Dang, I feel bad for calling b-school graduates kids (carry-over from BW forums), b/c I'm going to be a "kid" in a couple of years, too. Oh well.

As to the OP's question, I'd listen to Avernusaur's advice.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 123 [0]
Given Kudos: 3439
Send PM
There's some great advice on both sides of the argument here. 50-60K is no small amount, but as an investment, it is also a surmountable burden. Duke and Booth are both excellent programs and offer strengths in certain areas. If you wanted to switch into certain industries and locations (healthcare, the southeast), having a Duke MBA might be a better option. As shadowsjc said though, there are a number of industries and programs for which Booth has a significant and quantifiable advantage out of the gate, but it will all come down to your own personal efforts and performance in interviews and on the job.

Really, whenever I see these School X v. School Y questions, it always strikes me that you're overthinking it. When you applied to the schools, interviewed, visited campus, got your decisions and started imagining your next couple of years, you probably got a feeling in your gut about which school would be the best place for you. Just listen to your gut and stop worrying about it.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
If you are not sure what you want to do after graduation, I would go to Duke. It makes no sense to go to Booth, take on the debt to go find yourself when you have a school that is in the region that you want to end up in.

Yes, Booth has advantages in certain industries like finance, but if you don't know what you want to do, you will likely be exploring different industries and roles and that is not going to get you into some of the more competitive industries that Booth will give you access to. To get into those industries, you almost have to have laser focus.

My point is most likely you will not reap any of the advantages that Booth has over Duke, if you are not even sure what you want to do. On the other hand, at Duke you will have the opportunity to explore different roles/industries and have greater access to the South and ultimately, for less money.

In my opinion, the Booth brand is not strong enough to overcome the issues I have outlined. On the flip side, the Duke brand is not too shabby either. This is not College of South Atlanta or something we are talking about here.

Don't buy into the brand thing too much especially since you are not clear about your future goals. I think that for someone who wants to explore and wants to end up in the south, Duke is offering a better deal.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Schools:Top B-School
Send PM
I don't know your individual circumstances but I do have a friend who was in a roughly similar situation (Duke vs. Georgetown with $$$) two years ago and decided to attend Duke. He just graduated with big loans and still can't find a job. Over dinner the other day, he told he wishes he had gone to the school that offered him a scholarship. Of course, his regrets might disappear as soon as he finds a job so take this with a grain of salt. Good luck!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Send PM
Very tough call -- while it is a career decision, frankly after 8-10 years out of b-school its not going to matter where you got your MBA, more about what you've done with it. If Booth, however, opens that first door in a way that Duke won't, I would go for it.

Good Luck!
Aveek Guha, President, www.mbadaycamp.com
GMAT Club Bot