Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 06:51 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 06:51

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date

How are you financing

You may select 1 option
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 175 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
Concentration: Management Consulting
Schools: Ross 2012
 Q50  V44
WE 1: 5 Years at Fortune 50 Company in Manufacturing
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Current Student
 Q50  V44
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Re: Poll Internationals: How are you paying for it [#permalink]
1. Schools with no-cosigner loans covering tuition+expenses (to the best of my knowledge): HBS, Stanford, Wharton, Chicago, MIT, Kellogg, Tuck, NYU, Ross, Duke, Darden

2. Schools with no-cosigner loans covering tuition only: Yale, Cornell

3. Schools not offering no-cosigner loans: Columbia, Haas, UCLA

I never considered the schools in Group 3 because they didn't have any loan for internationals. The schools in Group 2 will be a tough call for many internationals as not everyone can show 40k in cash for 2-year living expenses. I personally never applied to Tuck, NYU and Darden because at the time of applying they had not worked their no-cosigner loan terms out and basically didn't have international loans in place. Striking out HBS and Stanford in addition because I'm too old for them really made my choice of schools easier and that's why I selected among only W/Chi/M/K/Mich/Duke. :)
I understand that Haas and UCLA might have problems considering their public status and reliance on the California budget. What really baffles me is Columbia's inability/unwillingness to offer a loan. I don't buy that "we try hard but so far no success" stance that their office puts on. I can't believe that one of the top finance schools, which churns out well-paid grads in banking, has strong relationships with all major banks and has tons of prominent alumni in finance, cannot pull some strings to secure a loan when almost all other top schools have put something in place.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Concentration: MC, Entrepreneurship, GM
Schools:Tuck class of 2012
 Q50  V42
WE 1: 2 years market development (public)
WE 2: 5 years corporate finance (private)
Send PM
I'll go with my personal savings...
SVP
SVP
Status:<strong>Nothing comes easy: neither do I want.</strong>
Own Kudos [?]: 3593 [0]
Given Kudos: 235
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
Schools: ISB '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 670 Q49 V31
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V35
Send PM
It will be good to build a list of schools with tution/scholarship/Loan scale....
Has any one started such research?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 137 [0]
Given Kudos: 45
Concentration: Corp Fin
Schools:Ross (R2), Cornell (R3) , UNC (R3) , INSEAD (R1 Jan)
 Q44  V42 GMAT 2: 710  Q47  V40
GPA: 1.87
WE 1: Advisory (2 yrs)
WE 2: FP &amp; Analysis (2 yrs at matriculation)
Send PM
GoBruins, thanks so much for starting this thread, great idea!

sniperssk, not sure about the rest but the loan through Ross covers tuition only, no incidental expenses. Perhaps it would also make sense to distinguish between schools that allow their loans to be used towards the I-20 (like Ross) and those that don't (like Cornell), the latter category making it exponentially more difficult to secure the funds required unless the applicant or their family has substantial savings.

I started a thread in another forum, which is relevant to this topic:

financing-your-mba-international-students-95916.html
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Ariel, the Ross no-cosigner loan covers cost of attendance, which includes tuition and living expenses for an 8-month period. Check here - https://www.bus.umich.edu/pdf/P2_RSBUMCU.pdf

Loan amount: Up to the Cost of Attendance, less other aid received, for the 2010-2011 Fall-Winter terms. Loan amounts are subject to adjustment, based on actual tuition charges per term. Students in a dual degree program are eligible for the RSB-UMCU loan during the terms of Ross registration only.

I find it surprising that Cornell does not allow their loan to be used for I-20. That's makes it really tough for internationals. It seems that in the recent years only about 10 of the top 15 schools are affordable. I have very little personal savings to draw on so most of my costs will be covered by no-cosigner loans.
Current Student
Send PM
sniperssk wrote:
Ariel, the Ross no-cosigner loan covers cost of attendance, which includes tuition and living expenses for an 8-month period. Check here - https://www.bus.umich.edu/pdf/P2_RSBUMCU.pdf

Loan amount: Up to the Cost of Attendance, less other aid received, for the 2010-2011 Fall-Winter terms. Loan amounts are subject to adjustment, based on actual tuition charges per term. Students in a dual degree program are eligible for the RSB-UMCU loan during the terms of Ross registration only.

I find it surprising that Cornell does not allow their loan to be used for I-20. That's makes it really tough for internationals. It seems that in the recent years only about 10 of the top 15 schools are affordable. I have very little personal savings to draw on so most of my costs will be covered by no-cosigner loans.

sniperssk, unfortunately I can't open the pdf file you have pasted. Not having seen the document, I'm not sure whether they have provided a definition for cost of attendance or not. As an admitted international student, I have been communicating extensively with the admissions office on this very matter and I can tell you that you're on your own for living expenses (estimated at just over 8k per academic year) and even then Ross is one of the most international student friendly schools out there.
Current Student
 Q50  V44
Send PM
Just to clarify.

Ross' out of state tuition = 50K
Cost of Attendance (8 months) = 70K
Expense for 12 months in the US plus tuition = 78K

So the 8K they estimate that you need to provide up front is money for the summer when you are out of school. I stubbled on it yesterday when I was looking to finish my student loans.
Current Student
Send PM
Thanks for the clarification, GoBruins. I had no idea they factored summer expenses into this.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
GoBruin is right. Living expenses for 12 months are 28k and you are expected to cover at least 8k. For the other 20k you can take out a no-cosigner loan. The standard definition of Cost of attendance is all costs associated with attending the school, not only tuition.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 46 [0]
Given Kudos: 18
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
Schools:Stanford '12
GMAT 2: 710
GPA: 3.9
WE 1: Wall Street Finance
WE 2: Entrepreneurship
Send PM
kinokosarada wrote:

well, well. arent you quite the baller? ha ha. teasing. but seriously, how did you make that decision? do you have that much money to spare, did you calculate that the opportunity cost of depleting your savings was less than borrowing tuition and investing it or did you figure out something else? just curious.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Concentration: MC, Entrepreneurship, GM
Schools:Tuck class of 2012
 Q50  V42
WE 1: 2 years market development (public)
WE 2: 5 years corporate finance (private)
Send PM
quantjock wrote:
kinokosarada wrote:

well, well. arent you quite the baller? ha ha. teasing. but seriously, how did you make that decision? do you have that much money to spare, did you calculate that the opportunity cost of depleting your savings was less than borrowing tuition and investing it or did you figure out something else? just curious.

I still have to weight the pros and cons, but all in all the 180-200K$ budget I estimate for my two years or 90-100K$ each year (going with wife and child, that's why it's a bit high) won't hurt too much my return on capital. At least I've secured my I-20 with my savings only.
However my bank called me two weeks ago to offer a 2.9%/Y student loan... With this rate it is probable that I will finance at least half of the total amount I forecast using the loan. :) But to tell you the truth I'm personally not a maniac of cash optimization, even if I do work in Corporate finance! I am lucky enough to consider that a few % gain/loss on my return won't make a big difference.

Edit: I must add also that I've received a scholarship (small one tough), so it will lessen the burden
GMAT Club Bot