Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 18:30 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 18:30

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 277 [2]
Given Kudos: 44
 Q47  V35
Send PM
Knewton GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 99 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: AWA, Personal Statements, Sentence Correction
Schools:BA Amherst College, MFA Brooklyn College
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 612 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
 Q49  V32 GMAT 2: 700  Q49  V35
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 612 [1]
Send PM
My stint with Knewton. Will keep updating as my journey... [#permalink]
Kudos
I am the verge of finishing all the Knewton classes. Though I missed a few classes , I could go through them using archived section which is very useful.

Verbal classes were helpful but personally I felt their support was execellent. I have been stressing a lot of the basic grammar while answering the questions in their homework or questions on this forum and they were very helpful in answering all my queries and clearing all my doubts.

My understanding of relative clauses, apositives, sub ordinate clauses , participal phrases and prepositional phrases has improved a lot. Though I am still to master them I am seriously dissecting all their home work problems.

I wasnt even aware of Independent clause+ , + FANBOYS + Independent clause usage when I took my first GMAT....Though I might need to feel ashamed but I feel happy that I learnt atleast now :)

Next Target ...continue dissection of SC questions in Knewton and start looking into Sahil's grammar notes.

CR Target " Planning to go through LSAT CR or Powerscore CR Bible or MGMAT CR ....let me know if anyone of you folks have good download links for these books [please PM me] . I couldnt get the Powerscore score books in India (Bangalore).

P.S : I havent taken any of their CATs since I want to store them for some more time.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 427 [0]
Given Kudos: 52
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Schools: UNC (Kenan-Flagler) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
WE:Programming (Computer Software)
Send PM
Re: My stint with Knewton. Will keep updating as my journey... [#permalink]
acer2knight wrote:
I am the verge of finishing all the Knewton classes. Though I missed a few classes , I could go through them using archived section which is very useful.

Verbal classes were helpful but personally I felt their support was execellent. I have been stressing a lot of the basic grammar while answering the questions in their homework or questions on this forum and they were very helpful in answering all my queries and clearing all my doubts.

My understanding of relative clauses, apositives, sub ordinate clauses , participal phrases and prepositional phrases has improved a lot. Though I am still to master them I am seriously dissecting all their home work problems.

I wasnt even aware of Independent clause+ , + FANBOYS + Independent clause usage when I took my first GMAT....Though I might need to feel ashamed but I feel happy that I learnt atleast now :)

Next Target ...continue dissection of SC questions in Knewton and start looking into Sahil's grammar notes.

CR Target " Planning to go through LSAT CR or Powerscore CR Bible or MGMAT CR ....let me know if anyone of you folks have good download links for these books [please PM me] . I couldnt get the Powerscore score books in India (Bangalore).

P.S : I havent taken any of their CATs since I want to store them for some more time.

i wouldnt feel ashamed.. i didnt know it either and i wasnt even sure how to use had/has beens. When you taking the test? mine is saturday and i hope i wont need the refund :)
Manager
Manager
Send PM
I am in the serious process of dissecting English GMAT Grammar!!!! I literally spent my last 4-5 days including the weekend in drilling through various GMAT Prep questions posted specifically in one of the verbal forums. I was trying to get the grammatical way of interpreting these questions and of course drop in a mail to knewton support asking them for suggestions if my interpretation is right.

Boyyy....there is some serious grammar that we need to be aware of .... and I should really mention the support staff of Knewton who have been helping me tremendously.

Support generally works this way ....

Sent a mail to them and they will respond back in 24 hrs. But I could see the responses coming on Saturday night as well. Great support staff at knewton.

Coming back to my dissection of SC, here is my advise :

Make sure you get the basic english grammar right... and dont worry too much about solving the question . Just make sure you understand every phrase or every clause (BTW, I HOPE YOU FOLKS KNOW THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN A PHRASE AND A CLAUSE) in a complete sentence.
Make sure you can identify what is a preposition, what is a conjunction and of course find out the S-V-O of the sentence. This is very important.
Try to write down the basic rules of a prepositinal phrase or a participal phrase or different kinds of clauses like how does each of them need to start ? What is an apositive and how is it different from the clauses...!!!!

Enuf of GYAN...time to apply this now....
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 612 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Will leave you folks with a teaser :

She was less successful after she had emigrated
to New York compared to her native Germany,
Photographer Lotte Jacobi nevertheless earned a small
Group of discerning admirers, and her P h o t o graphs
Were eventually exhibited in prestigious galleries
Across the United States.

(A) She was less successful after she had emigrated to New York compared to
(B) Being less successful after she had emigrated to New York as compared to
(C) Less successful after she emigrated to New York than she had been in
(D) Although she was less successful after emigrating to New York when compared to
(E) She had been less successful after emigrating to New York than in

How do you interpret this :
Photographer Lotte Jacobi nevertheless earned a small Group of discerning admirers - this is a complete sentence or a independent clause.
, and her photographs were eventually exhibited in prestigious galleries across the United States. - is this correct . Ofcourse it is , comma + FANBOYS word "word" + independent clause.

Now coming to the underlined part :

She was less successful after she had emigrated to New York compared to her native Germany,

This needs to be a dependent clause and cannot be a independent clause since the following clause is an independent clause and doesnt have a FANBOYS in there so we will need to pick a choice which is a dependent clause.

so eliminate A and E

D though is dependent clause starting with "Although" (subordinating conjunction) has wrong comparision at the end.

B carries the same mistake of wrong comparison.

C -> Less successful after she emigrated to New York than she had been in -> has the right comparison in here between after "she emigrated to New York" than "she had been in her native Germany" and "Less Successful" is the adjective modifying the subject of the sentence Photographer Lotte Jacobi and "after she emigrated to New York than she had been in" is a subordinate or adverbial conjunction modifying this adjective.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
shaselai wrote:
acer2knight wrote:

i wouldnt feel ashamed.. i didnt know it either and i wasnt even sure how to use had/has beens. When you taking the test? mine is saturday and i hope i wont need the refund :)

Give your BEST.....HOPE for the BEST and FORGET THE REST ....!!! You should do it well ...BTW , you already have a pretty decent score of 720 so dont worry too much about the score now. Give your best shot and see if it works.... :)
ALL THE BEST ....Do post us your score and experience of course.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [0]
Given Kudos: 36
. [#permalink]

Originally posted by username123 on 12 Apr 2010, 14:11.
Last edited by username123 on 22 Oct 2016, 12:50, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
I am a non-native english speaker and I followed a different strategy before and I couldnt fare well in the main exam. I wanted to approach GMAT in completely different way, so here I am trying to get my basics right.

Seriously you need not memorize all of these jargons if you can recognize all these patterns. But I think you will need to atleast know the basic grammar rules which can make your life easy during the exam day.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Send PM
Hi Acer,

Can you please shed some light on knewton course of the way things going there . I am interested in joining the course and getting some reviews would be helpful for making a firm decision

Thanks..
Manager
Manager
Send PM
sv76 wrote:
Hi Acer,

Can you please shed some light on knewton course of the way things going there . I am interested in joining the course and getting some reviews would be helpful for making a firm decision

Thanks..

Hey I sent you a PM , please check and let me know in case you have further questions
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Strategy, General Management And Operations
Schools:Kellogg, Booth, Tuck, Wharton and Ross
Send PM
Hi acer2knight,

Would you mind sharing your Knewton experience with me as well? Have you written the exam and if so was Knewton helpful?

I am also planning to sign up for the class soon. PM me if that's preferable.

Thanks.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
sunnyrollen wrote:
Hi acer2knight,

Would you mind sharing your Knewton experience with me as well? Have you written the exam and if so was Knewton helpful?

I am also planning to sign up for the class soon. PM me if that's preferable.

Thanks.

Hey I sent you a PM , please check and let me know in case you have further questions
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Sorry guys I was busy caught between my preparation and my job.

Classes to the end of Knewton were a bit dull and less effective. I finished all the sessions and started taking their CATs.

BTW, I was an ardent fan of Knewton support until I got a mail saying that I am asking too many questions to their Knewton. I need to agree that I was asking a bit initially. Though I didnt like the way they put it. Apart from that, need to agree that Lara of Knewton support is a wonderful with her explanations.

I started taking Knewton CATs. Man their scoring is really screwed. You get 5 questions wrong in Quant and your score of Quant reads 45.....!!!!! Got to be kidding....

My GMAT Date is June 28th.....

Knewton Diag : 710
Knewton CAT 1 : 680 (Verbal - 8 mistakes gave me 33 in Verbal and 5 mistakes gave me 48 in Quant)
Knewton CAT 2 : 710 (Verbal - 8 mistakes gave me 35 in Verbal and 2 mistakes gave me 51 in Quant)
Knewton CAT 3 : 680 (Verbal - 9 mistakes gave me 38 in Verbal and 5 mistakes gave me 45 in Quant)
GMAT Prep : 750
GMAT Prep 2 : 770
GMAT Prep 1 (Repeat) : 780
Knewton CAT 3 : 720 (Verbal - 3 mistakes gave me 36 in Verbal and 2 mistakes gave me 51 in Quant) - Took it today
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [0]
Given Kudos: 36
. [#permalink]

Originally posted by username123 on 19 Jun 2010, 10:26.
Last edited by username123 on 22 Oct 2016, 13:48, edited 1 time in total.
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72859 [0]
Given Kudos: 18857
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Expert Reply
Thank you for the feedback - that's great to know.
When is the big day?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Hey bb, its on June 28th.

@ username :

Ya I dont want to read too much into GMAT Prep scores though. A few questions that you already see on forums keep repeating .... but knewton CAT verbal section is a good estimator though. I have a OG kind of explanation notes prepared myself for Old GMAT Prep questions around 130-140 questions with the help of Knewton support. So I dont want to say they gave me a bad customer experience.

May be the student enrollments have picked up and they might be feeling the heat now... :)
Manager
Manager
Send PM
bb wrote:
Thank you for the feedback - that's great to know.
When is the big day?

Hey BB,

Need a suggestion :

Finished my GMAT yesterday scored 710. I am not sure if I should be happy with this or feel bad.

Will have 6 years of experience by the time I join 2012 class (if I get thru and etc etc)

Profile : Pre-Sales/ Telecom

3 years of International Experience (American Express @ US)

Currently working for Nokia R&D

How do you see my chances for ISB or colleges in Top 20?
SVP
SVP
Status:<strong>Nothing comes easy: neither do I want.</strong>
Own Kudos [?]: 3593 [0]
Given Kudos: 235
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
Schools: ISB '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 670 Q49 V31
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V35
Send PM
Congrats 710 is a good score.