Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 05:19 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 05:19

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 155 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Strategy, Management, Finance
Schools:Chicago Booth 2011
 Q50  V47
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 349 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Schools:Chicago Booth '11
 Q50  V38
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Strategy, Finance, Entrepreneurship
Schools:Chicago Booth, Class of 2011
 Q49  V39
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 59 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Send PM
Re: I-banking recruiting at Booth [#permalink]
Wow, if only half are getting internships in IB, and they all are gunning for IB...that's really tough, especially since the students that are admitted to Booth are already top notch candidates.

I am not sure if I am missing something here, but I am assuming most of the Booth students would know how to interview, and network. So it really comes down to the banks cherry picking. Half of 75 is less then the number of people entering Booth with prior finance background, which would almost imply that career changers would have a harder time landing IB jobs.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 222 [0]
Given Kudos: 31
Concentration: Healthcare, Strategy, MC
Schools:Kellogg '11
Send PM
thanks!! +1
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 33 [0]
Concentration: Finance
Schools:Stanford R1, Wharton R1 w/int, Chicago R1, HBS R2
Send PM
Anyone have an idea how IB recruiting went at Booth this past cycle? Hopefully somewhat better than the '09 recruiting cycle, but things still seem pretty slow.

Also, what do you guys think about simultaneously recruiting for IB and IM? Is this even possible, or are the hours required to do all the networking events for one or the other just too demanding? Also, does it raise concerns if you're recruiting with the banks but you're also involved with the IM group on campus?? I suppose I really just need to figure out which I want to focus on this summer before I get out there - but it's really a tough choice.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 233 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Finance (Corp Fin, Financial Instruments)
Schools:NYU Stern 2009
Send PM
jankynoname wrote:
Also, what do you guys think about simultaneously recruiting for IB and IM? Is this even possible, or are the hours required to do all the networking events for one or the other just too demanding? Also, does it raise concerns if you're recruiting with the banks but you're also involved with the IM group on campus?? I suppose I really just need to figure out which I want to focus on this summer before I get out there - but it's really a tough choice.

You have two resumes, listing applicable clubs and focusing on the more important items.

Recruiting IM and IB will be hard or impossible, depending on what IM you want. Not much IM recruiting is in the fall, so you already can't do a lot of it as your offer from an IB will expire before they even start looking in IM. There are one or two in the fall but I wouldn't fancy your chances. Given the small number of IM jobs, being 50/50 on IB and IM won't be enough for IM, and others will likely get the job (unless you are spectacular in some way). You can get into IB simply by being good at networking and smart as the capacity to recruit is there.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 33 [0]
Concentration: Finance
Schools:Stanford R1, Wharton R1 w/int, Chicago R1, HBS R2
Send PM
Thanks.

Yeah. That's what I was afraid of... I think no matter what, as a career changer I'm going to face an uphill battle to get into either industry, so I'll likely need to commit all my energy to one or the other. It just scares me that six months ago I was dead sure I wanted to do IM, and now already (before school even starts) I'm beginning to rethink that.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
Schools:Chicago Booth 2011
 Q49  V36
Send PM
I didn't recruite for IB, but I had this feeling that IB recruiting at Booth was relatively good this year. If you are a current or admitted student, you have access to very detailed info on internship (you can see who is going to which company). I briefly went through the list once and many BB banks poped up. I think there were close to 20ppl going to JPM alone. I didnt distinguish between IB or ST jobs, but if you are interested and have access to that data, take a look!

I think MC fared worse compared to IB.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
Math Expert
92901 posts
GMAT Tutor
1907 posts