Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 04:05 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 04:05

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
MBA Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 99 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Finance, Marketing, Strategy, Entrepreneurship
Schools:University of Chicago, Columbia, Wharton, Stanford, Harvard, Cornell, NYU, Duke, Indiana
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Schools: University of Toronto (Rotman) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V44
GPA: 2.57
Send PM
Re: Ask Admit World/My MBA Admit [#permalink]
Canadian Citizen
undergrad: Engineering, University of Toronto
gpa: 2.57

GMAT: 740 (verbal 97th percentile, quant 83 percentile). Considering retake to make up for bad gpa, is this good idea?

work experience: 2 years teaching English in Asia. Teaching business English to adult professionals in a major business district.

Also, trying to negotiate a job contract for one or two years, to work in project management in the Persian Gulf, for a large construction company. Would this experience significantly improve my b-school application chances in a year or two?

Thanks in advance for your advice.
Manager
Manager
Given Kudos: 40
Send PM
Hi all, would really appreciate some feedback on my application potential. Thanks in advance.

Background
Sex: Male
Nationality: Irish
UG: Bachelor of Commerce from University College Dublin (top Irish UG business degree). Final year concentration Marketing. 3.7/4 GPA.
Additional Education: Earned CAIA designation in April 2010 (Chartered Alternative Investment Analyst)
GMAT: Taking in September for first time. Realistically aiming for 660 - 710

Work Experience
- Hedge Fund Accountant since graduation
-2 years and 9 months with the global leader in Hedge Fund financial sercvices, Dublin, Ireland.
-Led several internal process innovation initiatives. One effectively reducing Audit times per fund over 15% in one year and another generating $450K in company and client savings.
- Independently performed net asset valuations on several funds worth almost $800MM.
- Point of contact for investor relations department, investment managers, banks and custodians.

Extracurricular Activities
(weak)
- Involved with societies during my UG, none in a leadership context unfortunately.
- I paid for my own education and rarely had time outside studying and working part time for many extracurriculars. I'm currently trying to remedy this aspect of my application.

Additional Info:
- Extensive travelling: A lot in Europe. Also sourced a house and 6 jobs for friends in 2006 when we worked in long island for 3 months.
- Intermediate French and Fluent Irish (like anyone uses that!).

Post MBA
- Torn between general strategy consulting and using my marketing/financial services/Alternative Investment background to pursue marketing and sales positions in the banking industry. I have a passion for marketing and consulting.
- Much less interested in purely quant driven roles.

Target Schools
McCombs would be my #1 target for several reasons. I am looking into other schools at the moment including Cambridge and Oxford business schools.

Weakness in application:
- I'm at the early stages of application and I have a lot more research to perform
- Outside of internal leadership in process efficiency, I have not let a team of people or had anyone reporting directly to me.
- My extracurricular in general is weak.
- My education (marketing), work experience (AI financial services) and post MBA aspirations (general consulting) are not in any way providing a clear and concise picture of my career direction and ambitions. The only thing that would seem to make sense is Marketing in financial services.

Questions
1. Any general advice is very much appreciated. In particular, feedback concerning my application to McCombs would be great.
2. I realise the entire application is on the weak side, is there anything I can include in certain areas, or do going forward, to strengthen my application.
3. What do you think about my top 3 school selections?

Thank you very much for your time, if you need any additional information, please let me know.
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Hi,

Request your help with my profile evaluation.

Nationality : Indian
Experience : 4
GMAT : 1st Attempt - 700 (51Q, 32 V, 5.0 AWA). Feb’09
2nd Attempt - 710 (50Q, 35V, 4.5 AWA). Apr’10
Undergrad : B.Tech in Computer Science from Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) Roorkee.
Currently pursuing CFA. Written L1 in June 2010, results awaited.

Areas of Interest: Finance –Investment Services/Portfolio Management

Experience details (Total Exp – 4yrs. Employer – Citi India)
1. 2010 Mar – Now: Implementation Manager – Consumer & Commercial Banking – Customer Servicing Channels.
2. 2009-10 – Implementation Manager – Consumer Banking – Credit Initiation (Card, Unsecured Loans & Secured Loans/Lines)
3. 2006-2008 – Business Analyst & Project Manager – Sales & Credit
International Exposure:
1. Business/Cross Team Interaction – Worked for CitiFinancial India, Thailand & Indonesia. And Citibank Singapore, Philippines, Guam, Malaysia, Indonesia and North America.
2. International Travel – Travelled for implementation work to Singapore, Philippines & Malaysia.
Extracurricular:
@college:
• Member of the Executive Council (7 members) of SAC (Students Association Council).
o Received the highest votes for the post of General Secretary in Student Body election, although lost in a lucky draw to resolve the tie.
• Won the 2nd prize in the National Level Business Plan Competition – Corpostrat
• Treasurer of Hobbies Club Festival – Srishti’06. Event initially funded by institute, we made it self-funded with sponsorship around INR 500000, in spite of the fact that festival was held in April just after our Cultural and Technical fest and Financial year end. Conducted workshops by International Speakers and other events to take the festival to new heights.
@work:• Rated ‘1/Outstanding’ in 2 out of 4 appraisals during my tenure in Citi and ‘2/Excellent’ for the rest 2.
• Identified as a HIPO (High Potential Employee).
• Youngest employee to be designated Solution Architect and made an Approver for all high impact requirements of CitiFinancial India, Indo & Thai business.
• Ran collection programs in collaboration with NGO – Goonj and Coordinate donations (Clothes, books, etc) from office colleagues and housing society.

Target Colleges:
- Harvard
- MIT Sloan
- NYU Stern
- Haas
- Ross
- Darden
- Duke Fuqua

I need to shortlist this to 5 colleges. Would be great if you can tag my chances in these. Only criterion for college is great finance faculty & resources, should be in US, Good Alumni network, Scholarship would be an icing on the cake 

Thank you!
Schools:University of Chicago, Columbia, Wharton, Stanford, Harvard, Cornell, NYU, Duke, Indiana
Send PM
becarev wrote:
Canadian Citizen
undergrad: Engineering, University of Toronto
gpa: 2.57

GMAT: 740 (verbal 97th percentile, quant 83 percentile). Considering retake to make up for bad gpa, is this good idea?

work experience: 2 years teaching English in Asia. Teaching business English to adult professionals in a major business district.

Also, trying to negotiate a job contract for one or two years, to work in project management in the Persian Gulf, for a large construction company. Would this experience significantly improve my b-school application chances in a year or two?

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Hi becarev,

Thanks for scheduling a Free Initial Consultation with us. You have an unusual profile and it was a pleasure to help you think through the business school application process and position your MBA candidacy.

Also, thanks for purchasing our MBA Candidate Profiling and Business School Selection report. We are working on your report now.

If you have any follow up questions, reach out us to anytime, any day of the week, at MBAConsult@MyMBAAdmit.com or check us out at MyMBAAdmit.com
Own Kudos [?]: 99 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Rux10 wrote:
Hi all, would really appreciate some feedback on my application potential. Thanks in advance.

Background
Nationality: Irish
UG: Bachelor of Commerce from University College Dublin (top Irish UG business degree). Final year concentration Marketing. 3.7/4 GPA.
Additional Education: Earned CAIA designation in April 2010 (Chartered Alternative Investment Analyst)
GMAT: Taking in September for first time. Realistically aiming for 660 - 710

Work Experience
- Hedge Fund Accountant since graduation
-2 years and 9 months with the global leader in Hedge Fund financial sercvices, Dublin, Ireland.
-Led several internal process innovation initiatives. One effectively reducing Audit times per fund over 15% in one year and another generating $450K in company and client savings.
- Independently performed net asset valuations on several funds worth almost $800MM.
- Point of contact for investor relations department, investment managers, banks and custodians.

Extracurricular Activities
(weak)
- Involved with societies during my UG, none in a leadership context unfortunately.
- I paid for my own education and rarely had time outside studying and working part time for many extracurriculars. I'm currently trying to remedy this aspect of my application.

Additional Info:
- Extensive travelling: A lot in Europe. Also sourced a house and 6 jobs for friends in 2006 when we worked in long island for 3 months.
- Intermediate French and Fluent Irish (like anyone uses that!).

Post MBA
- Torn between general strategy consulting and using my marketing/financial services/Alternative Investment background to pursue marketing and sales positions in the banking industry. I have a passion for marketing and consulting.
- Much less interested in purely quant driven roles.

Target Schools
McCombs would be my #1 target for several reasons. I am looking into other schools at the moment including Cambridge and Oxford business schools.

Weakness in application:
- I'm at the early stages of application and I have a lot more research to perform
- Outside of internal leadership in process efficiency, I have not let a team of people or had anyone reporting directly to me.
- My extracurricular in general is weak.
- My education (marketing), work experience (AI financial services) and post MBA aspirations (general consulting) are not in any way providing a clear and concise picture of my career direction and ambitions. The only thing that would seem to make sense is Marketing in financial services.

Questions
1. Any general advice is very much appreciated. In particular, feedback concerning my application to McCombs would be great.
2. I realise the entire application is on the weak side, is there anything I can include in certain areas, or do going forward, to strengthen my application.
3. What do you think about my top 3 school selections?

Thank you very much for your time, if you need any additional information, please let me know.

Hi Rux10,

Thank you for scheduling a Free Initial Consultation with us. I have just sent you the appointment email.

I have gone through your profile here in preparation of our discussion, and will be happy to do a quick review of your resume as well. If you have any other questions besides the ones mentioned in your message above, feel free to bring them up during our Free Initial Consultation.

If you have any follow up questions, reach out to us anytime, any day of the week, at MBAConsult@MyMBAAdmit.com or check us out at MyMBAAdmit.com
Send PM
Kudos
"How do I build a stronger MBA application?"

As an MBA admissions consultant, I often get asked this question in our Free Initial Consultations. Hope this post helps answer the most common query across business school applicants.

My viewpoint comes from advising graduate applicants since 2004, my experience in both undergraduate and graduate admissions, and being admitted to multiple top business schools during my own MBA application process.

MBA applicants are viewed from three perspectives by a business school admissions committee - academic, professional and personal.

The academic part of your profile allows for the most transparent metrics with easy comparison to your competition. These include your GPA (both Bachelor's and from potentially another Master's degree) and GMAT score. If one of these is not within the average range at your target school, I would advise you to focus on making the other metric stronger. For example, I regularly come across clients who either have a low undergraduate GPA or aren't very strong standardized test takers, and end up with a low GMAT score. In this case, you can assuage doubts on your academic abilities and thus strengthen your application through a stronger GPA/GMAT, as applicable. If either of these is a concern in your application, we also offer a Transcript Review and GMAT Consultation as part of all our Business School Admissions Packages, wherein our advice on steps to improve your academic profile is tailored to the specific courses making up your GPA or sections of the GMAT.

The professional part of your profile is composed of all your pre-MBA work experience, including full-time, part-time and internships. The point of focus here is not just a summary list of all that you have done, but how this is applicable to your business school experience and your stated post-MBA ambitions. For example, I frequently advise engineering/IT clients to demonstrate soft skills and personal attributes such as teamwork and communication through their essays and resume, while those with more creative/entrepreneurial/non-traditional backgrounds would be well-advised to showcase their analytical and quantitative abilities. Not having enough leadership experience is frequently a concern, especially for younger clients. With our help, business school applications can be appropriately positioned to demonstrate this through a combination of project and title leadership. At My MBA Admit, we start our MBA Admissions Consulting packages with an extensive discussion of your experiences and how they might be best positioned to demonstrate your strengths and mitigate any weaknesses, especially in light of the specific requirements of a particular school.

Finally, your personal profile is a combination of all the activities that help set you apart, in terms of all your life experiences, volunteer involvement and extracurricular activities. In other words, this is the most flexible section to demonstrate your comparative advantage against your competition for everything that you have done outside the requirements of work and school. Examples that past clients have shown include backpacking through Europe, a stint in the military, a lifetime of volunteering activities and independently rising up from humble origins. I often have MBA application clients say, "but we don't have enough extracurricular experience." This is why the business school application consulting approach that I have developed includes Application Strategy, Examples Selection and Positioning Guidance. In this, we identify both your positives and opportunities, review your complete profile for appropriate examples, and help you position them to mitigate a weakness or highlight a strength.

All the best with your business school applications! An MBA is truly a life-changing experience.

If you like this post, do give us a Kudos (click on the +1 box on the left). Much appreciated!

For a Free Initial Consultation on your profile, check us out at My MBA Admit:MBA Admissions Consulting or email us at MBAConsult@MyMBAAdmit.com.
Manager
Manager
Given Kudos: 40
Send PM
Hi,

Just want to say thanks for the free consultation earlier! It was very insightful and I have a much better idea of my application strengths and how to position myself better. Kudos +1!
Send PM
Rux10 wrote:
Hi,

Just want to say thanks for the free consultation earlier! It was very insightful and I have a much better idea of my application strengths and how to position myself better. Kudos +1!

You are very welcome! It was our pleasure to help. All the best for the GMAT. Email us at MBAConsult@MyMBAAdmit.com when you are ready to start building your MBA application.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Well I am an MBA aspirant from Mumbai, India
GMAT : 600 ( Q 44, V28)
GPA : 3.5
Graduation : Production Engineering ( Among top 3 rankers in Pune University)
Work Experience : 3 years for a major Indian Company
Extra Cirricular : Represented State for Soccer , Badminton and Hockey.

What are the prospects of me getting addmission??

Regards

Ank
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Concentration: Real Estate, International Business
Send PM
Nationality: American (South Asian)
GMAT: 660 (Q:46 V:35) (Retake will be on August 25th.)
GPA: 3.7 (Top 10 undergrad business program)
Work Ex: 16 months as an Investments Analyst (~30 months by Fall 2011)
EC: Lots of volunteer work (humans and animals, some teaching stuff too).

School Choices:
Columbia, Wharton, Northwestern, Harvard (from first to last choice). I'm planning on applying to Columbia and Wharton in R1 and Northwestern and Harvard in R2.

In terms of my work ex, I've been working for a multi-billion dollar real estate developer in the Persian Gulf. Even though my company is a real estate development firm, we operate like a P/E firm so I've been exposed to the P/E side of investments as well. Most of my work, however, deals with real estate development, asset/property management, real estate investments/finance...basically everything there is to see in real estate except for starting and managing your own real estate fund. I've worked on deals involving every type of asset class available in real estate (from undeveloped land to hotels), and I've worked on deals that range from 8-10 figures (in US Dollars).

Long story short, I've had exposure to some huge projects that you normally wouldn't get the chance to work on in the US or in Europe and I've worked on a variety of different types of asset classes and investments within real estate. My involvement on these deals is much greater than the average analyst, and it shows in my knowledge of the real estate industry in not just the Middle East, but in Europe, Asia, and the US. So even though my work ex is a little light, I've probably done more than my peers in the US have.

I know that I want to do real estate finance for the rest of my life, and I'm very familiar with the real estate finance program at Columbia. I plan on visiting Columbia next week on Monday, but I've been in talks with some CBS alums within the real estate industry. From what they've told me, it sounds like a great place to be if you want to do something in real estate. I've also heard very good things about Wharton's RE program, but I'm still doing my DD on the school.

Anyway, thanks for taking the time to read through my profile.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi,

Request to please evaluate my profile for the TOP 10 Leading B Schools (including India and US).

Work Experience : 6.5 years in IT industry in India with one of the Top MNCs here (This is my second company, the earlier being another top MNC in India). Have around 1.5+ years of Overseas exposure (in USA and Canada) as Technical Analyst and was involved in Client interaction and technical negotiations. Throughout my professional career I was involved in different projects and served high profile Global clients which included Fortune 500 companies also. Before I moved to US with a new role, I was also the "Module Lead" for my project for almost a year and 7-8 members were working directly under my supervision. I had a promotion 8 months back (is it relevant????).
Cleared and achieved different technical/ Non Technical certifications which includes Microsoft, ITIL (for Service Management).

1. Will this experience good enough for the schools I am aiming for? Is it suitable for 2 years MBA or a shorter duration Executive MBA? Are professional certifications like PMP and CFA help in making life simpler to get into top B Schools?

Degree : B.Tech in Information Technology from one of the Private Engineering Colleges in eastern India. My B.Tech GPA is 8.3 out of 10.

GMAT Score : 680 (AWA: 4.5)
Academics :
10 : 76% (State Board)
12 : 68% (State Board)

2. Does these numbers look impressive? Should I go for another GMAT test to make it better if possible?

Diversity:
Extra Curricular : Freelance software / application development; Photography

Social Activities:
Involved with Companies Corporate Social Responsibility Team (sometimes need to go to primary schools and teach poor children/ donation collection etc.) and Environment Focus Team (was involved in a team for public awareness on different environmental issues etc.).

3. What can I do to make my Extra Curricular segment look more impressive (Can I project photography-which I like to do as a passion)? Will this section impact my overall chance of getting into the schools?

AND Last one is - can you plz site some good examples which might help me to understand, what top schools looks specifically in the crowd of applicants to make their selections (means .. certifications, considerable overseas exposure...some special Extra Curricular skills etc....)??? :roll: :roll: :shock: :shock:

Really appreciate your suggestions here. Thanks.
Send PM
Kudos
One of the main questions to build Stronger MBA applications:

"How do I draft a strong and compelling main MBA application essay?"

You have decided to apply for an MBA. Your GMAT score is in place, your college transcripts are on their way, and your recommenders are lined up with their letters. “All” that remains are your essays.

However, as defined by the experiences of scores of MBA applicants before you, including yours truly at University of Chicago Booth Graduate School of Business, it's the essays that can make or break your application. Before you even consider having someone else write them for you though – stop and consider. One, your essays are your story – your past experiences, present goals, and future ambitions. No one knows your story better. Two, your MBA will be a source of personal pride and professional advancement for the rest of your life – do you really want someone else taking away part of the credit for that achievement? Three, from a more pragmatic perspective, you can learn all the modeling and slide-building skills you want, but it's your communication and presentation skills that will truly be your universal success factors - during MBA, in your first post-MBA job and every switch after.

Those words of caution aside, let's tackle the main MBA application essay question – Why MBA, Why Now, and Why at this School? Any essay that fails to answer one or more of these impacts the applicant's competitiveness.

Why MBA – whether the question explicitly mentions it or not, this should discuss both your short-term and long-term goals. Further, there should be a thread of credibility linking your past achievements with your future ambitions. For those getting an MBA as career enhancers, meeting this requirement is relatively easy – you have done X before MBA, and you are going to business school to continuing doing X, but at a higher level. However, the majority of full-time MBA students are career switchers. In this case, identifying your relevant skills, attributes and experiences that can help you, in conjunction with an MBA, to meet your short-term and long-term goals is crucial. This is where the ACE (Aim, Create and Elevate) process at My MBA Admit/Admit World comes in. We develop a business school admissions strategy, and ensure its adherence through every application component. Throughout the process, every plan and goal put forth in the essay is assessed for innate believability, depth of research, time line adherence and fit to your personal profile. We even offer brainstorming sessions that are geared specifically towards identifying and expanding upon your Why MBA reasons – whether your past experience was in IT, engineering, medicine or music, there is always a way to present your short-term and long-term goals for maximum impact to an admissions committee.

Why Now – if the previous section is done right, this should be a cinch. Inherently, citing long-term and short-term goals involves doing it citing on a time line. The reasoning used here should be geared at convincing an AdCom that since you want to achieve A (long-term goal) in 5 years, you need to do B (short-term goal) before, for which you need an MBA now. For example, many applicants go to business school with the aim of eventually starting their own business (long-term). To start your business, particularly in a field in which you have little experience, it makes sense to work for another firm in that field first (short-term). And to get into such a firm, you need an MBA now (direct answer to question).

Why this School - Finally, it is very important to couch every goal from the point of view of the school. As in citing specific programs, classes and specializations that will help you achieve your goals, to make it clear to the AdCom that this isn't a generic Why MBA essay, but a product of your research that offers a sound reasoning for Why MBA from this School in particular. Whether as a business school interviewer or an MBA admissions consultant, it's always this last factor that makes me give a “Go” on the application.

If you like this post, do give us a Kudos (click on the +1 box on the left). Much appreciated!

Check out our MBA Application Services and Packages at My MBA Admit.
Send PM
lonewolf wrote:
Good morning all, would you please take a look at my profile?

Background
Nationality: Thai-Taiwanese
UG: Double Major in two engineering degrees from UC Berkeley (GPA 3.55)
GMAT: 690 (Q 48, V 37)

Work Experience
-3 Years, Process Integration Engineer at Top 10 semiconductor firm in Japan
-Support customers in process related issues during the development of computer chips
-Consult with fab (semiconductor factory) to decide on solutions/proposals and present them to customers

Extracurricular Activities/Leadership Experience
Undergrad
-Activities Officer for Tau Beta Pi Engineering Honor Society
-Plan and organize over 50 events for TBP, including fun events, social networking, and professional workshops.

Post Undergrad
- Officer for Habitat for Humanity Japan
- Have been involved with Habitat for a long time (Went to Philippines twice to build houses back in high school, was president of community service club back then.)
- Continue participating in Habitat after arriving in Japan. I am in charge of running and planning the monthly meeting where we try to get more people involved in Habitat. I am also the official translator for Habitat in Japan. After my participation, the retention rate and participation rate in builds increased significantly.

Some Other Facts
-Lived in 4 different countries throughout career (Taiwan 12 years, Thailand 6 years, US 4 years, Japan 3 years)
-Able to speak quite a few languages. Mandarin (Native), English (Fluent), Japanese (Fluent), Thai (Basic), Taiwanese (Basic)

Weakness in Application
- Do not have a direct leadership role in work experience. I can talk about holding meetings and being influential to co-workers but do not have someone directly reporting to me.
- A slightly below average GMAT score for top schools

Post MBA
-Management position in semiconductor/consumer electronics industry (more specifically strategy) or management consulting
-Have a strong interest in working in Greater China region due to family and my language ability.

Target Schools
Columbia (Reach) ED/R1
Tuck (Reach) EA/R1
Duke (Competitive) ED/R1
Ross (Competitive) R2
HKUST (Competitive) R2
CUHK/CEBIS (Safety) R2
Other Schools in consideration: UCLA, NYU, Cornell

Questions
1.Can you please comment on my school selections? I am thinking about ED for either Duke or Columbia depending on whether I have a strong enough shot at Columbia ED. Perhaps a few safety/competitive schools to look at as well.
2.Is there anything that stands out from my application that you would suggest me to focus on? If leadership experience question comes along, should I focus on my Habitat role (where I made much greater impact) than my current job role?
3.I just realized that I can still apply to INSEAD Jan 11 Round 3. Do you think I have a shot at it or is it better to wait until next year round 1?
4.Asian schools reputation/info is quite hard to find. So far it seems HKUST is widely recognized in the Greater China Region. Do you have any insights on CUHK or CEIBS?

Thank you so much for your time. I really appreciate any comments/insights.

Hi Lonewolf,

I think you have a strong and diverse profile across the three arenas of professional, academic and personal achievements to adequately make up for a lower GMAT score. In the actual essays and resume, I would like to see more of your achievements come out, as well as the associated soft skills you built as a result.

With regard to your concern on leadership examples, you are still young enough in your career that this requirement is a little more flexible. Also, leadership can be both title and project, and if you don't have enough examples from the workplace, instances from academic or extracurricular activities can suffice.

I think your list of schools is good. I normally recommend 6 schools, and you could add a Competitive and Reach school to your existing list. Considering your profile and that you are starting early (try to apply to as many R1s as you can), I actually don't think you need a Safety school at this stage. Of course, the caveat being that the achievements listed above will translate into well-written essays that showcase your versatility and diversity.

For leadership, see my comment above.

We are working with clients applying to INSEAD R3 now. If you have everything in order, I don't see why not. Otherwise, applying to R1s is always better from a numbers perspective.

On CUHK/CEIBS, see my comments on Safety schools above.

Hope that helps! If you like this post, give us a Kudos (+1 button on the right).

Check out our admission consulting services and packages at My MBA Admit.
Send PM
Kudos
rayecmee wrote:
Could use opinions on whether I have a shot at a top-5 business school? Thanks in advance!

Me: 22,Male,Asian

Undergraduate: Math and Business Double Degree Program

Math Degree is from University of Waterloo (Top five school in Canada, but I am afraid nobody knows it in the states), Major (Statistic and Actuarial science Double Major)
Business Degree (BBA): Wilfrid Laurier Univerisity. Majar in Finance
GPA:3.7

Quantitative classes:Calc,Stats,Algebra, Accounting, Finance

Work experience from co-op education:

Currently doing insider trading research for Toronto Stock Exchange and some professors

4 months Investment banking experience from Scotia Capital ( Top 3 Investment bank in Canada)( For my coming co-op term, Sep 2010- Dec 2010)

4 months Investment portfolio management experience from Sun Life Financial

4 months Actuarial Valuation Analyst experience from Travelers

4 months Financial Analyst experience from American Express

4 months Actuarial Analyst experience from ING

4 months International working experience at Hong Kong Hannover Life Re as accounting researcher

GMAT (March 2009): 740, 40V, 57Q, 4.0AWA

Language: Japanese(10/10), Chinese(10/10), English(8/10)
Etc: Co-leader for a student charity program in the university: create a on-line quiz bank system that is currently used by over 1400 students. Restructure the mentorship program for the double degree program( 60 mentors and 200+ mentees) Stock Analyst for the univeristy student investment fund (500K cash value)

Additional question:
Should I talk about my school and my program since it has no name in the states?
Should I ask reference letter from the marketing prof, finance prof, or the stats prof?

Thanks again,
Ray

Hi Ray,

Academically, your GPA and GMAT are strong. In particular, the high GMAT score will help mitigate any concerns on your academic abilities, as will talking about the college in the resume/data forms to give AdComs a point of reference about your program.

Your personal profile has both diversity (language abilities) and measurable impact (metrics mentioned above). Positioned well, this could be a definite strength.

Professionally, a short stint at so many different places can be a concern, not just for the AdCom but for the future employer as well. This will need to be appropriately described through the resume and data forms, and potentially explained in the optional essay as well.

On describing the school/program, see above.

A letter from any professor is fine, as long as he/she knows you well and can describe your past work and future MBA potential. Do try to get the majority of letters from professional references though.

Hope that helps! If you like this post, give us a Kudos (+1 button on the right).

Check out our admission consulting services and packages at My MBA Admit.
Send PM
Kudos
abhishekaseth wrote:
Hi,

Request your help with my profile evaluation.

Nationality : Indian
Experience : 4
GMAT : 1st Attempt - 700 (51Q, 32 V, 5.0 AWA). Feb’09
2nd Attempt - 710 (50Q, 35V, 4.5 AWA). Apr’10
Undergrad : B.Tech in Computer Science from Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) Roorkee.
Currently pursuing CFA. Written L1 in June 2010, results awaited.

Areas of Interest: Finance –Investment Services/Portfolio Management

Experience details (Total Exp – 4yrs. Employer – Citi India)
1. 2010 Mar – Now: Implementation Manager – Consumer & Commercial Banking – Customer Servicing Channels.
2. 2009-10 – Implementation Manager – Consumer Banking – Credit Initiation (Card, Unsecured Loans & Secured Loans/Lines)
3. 2006-2008 – Business Analyst & Project Manager – Sales & Credit
International Exposure:
1. Business/Cross Team Interaction – Worked for CitiFinancial India, Thailand & Indonesia. And Citibank Singapore, Philippines, Guam, Malaysia, Indonesia and North America.
2. International Travel – Travelled for implementation work to Singapore, Philippines & Malaysia.
Extracurricular:
@college:
• Member of the Executive Council (7 members) of SAC (Students Association Council).
o Received the highest votes for the post of General Secretary in Student Body election, although lost in a lucky draw to resolve the tie.
• Won the 2nd prize in the National Level Business Plan Competition – Corpostrat
• Treasurer of Hobbies Club Festival – Srishti’06. Event initially funded by institute, we made it self-funded with sponsorship around INR 500000, in spite of the fact that festival was held in April just after our Cultural and Technical fest and Financial year end. Conducted workshops by International Speakers and other events to take the festival to new heights.
@work:• Rated ‘1/Outstanding’ in 2 out of 4 appraisals during my tenure in Citi and ‘2/Excellent’ for the rest 2.
• Identified as a HIPO (High Potential Employee).
• Youngest employee to be designated Solution Architect and made an Approver for all high impact requirements of CitiFinancial India, Indo & Thai business.
• Ran collection programs in collaboration with NGO – Goonj and Coordinate donations (Clothes, books, etc) from office colleagues and housing society.

Target Colleges:
- Harvard
- MIT Sloan
- NYU Stern
- Haas
- Ross
- Darden
- Duke Fuqua

I need to shortlist this to 5 colleges. Would be great if you can tag my chances in these. Only criterion for college is great finance faculty & resources, should be in US, Good Alumni network, Scholarship would be an icing on the cake 

Thank you!

Hi Abhishek,

Academically, your GMAT is strong, your undergraduate degree is from a relatively well-known program, and I am assuming you have a reasonable GPA. CFA further substantiates your future career plans in IM, and is a strength for that reason.

Professionally, coming from a well-known employer helps, but from the brief description above, I am not exactly sure what function you work in. From "Implementation", I am guessing IT. If that's the case, although you have the numbers in place (scores, average years of work experience, etc.), I would urge you to really think about your points of differentiation since your profile - Indian male, engineering degree, (guessing) IT experience and switch to finance is one of the most common MBA student profiles. Here, soft skills as you demonstrate from your resume, essays, letters and even data forms will be crucial, since that is a routine AdCom concern for this profile.

On that note, your extracurricular activities help to assuage some of these concerns. Being involved in activities on your own initiative that have a measurable impact can help an admissions reader get a fuller picture of your candidacy and set you apart from those who, on the surface, have a very similar profile. Play these up in your essays, and do promote them, if possible, to show your international perspective.

For the broad career ambitions and school criteria that you have listed above, and considering that I normally advise an application set of 6 schools, your list seems pretty reasonable. If you do want to cut it down, research the employers/career opportunities/academic and extracurricular programs through online research and alumni/current student conversations to figure out which ones appeal to you over the others.

Hope that helps! If you like this post, do give us a Kudos (+1 button on the right).

Check us out at My MBA Admit. If you are ready to start applying, we can set up a Free Initial Consultation to further discuss your application needs and our admission consulting services and packages.
Send PM
Ank84 wrote:
Well I am an MBA aspirant from Mumbai, India
GMAT : 600 ( Q 44, V28)
GPA : 3.5
Graduation : Production Engineering ( Among top 3 rankers in Pune University)
Work Experience : 3 years for a major Indian Company
Extra Cirricular : Represented State for Soccer , Badminton and Hockey.

What are the prospects of me getting addmission??

Regards

Ank

Hi Ank,

With fewer years of work experience than the average of 4-6 years, the AdCom focus shifts more to your academic achievements. If you are trying to get admitted to a top 20 school, your low GMAT score is going to be a concern. I would urge you to retake it.

Check out our admissions consulting services and packages at My MBA Admit. Happy to discuss further through a Free Initial Consultation.
Send PM
cricketbeatsrugby wrote:
Nationality: American (South Asian)
GMAT: 660 (Q:46 V:35) (Retake will be on August 25th.)
GPA: 3.7 (Top 10 undergrad business program)
Work Ex: 16 months as an Investments Analyst (~30 months by Fall 2011)
EC: Lots of volunteer work (humans and animals, some teaching stuff too).

School Choices:
Columbia, Wharton, Northwestern, Harvard (from first to last choice). I'm planning on applying to Columbia and Wharton in R1 and Northwestern and Harvard in R2.

In terms of my work ex, I've been working for a multi-billion dollar real estate developer in the Persian Gulf. Even though my company is a real estate development firm, we operate like a P/E firm so I've been exposed to the P/E side of investments as well. Most of my work, however, deals with real estate development, asset/property management, real estate investments/finance...basically everything there is to see in real estate except for starting and managing your own real estate fund. I've worked on deals involving every type of asset class available in real estate (from undeveloped land to hotels), and I've worked on deals that range from 8-10 figures (in US Dollars).

Long story short, I've had exposure to some huge projects that you normally wouldn't get the chance to work on in the US or in Europe and I've worked on a variety of different types of asset classes and investments within real estate. My involvement on these deals is much greater than the average analyst, and it shows in my knowledge of the real estate industry in not just the Middle East, but in Europe, Asia, and the US. So even though my work ex is a little light, I've probably done more than my peers in the US have.

I know that I want to do real estate finance for the rest of my life, and I'm very familiar with the real estate finance program at Columbia. I plan on visiting Columbia next week on Monday, but I've been in talks with some CBS alums within the real estate industry. From what they've told me, it sounds like a great place to be if you want to do something in real estate. I've also heard very good things about Wharton's RE program, but I'm still doing my DD on the school.

Anyway, thanks for taking the time to read through my profile.

Hi Cric,

For the schools that you have mentioned, particularly in light of your fewer years of work experience, I would like to see a higher GMAT score. Good to read that you plan to retake it.

Regarding your lighter work experience, although you make a strong case for being admitted over those with more years, the first question that comes to mind, is Why Now? Knowing that you are doing well in your career and getting possibly richer experience than your US peers, wouldn't it make more sense to wait a year or two so you get not just the depth of experience, but the length as well, to be as competitive as your classmates? Read the latest My MBA Admit blog entry on writing the main MBA essay in which the Why Now is as important as Why MBA.

In your case, low GMAT and light work experience are both concerns. Although you can possibly raise your GMAT, justifying not just an MBA, but one at this point in your career, will require thought, research and focused positioning.

Hope that helps! If you like this post, do give us a Kudos (+1 button on the right).

Check out our admission consulting services and packages at My MBA Admit. Happy to discuss further in a Free Initial Consultation.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6