Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 05:04 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 05:04

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 3468 [6]
Given Kudos: 210
Concentration: General Management, Nonprofit
Send PM
MBA Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 111 [3]
Given Kudos: 0
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 3468 [0]
Send PM
Re: Calling all HBS 2011 Applicants!! (Including 2+2) [#permalink]
{Reserved as placeholder for future use}

P.S: csguy12, I think you have a pretty solid profile. I wouldn't advice on retaking the GMAT since 750 is a really good score and it'd just seem like you're too score obsessed, IMO. You can try getting a rec from each of your two supervisors, or from someone from your ECs? When did you take your GMAT?

Originally posted by whiplash2411 on 29 Jun 2010, 16:44.
Last edited by whiplash2411 on 02 Jul 2010, 09:09, edited 1 time in total.
Own Kudos [?]: 111 [0]
2+2 INTERVIEW INVITES WILL BE SENT OUT ON
JULY 19TH AS BLOG ENTRY BELOW FROM HER ROYAL HIGHNESS, DEE LEOPOLD, MAKES CLEAR-- AND JUST WHO PREDICTED THAT --WITHIN ONE DAY--IN POST ABOVE :wink:
https://www.hbs.edu/mba/admissions/blog.html#post-2010-06-29
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 211 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.88
Send PM
csguy12 wrote:
School: Stanford
Major: Computer Science with specialization in AI
Minor: Math
Year: Rising Junior
GPA: 3.52(Fr=3.21, Soph=3.79)
Work Experience: Software Engineering Intern (Qualcomm last summer, Google this summer)
GMAT: 750 Q50 V41
Nationality: African American/White
ECs: NSBE Outreach chair, Undergraduate Senate Intern, Social Chair Sigma Chi

Will my freshman year GPA hut me too much? Should I retake the GMAT(I know I can do better on the Verbal)? Also, it's going to be weird getting a second recommendation. I guess I'll try hard to get to know a professor well first quarter of next year. Any advice or thoughts are welcomed. Thanks

Awesome profile! You may not want to hear this, but I'd look closely at the GSB at Stanford. After visiting HBS, I can honestly say that it is a very, VERY different environment from your undergrad institution -- especially when it comes to tech and entrepreneurship (the things I'm guessing you're interested in). You'll probably get in both programs (barring some terrible essays), so there's no need to jump to HBS just because of the 2+2 program. Stanford is more than happy to defer you for two years -- or let you in as an undergrad!

I also understand that you might want a change of scenery... but be sure to visit HBS for a few days DURING CLASSES to get a sense of the environment.

And don't worry about the GPA -- yours is absolutely fine. A weak freshman year is nothing these admissions committees haven't seen before.

Best of luck!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 2.75
WE:General Management (Internet and New Media)
Send PM
Hey guys,

I'm applying for general admission round 1, class of 2013..

currently have 3.5 years (4.5 by next fall) of experience in sports rights management, new media - highly international, entrepreneurial

best of luck to all of you!
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Schools:HBS - Class of 2012, INSEAD,
 Q50  V42
Send PM
Going to HBS this fall, class of 2012. Best of luck to all of you with the applications. If you have any questions, feel free to message me. I'm not hbsguru, but at least I got in without the use of admission consultants so I must have done something right. :)

Hope to meet some of you in the fall of 2011. ;)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [0]
Given Kudos: 17
Concentration: Marketing, General Management
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V39
GRE 1: Q165 V161
GPA: 3.6
WE:Programming (Computer Software)
Send PM
I am in for Round 1
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 224 [0]
Given Kudos: 26
Send PM
rd2 here probably (depending on my work schedule)

+kudos for you for such a comphrehensive post! ... i'ma check out those blog links soon (for extra research)

Originally posted by adalfu on 05 Jul 2010, 01:15.
Last edited by adalfu on 07 Jul 2010, 00:04, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Schools:Wharton, Columbia, Sloan
 Q50  V47
Send PM
in for Round 1!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Send PM
In for Round 2 (most likely)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 107 [0]
Send PM
Guys, I have a quick ques. for applicants.

I am native Indian, currently working in the US for a consulting firm. I completed my undergrad in India from an English medium university (and so was my entire schooling). I have done my GMAT. But do I need to give TOEFL?

I saw the harvard website and it says:
"Candidates who received their bachelor's degree from an English-speaking university are not required to take an English language test (i.e., they are exempt)."

So does that mean I am exempt from giving TOEFL? But how would they know whether I did my undergrad from from an English university? I just have a certificate of my bachelor's degree in English.

I can always check up with the school but thought will get some first hand comments from this forum.

Thank you
SVP
SVP
Send PM
I would advise you to do the TOEFL. But HBS has examples of who needs to get a certificate and who doesn't on their website somewhere. But I think you might be okay. Depends on whether your university is well recognized, as well. But IMHO, taking the TOEFL > not taking it.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [0]
Given Kudos: 17
Concentration: Marketing, General Management
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V39
GRE 1: Q165 V161
GPA: 3.6
WE:Programming (Computer Software)
Send PM
amitdesai16 wrote:
Guys, I have a quick ques. for applicants.

I am native Indian, currently working in the US for a consulting firm. I completed my undergrad in India from an English medium university (and so was my entire schooling). I have done my GMAT. But do I need to give TOEFL?

I saw the harvard website and it says:
"Candidates who received their bachelor's degree from an English-speaking university are not required to take an English language test (i.e., they are exempt)."

So does that mean I am exempt from giving TOEFL? But how would they know whether I did my undergrad from from an English university? I just have a certificate of my bachelor's degree in English.

I can always check up with the school but thought will get some first hand comments from this forum.

Thank you

When you request for transcripts from your university, they usually mention the medium of instruction. If that is the case, you need not take TOEFL. My university does and I see no reason why yours shouldn't.
SVP
SVP
Send PM
amitdesai16, which round are you applying to? Can you please update your information in the spreadsheet? Thanks.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 107 [0]
Send PM
@kingshark - good catch :) i checked my transcript. it mentions on one of its pages that the medium of the instructions during the period of study is english. so that saves me one big to-do on my list!

@whiplash - still contemplating which schools to apply. as soon as i decide, per your suggestion, i will update my information in the sheet.
Own Kudos [?]: 111 [0]
HBS entering class by year of college grad
OFFICIAL HARVARD BUSINESS SCHOOL CHART OF
COLLEGE YEAR OF GRADUATION FOR CLASS ENTERING THIS
SEPTEMBER

YOUTH JIHAD –THE LIVING PROOF.

THESE STATS FROM HBS WEBSITE ARE BASICALLY THE SAME DISTRIBUTION AS THE PAST 4 YEARS OR SO.

https://www.hbs.edu/mba/admissions/blog.html#post-2010-07-07
SO IF YOU ARE APPLYING THIS YEAR, CLASS OF 2005 BECOMES THE DEAD ZONE, E.G. HUGE DROP OFF FROM THE SWEET SPOT–WHICH FOR THIS YEAR IS CLASSES OF 2006, 2007, 2008. NOTE THAT OF THE 113 PEEPS OUTSIDE THE SWEET SPOT (ON THE GEEZER SIDE), WE ARE TALKING SORTA 40 MILITARY, 10-15 MDS, 10-15 PHDS IN BIOSCIENCE ETC. SO THE ACTUAL NUMBER OF NORMAL PEOPLE IN THAT GROUP IS MAYBE 40, MOST OF WHOM ARE IN VERY NEXT CLASS, THIS YEAR, 2005.

ALSO NOTE WILD CARD: NEXT YEAR THE FIRST 2+2 INFANTS ARRIVE –TO WIT, 106 KIDS WHO HAVE ALREADY BEEN ACCEPTED AND ARE COLLEGE CLASS OF 2008, NOT SURE IF THAT WILL SWELL THE SWEET SPOT EVEN MORE, IF HBS WILL INCREASE ENROLLMENT (DONT THINK SO) OR WHAAAA–INCLUDING JUST TAKING 106 LESS KIDS ACROSS THE ENTIRE AGE BRACKETS, WHICH WLD STILL HAVE IMPACT OF MAKING CLASS EVEN YOUNGER.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [0]
Given Kudos: 104
Concentration: Finance; Entrepreneurship
Schools:MIT Sloan Class of 2013
 Q49  V36
Send PM
Should applicants address "why HBS" in any of the questions?
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 3468 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
BruceLee: I don't think you should do it directly. Maybe show a connection to the HBS principles and values, and you should be good.

hbsguru: I think the first 2+2 admit letters went out September 2008, which means they're the graduating class of 2009 aye? (Admit letters go out fall semester of senior year, and most people graduate spring semester).

So, Spring 2009 + 2 years = Spring 2011, and they'll enter in the class of 2013, I suppose?

Just wondering if you knew anything about how the class size will be affected? Will the admits from the regular rounds go down to 800 instead of 900? Or is it more likely for them to increase class size? Random question, really.

hbsguru wrote:
HBS entering class by year of college grad
OFFICIAL HARVARD BUSINESS SCHOOL CHART OF
COLLEGE YEAR OF GRADUATION FOR CLASS ENTERING THIS
SEPTEMBER

YOUTH JIHAD –THE LIVING PROOF.

THESE STATS FROM HBS WEBSITE ARE BASICALLY THE SAME DISTRIBUTION AS THE PAST 4 YEARS OR SO.

https://www.hbs.edu/mba/admissions/blog.html#post-2010-07-07
SO IF YOU ARE APPLYING THIS YEAR, CLASS OF 2005 BECOMES THE DEAD ZONE, E.G. HUGE DROP OFF FROM THE SWEET SPOT–WHICH FOR THIS YEAR IS CLASSES OF 2006, 2007, 2008. NOTE THAT OF THE 113 PEEPS OUTSIDE THE SWEET SPOT (ON THE GEEZER SIDE), WE ARE TALKING SORTA 40 MILITARY, 10-15 MDS, 10-15 PHDS IN BIOSCIENCE ETC. SO THE ACTUAL NUMBER OF NORMAL PEOPLE IN THAT GROUP IS MAYBE 40, MOST OF WHOM ARE IN VERY NEXT CLASS, THIS YEAR, 2005.

ALSO NOTE WILD CARD: NEXT YEAR THE FIRST 2+2 INFANTS ARRIVE –TO WIT, 106 KIDS WHO HAVE ALREADY BEEN ACCEPTED AND ARE COLLEGE CLASS OF 2008, NOT SURE IF THAT WILL SWELL THE SWEET SPOT EVEN MORE, IF HBS WILL INCREASE ENROLLMENT (DONT THINK SO) OR WHAAAA–INCLUDING JUST TAKING 106 LESS KIDS ACROSS THE ENTIRE AGE BRACKETS, WHICH WLD STILL HAVE IMPACT OF MAKING CLASS EVEN YOUNGER.
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  147   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts