Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 01:03 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 01:03

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72862 [0]
Given Kudos: 18857
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Affiliations: HEC
Own Kudos [?]: 1123 [1]
Given Kudos: 432
Concentration: Economics, Finance
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V44
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Re: how much gmat score needed for lse ms in finance course? [#permalink]
Kudos
Nitesh,

I would use the following link as guidance (see page 5):

https://www2.lse.ac.uk/finance/prospecti ... 200910.pdf

This is actually for the Msc Finance and Economics, but it is housed in the same department and is also super-competitive. The Msc Finance PDF brochure did not list the test scores, probably because it is a newer program but I think this will give you a close enough comparison.

Be warned though, they place a lot of emphasis on the quant section. I would aim for at least a 48 Q score.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1123 [0]
Good link, mrmachineman82!

And I completely agree with you that a very high quant score is recommended. If my memory serves me correctly, applicants can list two programs for admission. If you have the math background and high quant score, then this is a good option.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
mrmachineman82 wrote:
Nitesh,

I would use the following link as guidance (see page 5):

https://www2.lse.ac.uk/finance/prospecti ... 200910.pdf

This is actually for the Msc Finance and Economics, but it is housed in the same department and is also super-competitive. The Msc Finance PDF brochure did not list the test scores, probably because it is a newer program but I think this will give you a close enough comparison.

Be warned though, they place a lot of emphasis on the quant section. I would aim for at least a 48 Q score.

After looking at the pdf document I am wondering, what exactly makes the program at LSE so competitive? I am asking this because of a lack of knowledge of European Msc programs not because I don't believe it is competitive. The reason I ask is because the average GMAT score is around 670. Although that is a solid average it isn't ridiculously high. Do the kids that get in have amazing stats/experience in other metrics?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Well, one thing to keep in mind is that the majority of LSE graduate students are international. Most likely English is not the first language for a large proportion of the student body - which would probably lead to a lower average verbal score on the GMAT, thus dragging down the averages. Also, as from what I have gathered the LSE places more emphasis on your undergrad transcript than the GMAT. I think for most programs you must have at least a 2:1, which I believe is comparable to a 3.5 GPA here in the states (don't quote me on this though). Some of the finance/econ related degrees don't even require the GMAT. I suspect that they are looking at the Quant score more than the total score.

As far as the level of competition... for the MSc Fin&Econ the intake/applications in 2008 was 85/1,347 (about 6%) and for the MSc Finance the intake/applications in 2008 was 46/1,790 (about 2.5%). I really can not speculate whether these were all qualified applicants or not. But, many of the student profiles I have read over have been quite impressive and, yes, many of them do have very solid work experience.
Overall, I do not think the GMAT average is telling the whole story here. I have heard of people on other message boards with GMAT scores in excess of 740 being swiftly rejected.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1123 [1]
Kudos
mrmachineman82 wrote:
I have heard of people on other message boards with GMAT scores in excess of 740 being swiftly rejected.

I was quickly dinged despite my GMAT score and GPA. In hindsight, the essay portion probably sealed my fate. I tried to be "creative" with it, but this approach probably came off as cheap and lame. Nobody to blame but myself.

nbd52 wrote:
After looking at the pdf document I am wondering, what exactly makes the program at LSE so competitive? Do the kids that get in have amazing stats/experience in other metrics?

It's competitive for the same reasons that make Harvard and INSEAD competitive. LSE has world class teachers, facilities, and other resources. It's located in London - one of the financial and political centers of the world. Many students are extremely bright and driven. It also has a rich academic history and strong reputation. These are some reasons why so many apply. Add that to space limitations, and we can understand why the acceptance rates are so low.

And while a number of students are young, many others are professionals who have worked for years in London. The part time MSc Finance program is designed for such people. And I think it's safe to assume that many of the students have a very strong resume.

But I don't mean to discourage anyone. If you think that you have a solid chance of becoming an LSE student, then I say go for it! Besides, the school has a huge amount of graduate programs to choose from besides the MSc Finance, and some of them wouldn't be hard to get into. Admissions for the MSc Economic History, for instance, is not as competitive as the International Relations or Finance programs.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
mrmachineman82 wrote:
Well, one thing to keep in mind is that the majority of LSE graduate students are international. Most likely English is not the first language for a large proportion of the student body - which would probably lead to a lower average verbal score on the GMAT, thus dragging down the averages. Also, as from what I have gathered the LSE places more emphasis on your undergrad transcript than the GMAT. I think for most programs you must have at least a 2:1, which I believe is comparable to a 3.5 GPA here in the states (don't quote me on this though). Some of the finance/econ related degrees don't even require the GMAT. I suspect that they are looking at the Quant score more than the total score.

As far as the level of competition... for the MSc Fin&Econ the intake/applications in 2008 was 85/1,347 (about 6%) and for the MSc Finance the intake/applications in 2008 was 46/1,790 (about 2.5%). I really can not speculate whether these were all qualified applicants or not. But, many of the student profiles I have read over have been quite impressive and, yes, many of them do have very solid work experience.
Overall, I do not think the GMAT average is telling the whole story here. I have heard of people on other message boards with GMAT scores in excess of 740 being swiftly rejected.

Thanks. I figured this much. I remember reading a post on another forum from a girl who was admitted to the LSE MSc Finance program with a GMAT score of 610 but she was a rockstar in all other categories. 3 years work experience in 3 different countries (all solid experiences), fluent in 4 languages, president of 2 business related clubs, extensive community service, etc. LSE does a good job of admitting students with impressive experiences and a variety of different backgrounds.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
bmillan01 wrote:
mrmachineman82 wrote:
I have heard of people on other message boards with GMAT scores in excess of 740 being swiftly rejected.

I was quickly dinged despite my GMAT score and GPA. In hindsight, the essay portion probably sealed my fate. I tried to be "creative" with it, but this approach probably came off as cheap and lame. Nobody to blame but myself.

Your profile says you are at HEC. That's a pretty damn good alternative to LSE. :)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Send PM
bmillan01 wrote:
mrmachineman82 wrote:

nbd52 wrote:
After looking at the pdf document I am wondering, what exactly makes the program at LSE so competitive? Do the kids that get in have amazing stats/experience in other metrics?

It's competitive for the same reasons that make Harvard and INSEAD competitive. LSE has world class teachers, facilities, and other resources. It's located in London - one of the financial and political centers of the world. Many students are extremely bright and driven. It also has a rich academic history and strong reputation. These are some reasons why so many apply. Add that to space limitations, and we can understand why the acceptance rates are so low.

And while a number of students are young, many others are professionals who have worked for years in London. The part time MSc Finance program is designed for such people. And I think it's safe to assume that many of the students have a very strong resume.

But I don't mean to discourage anyone. If you think that you have a solid chance of becoming an LSE student, then I say go for it! Besides, the school has a huge amount of graduate programs to choose from besides the MSc Finance, and some of them wouldn't be hard to get into. Admissions for the MSc Economic History, for instance, is not as competitive as the International Relations or Finance programs.

I know this is a very old thread. I am curious what you did for your personal statement. What do you mean by creative? Just wondering because you had great #s and sometimes people are overly critical of themselves and what seems like cheap or lame might not be.

Did you have a lot of finance experience prior?
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance
Schools:Wharton, LBS, LSE, DSF, ISB
Send PM
I totally agree with bmillan01!
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1123 [0]
sailtheworld wrote:
I know this is a very old thread. I am curious what you did for your personal statement. What do you mean by creative? Just wondering because you had great #s and sometimes people are overly critical of themselves and what seems like cheap or lame might not be.

Did you have a lot of finance experience prior?

LSE has only one essay question, and it's quite an open one. If memory serves me correctly, it was basically "write everything and whatever you want in two pages." At least that's what it felt like. So I decided to concoct a mock interview with myself in the form of a conversation. I asked myself questions and would answer them. It was titled "blah on blah" as a reference to F. A Hayek, a noble laureate economist who once taught at LSE (his autobiography, which takes the same form as my application essay, is Hayek on Hayek). And "blah" in this post stands for my last name (my real last name isn't "blah," by the way)."

The questions dealt with topics that would have been mentioned anyway in the essay (reasons for applying, why now, goals, etc.). But I wanted to add a bit of character instead of just putting "my goal is x and LSE is good because of Y and my thesis will be on Z."

And yes, this was a risky move on my part. I realized this from the start. But confronted with a 2.6 percent acceptance rate, the odds were against me anyway. Plus, I had completed a number of standard application essays from other schools at this time, so my brain's logic system was a bit warped.

Looking back, my approach was a mistake. My self-imposed interview questions acted as a cage and constrained me to my comfort zone. LSE (I suspect) wanted creativity, precision, and uniqueness in my thought process. I shouldn't have relied on questions to guide me through the essay.

And my background did not serve me that well, I'm afraid. Sure, I have good grades from a small university and a solid GMAT score. But that doesn't make me stand out. I lived in Japan and studied the language over there, and this was a plus. But no interesting work experience did not help my case.

But I am currently correcting these omissions. I am a student at HEC and have a solid internship in Asia lined up for September. Afterward, I hope to do another internship after that. Later this year, I will decide whether or not to re-apply to the MSc Finance program, apply to a different MSc program, or just look for a job.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Useful topic !!!
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
I have a CGPA of 6.95/7.00 in Bachelors of Commerce(Financial Markets) from University of Mumbai,India.
My GRE score is 317(Q:165, V:152) and IELTS 7.5. I have one internship of 1 month and I am currently working in my family business.(since 2 months). Will my low verbal GRE score be a deterrent?What are my chances of getting into MSC Finance and risk
I wish to work in IB or consultancy after graduating. Any alternate suggestions will be appreciated.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Senior Moderator - Masters Forum
3137 posts