Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 10:50 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 10:50

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72855 [10]
Given Kudos: 18857
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 765 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Duke (Fuqua) - Class of 2012
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 188 [0]
Given Kudos: 157
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 3468 [0]
Given Kudos: 210
Concentration: General Management, Nonprofit
Send PM
Re: Admission Chances for GMAT Club Members - Shocking? [#permalink]
bb: Perhaps you could evaluate forum participation as one of the criteria and do further analysis on that?

As you said, just registration isn't a big factor, but I think the difference arises because you benefit from the combined knowledge of fellow applicants and admits. And that is a huge deal in that, you get something out of their experience to enrich yours.

Perhaps, if you count like the average kudos or posts or registration period of these admits and publish those statistics it might be easier to say for sure that participation in the forum has contributed even further than what we think. Of course, there's always a large group of people who just read without replying, but just my two cents. Excellent initiative, though. +1.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 61 [1]
Given Kudos: 12
Concentration: Finance & Entreprenuerial Management
Schools:Wharton Class of 2012 w/ fellowship
GPA: 3.4 - Top 5 UG
Send PM
Kudos
This is very much an appreciated effort, but I would take it with a grain of salt especially being we have so many lurkers/first time posters who don't really use GMAT Club but will register just to report an acceptance, on the other hand, not that I blame them, there are alot of lurkers/members who don't reports dings.

I know last year the number of posters with 1-10 posts simply reporting an admit was a bit of an annoyance for those of us who had really worked to use and build this community. To that point, I'd think these numbers would be better if we discounted any admissions decisions from those with less than 10 posts.
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72855 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
Thank you all for comments.
I will try to dig in deeper to see the correlation between participation and admission.

The only comment I have about lurkers is that they are not necessarily out. A lurker may visit the site more often than others and learn more from it than a person with many posts - that's not an exception. I lurk on a few other travel-related forums. Does not mean I don't visit/engage. I just don't feel I can add any value - I am learning....
SVP
SVP
Status:<strong>Nothing comes easy: neither do I want.</strong>
Own Kudos [?]: 3593 [0]
Given Kudos: 235
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
Schools: ISB '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 670 Q49 V31
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V35
Send PM
That is great !!! Hard work is always paid off.
I agree with BB, there are many users who just surf GMATCLUB , gain strategies , and never come back. Having high number of posts/kudos signifies more contribution to the community than the person himself. ( Though we learn back a lot but still ratio is low)

Even if we assume that the participation of the lurkers who do not contribute and still admits to top the B school is comparable to those who just register and do not participate much , this statistics will be quite accurate.

The crux is - If you are a member of GmatClub, the probability of getting admission in top b school is more than of non members of GmatClub.

:)
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 806 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General/Operations Management
Schools:Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
 Q49  V42
Send PM
The shocking things is how many people in a class have been on this board at one time or another. Other sites have faded quickly (does anyone still use admissions411???)

Though the matriculation numbers seem a bit off. There has to be much more overlap in admits but all those schools have like 90% of admits going there.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 373 [0]
Given Kudos: 38
Concentration: Finance &amp; Strategic Management
Schools:Wharton/Lauder Class of 2013
 Q50  V41
GPA: 3.6
WE 1: Big Four Advisory
Send PM
Interesting stat, but the opposite could be true as well. People who are more likely to put in the effort and more likely to get admitted are more likely to join and be active on GMATC. Applicants less inclined to put in the effort required to get an admit might be less likely to join GMATC. This could be a classic Critical Reasoning question stem.

In other news, does this mean if I'm applying to MIT, I should get off this site pronto! :lol:
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72855 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
staind wrote:

In other news, does this mean if I'm applying to MIT, I should get off this site pronto! :lol:

I am afraid so - I think they don't like the social type :wink:
SVP
SVP
Status:<strong>Nothing comes easy: neither do I want.</strong>
Own Kudos [?]: 3593 [0]
Given Kudos: 235
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
Schools: ISB '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 670 Q49 V31
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V35
Send PM
bb wrote:
staind wrote:

I am afraid so - I think they don't like the social type :wink:

:lol: Its because Gmat Club members always have Harvard/Stanford/Wharton as their top priority and they spend lesser time for the application of their second tier choice - MIT
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: International business, pharmaceutical, bio-tech
Schools:Cambridge/Judge '11
Send PM
Interesting results. I agree, the correlation that first comes to mind is that those who actually bother to put in a lot of time in their applications, including searching for tips and clues and help from GMATClub, will stand a better chance in getting admitted. This doesn't necessarily mean one must be active on the board - it could simply mean lurking around, absorbing ideas and information.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
Actually, for MIT, average acceptance rate this year was 11%. Not sure where 15% comes from, but I could be wrong. There were 4782 applicants and little over 500 were admitted like last year (between 550-570), so math doesn't work to be 15%, so basically, I think GMAT people beat the average for MIT so I don't think that minus 20% discrepancy for GMAT club members vs. average applicants acceptance rate for MIT is accurate.
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72855 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
MBAatMIT2010 wrote:
Actually, for MIT, average acceptance rate this year was 11%. Not sure where 15% comes from, but I could be wrong. There were 4782 applicants and little over 500 were admitted like last year (between 550-570), so math doesn't work to be 15%, so basically, I think GMAT people beat the average for MIT so I don't think that minus 20% discrepancy for GMAT club members vs. average applicants acceptance rate for MIT is accurate.

Thanks!!! The numbers are from last year's rankings as reported by BW and USNews
Which tells me other numbers will need to be adjusted for this year's rates
Intern
Intern
Send PM
bb wrote:
MBAatMIT2010 wrote:

Thanks!!! The numbers are from last year's rankings as reported by BW and USNews
Which tells me other numbers will need to be adjusted for this year's rates

My pleasure. You are probably right. Other school's numbers probably should also be updated, although I believe HBS is still at 11% when I checked their school website. I think the numbers have not all been finalized yet for most schools (waitlist/final enrollment for Fall), so it's hard to get definitive numbers yet.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Finance, International Business
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.1
WE:Business Development (Manufacturing)
Send PM
MBAatMIT2010 wrote:

You're not taking into account yield. Not all students admitted attend the school
Intern
Intern
Send PM
stupandaus wrote:
MBAatMIT2010 wrote:

You're not taking into account yield. Not all students admitted attend the school

I know. The 550-570 number I posted is acceptance rate (those who get in regardless of what they decide to do). The current class is roughly 410 students (up from 393 last year), so yield of ~70%. Either way, I think numbers we are reporting for all schools are just acceptance rate. Yield rate is not part of what we are discussing.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Finance, International Business
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.1
WE:Business Development (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Ahh. My mistake then
Intern
Intern
Send PM
stupandaus wrote:
Ahh. My mistake then

Hey, that's ok. The numbers are sort of confusing right now because many schools have not published their admission statistics for the latest class and it seems like the consensus is that most school's acceptance rate has dipped from previous years. I just didn't want people to compare GMAT member's 2012 admission rate to 2011 average admission rates. If we compare to 2012 average admission rate, the GMAT people's numbers should align even more favorably, which is good for us!
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 91 [0]
Given Kudos: 57
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
GPA: 3.14
Send PM
bb wrote:
I would also argue that the forum helps applicants estimate their chances better and thus if they know, the school is a stretch, they are not wasting their effort on unreasonable goals.

I think this is really coming into play with the HBS numbers. Despite being the most highly desired program (arguably), and having the largest class size and total # of applicants, only 112 GC members applied, vs much higher #s for smaller programs. I conclude that GC members are better informed about HBS admissions than the general MBA applicant population and therefore focus their efforts elsewhere. I would say that the numbers are telling us that GC probably increases your odds of getting into a top program AND makes your application efforts more efficient.

I was also surprised by the matriculation numbers. I would have expected more overlap... the numbers seem to suggest that most admits only got into one top school, and that doesn't really make sense esp with the HSW admits.
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   3