Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 13:01 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 13:01

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 27
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Given Kudos: 19
Schools:Cambridge (R2-Matriculating), Nyenrode (Accepted), Oxford (R2-Interview invite)
 Q46  V41
WE 1: Army officer (Corps of Engineers)
WE 2: Air Quality Control Engineer
WE 3: Water Resources Engineer
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Schools:University of San Diego
Send PM
Re: Americans Moving (Moved) to England/UK [#permalink]
Curious to find out more about this as well...I'm an American and my top choices right now are in England, and I have not ruled out the possibility of sticking around either in the UK or in Europe upon graduation from a business school...
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Sorry for the delayed response. Been running around quite a bit lately. Thanks to everyone for replying.

I suppose my pros and cons are as follows:

Pros (i.e. reasons in favor of moving from the US to the UK)
- Living in or near Europe (depending on your feelings on this very touchy subject) and among cultures with qualities of life built upon centuries of art, architecture, and cuisine, and where beauty, pleasure, and the company of others are highly valued.
- Living away from a society built upon substantially different pillars, including the constitutional or God-given right to own assault weapons, the 60-hour work week with little to no real vacation, strip mall restaurants and Burger King.
- Raising the kid(s) in a country just a quick flight from other countries where different languages are spoken and different traditions observed
- Raising kid(s) where quality public education and equal access to health care are defended as basic rights.
- The thrill of moving some place new.

Cons (i.e. reasons to stay in the US)
- Family is here. It would be great for my parents to be grandparents and to see our kid(s) grow.
- The weather (I'm also in California), the Pacific ocean, and the wild outdoors here.
- I'm an entrepreneur and I know next to nothing about starting businesses in the UK. That said, my businesses running in the US will be fine.

I'm afraid I don't know much about US citizen taxation abroad, but I'd like to know...
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Boy was I in a dark mood yesterday. In case I didn't scare everybody off, I have another question: What do people think about moving from the US to the UK to do a one-year program? Can Americans land a job in the UK at the end of a one year program? Is that enough time to adapt to the system, make contacts, and score a job?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
I've got a few friends in London from the US WEst Coast - it's a long way from home and they complain quite a lot about rarely getting home to see their family... I run my own business in London and it's tough - expensive and a lot of bureaucracy - although on the flip-side I've got great access to international labour and in a good time zone for international business...
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: Supply Chain Management\Operations\Logistics
Schools:UMD Smith, MSU Broad w/$$, Northeastern w/$$$, PSU Smeal - cancelled int, withdrawn
 Q45  V40
GPA: 3.05
WE 1: Real Estate - 4 yrs
WE 2: Manufacturing - 1 yr
Send PM
Thanks for starting this topic, as I am wrestling with many of the same questions.

Since I'm a single individual who is feeling jaded by American culture, the personal/lifestyle reasons to move to the UK/EU are massively appealing, but obviously the MBA investment must get enough of a return in the job market. Someone out there must have the answers!

skahuh wrote:
What do people think about moving from the US to the UK to do a one-year program? Can Americans land a job in the UK at the end of a one year program? Is that enough time to adapt to the system, make contacts, and score a job?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Faced with the choice of living in the US and working 60-80 hrs/wk or living in the UK or Europe working 35-37.5 hrs/wk with the disparity in vacation leave, what would you choose? Work/life balance seems elusive for US MBAs, whereas UK MBAs seem to have it made in that sense.

To everyone struggling with this difficult decision: keep us posted! Perhaps we'll even meet up across the pond in the not-too-distant future.

This post inspired by this article from the BBC: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-11139960
Manager
Manager
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
skahuh wrote:
Faced with the choice of living in the US and working 60-80 hrs/wk or living in the UK or Europe working 35-37.5 hrs/wk with the disparity in vacation leave, what would you choose? Work/life balance seems elusive for US MBAs, whereas UK MBAs seem to have it made in that sense.

To everyone struggling with this difficult decision: keep us posted! Perhaps we'll even meet up across the pond in the not-too-distant future.

This post inspired by this article from the BBC: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-11139960

I have nothing to back this up with, but I cant imagine people post-MBA will be working less than 40 hours a week. Industry, Consulting or Finance, I just cant imagine it. More vacation, or a culture that accepts you actually taking your existing vacation, sure, but 40 hours a week?? Does anyone know someone working post-MBA at 40 hours a week in the UK?
GMAT Club Bot